GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 299,939
Threads: 114,200
Posts: 2,151,434
Welcome to our newest member, beydevadri
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 08-04-2004, 05:12 PM
TSteven TSteven is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 3,596
I posted this elsewhere, but figured it might go well here too.

A good friend of mine loves to tell the story of her first rush party. She was very eager and right up in the front. Little did she know that the group would *throw open the door* and coming running at the PNMs singing, clapping and way too perky. She screamed in shock (horror?) and turned to run and ran smack dab into the rest of her rush group.

Thanks sageofages. I've edited due to my happy fingers.

Last edited by TSteven; 08-04-2004 at 05:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-04-2004, 05:32 PM
sageofages sageofages is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,935
Send a message via AIM to sageofages
A story so nice...you had to tell it twice
__________________
"Pam" Bäckström, DY '81, WSU, Dayton, OH - Bloomington, IN
Phi Mu - Love.Honor.Truth - 1852 - Imagine.Believe.Achieve - 2013 - 161Years of Wonderful -
Proud to be a member of the Macon Magnolias - Phi Mu + Alpha Delta Pi
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-15-2010, 01:33 AM
littleowl33 littleowl33 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 614
I burst out laughing when I read the OP's story. That must have been awful!

My (biological) little sister had an awkward moment when she mixed up Phi Mu and Alpha Phi at Phi Mu's party. She and her Phi Mu rusher were talking about going abroad and she enthusiastically asked how many Alpha Phis went abroad every year. She said her rusher looked really uncomfortable and said, "Um, I don't know..." then changed the subject. She didn't realize she had mixed them up until later in the conversation and she tried to explain, but they never quite got back on track. She was surprised to be invited back for the next round but ultimately didn't pledge there.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-15-2010, 01:36 AM
AOII Angel's Avatar
AOII Angel AOII Angel is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Santa Monica/Beverly Hills
Posts: 8,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl33 View Post
I burst out laughing when I read the OP's story. That must have been awful!

My (biological) little sister had an awkward moment when she mixed up Phi Mu and Alpha Phi at Phi Mu's party. She and her Phi Mu rusher were talking about going abroad and she enthusiastically asked how many Alpha Phis went abroad every year. She said her rusher looked really uncomfortable and said, "Um, I don't know..." then changed the subject. She didn't realize she had mixed them up until later in the conversation and she tried to explain, but they never quite got back on track. She was surprised to be invited back for the next round but ultimately didn't pledge there.
Whoops! Oh well...she ended up in the right chapter in the end.
__________________

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!




Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-26-2010, 11:58 PM
COBaby COBaby is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: sun hat country
Posts: 28
This should have been embarrassing for the PNM but somehow wasn't.

We had to sit on the floor for round 2, and we had a lot more girls than we were expecting, so it was really close quarters. All the girls are wearing cute knee-length dresses (so are we), and as they come in and sit down, they tuck their knees under themselves. Then my PNM comes in with no makeup, a short jean skirt, and a pair of black tights, and she sits down CROSS-LEGGED and there is a HUGE hole in her tights -literally the whole crotch is ripped- and she's wearing WHITE underwear. There's no way to not notice it, but of course I have to pretend like everything's normal. So I'm trying to talk to her, and she's kind of picking at her (uncombed hair). She finally cuts me off mid-sentence and says, "Do you think I should wash my hair sometimes?"
I have never been so glad in my life to be bumped.

Needless to say, she was not invited back. I don't think she pledged anywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 08-27-2010, 12:16 AM
preciousjeni preciousjeni is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NooYawk
Posts: 5,504
Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBaby View Post
This should have been embarrassing for the PNM but somehow wasn't.

We had to sit on the floor for round 2, and we had a lot more girls than we were expecting, so it was really close quarters. All the girls are wearing cute knee-length dresses (so are we), and as they come in and sit down, they tuck their knees under themselves. Then my PNM comes in with no makeup, a short jean skirt, and a pair of black tights, and she sits down CROSS-LEGGED and there is a HUGE hole in her tights -literally the whole crotch is ripped- and she's wearing WHITE underwear. There's no way to not notice it, but of course I have to pretend like everything's normal. So I'm trying to talk to her, and she's kind of picking at her (uncombed hair). She finally cuts me off mid-sentence and says, "Do you think I should wash my hair sometimes?"
I have never been so glad in my life to be bumped.

Needless to say, she was not invited back. I don't think she pledged anywhere.
Sounds like a set-up.
__________________
ONE LOVE, For All My Life

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-27-2010, 12:49 AM
COBaby COBaby is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: sun hat country
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
Sounds like a set-up.
I thought so, too, but a couple of my friends from other sororities mentioned her for the exact same reason. She was just really weird.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-27-2010, 12:50 AM
twinkle555 twinkle555 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: La La Land
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBaby View Post
This should have been embarrassing for the PNM but somehow wasn't.

