GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,363
2 members and 2,361 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-01-2016, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

New Here, looking for advice at Mich. State Uni.

Hey,
I'm Mike. I am a military veteran. I was US Army for 10 years. Im a war veteran and like most, I entered college at a later age. I will be a transfer student. I completed my 2 year in California and have since decided to finish out my four year at MSU. I am currently 33 years old and will be 34 once I start attending MSU. I really want to join a Frat as when