We had to sit on the floor for round 2, and we had a lot more girls than we were expecting, so it was really close quarters. All the girls are wearing cute knee-length dresses (so are we), and as they come in and sit down, they tuck their knees under themselves. Then my PNM comes in with no makeup, a short jean skirt, and a pair of black tights, and she sits down CROSS-LEGGED and there is a HUGE hole in her tights -literally the whole crotch is ripped- and she's wearing WHITE underwear. There's no way to not notice it, but of course I have to pretend like everything's normal. So I'm trying to talk to her, and she's kind of picking at her (uncombed hair). She finally cuts me off mid-sentence and says, "Do you think I should wash my hair sometimes?"
I have never been so glad in my life to be bumped.

Needless to say, she was not invited back. I don't think she pledged anywhere.
That HAD to be intentional...hopefully lol.
__________________
"It's not a house, it's a h o m e."- ΑΟΠ
Recruitment Advisor
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 09-08-2010, 04:42 PM
sigmaceli sigmaceli is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV by way of LSU/FIU
Posts: 221
My first recruitment as a Sister had so many interesting issues.

I had to jump out of the way to avoid while still catching a young woman who projectile vomited all over the entrance of our party on the first night of recruitment. I felt bad for the poor girl and carried her right over to the Rho Gamma to take her to the bathroom across the hall. It completely ruined the party because a group of sisters and advisors rushed over to start cleaning up.

We are the perennial chapter who struggles in formal recruitment, so after it happened, me and one of my chapter sisters were like, "Really? We induce vomiting?" Definitely put a damper on recruitment, lol. We actually did decent that year - just one short of quota.

Now, the girl who talked about how much she loved chicken wings is a story for another day...
__________________
friendship I character I conduct
"My mom told me I picked the right guy when she found out he was a BQP!"
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06-21-2015, 11:33 PM
navane navane is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microbiomajor View Post
Okay...this happened to one of my sisters this year, and I still crack up thinking about it! We were all wearing white t-shirts for our first rounds, and one of my sisters went up to a group of sisters. (we have 50 women in the suite, and only about 20 prospectives going through each party, so sometimes small groups stand together so we don't overwhelm the guests...anyway)She wrapped her arms around one of them and exclaimed "I am sweating like a beast!" only to discover that the woman was a guest wearing a white shirt and talking to a couple of sisters! The woman never came back to second rounds...we'll always wonder!


Hahahahaha!!!!!
__________________
GFB Z
Gamma Phi Beta

Connect. Impact. Shine.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-26-2015, 03:01 PM
AGDCanada11 AGDCanada11 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 146
Bumping this one!
__________________
"Our sisterhood is not a destination, but a journey."

ΑΓΔ
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 05-22-2016, 03:56 PM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,128
I have loved this thread for years!
__________________
"Yo ho, yo ho, over the raging seas we go! Yo ho ho ho, wherever the four winds blow!
HEY!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 05-22-2016, 09:14 PM
Sciencewoman's Avatar
Sciencewoman Sciencewoman is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,809
^^^ I'm with my Pi Phi daughter for graduation week...we both just got a huge laugh out of the Pi Phi/Wishbone TV show story (she loved that show when she was little).

I haven't seen this thread before...thanks for the bump!
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 05-22-2016, 10:06 PM
clemsongirl clemsongirl is online now
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: colonial thrilliamsburg
Posts: 1,834
Now that I'm graduated I feel like I can share!

During recruitment one year, a PNM apparently asked an active during our third round parties what color shorts to wear to match her Bid Day t-shirt from us. I don't know if she ended up joining us or not but I'm hoping the answer is no.

We also had a PNM display her "talent" as she called it up picking things up with her feet by taking off her flip-flop, dropping her napkin from the drink cups we'd passed out on the floor and then picking it up with her toes. It was bold, I'll give her that.

I mostly just feel bad for these girls because they quickly became the stories of our chapter. I hope they found other homes!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 05-23-2016, 01:10 AM
ColdInCanada11 ColdInCanada11 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Now that I'm graduated I feel like I can share!

During recruitment one year, a PNM apparently asked an active during our third round parties what color shorts to wear to match her Bid Day t-shirt from us. I don't know if she ended up joining us or not but I'm hoping the answer is no.

We also had a PNM display her "talent" as she called it up picking things up with her feet by taking off her flip-flop, dropping her napkin from the drink cups we'd passed out on the floor and then picking it up with her toes. It was bold, I'll give her that.

I mostly just feel bad for these girls because they quickly became the stories of our chapter. I hope they found other homes!
As a ballet dancer, I would just chalk it up to her doing strength exercises for her feet haha (I forgot that not everyone spends 10-15 minutes a day on foot strength...) I enjoy the hutzpah of the first PNM, but I would have just said "None"
__________________
AGD
Squirrels just want to have fun!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.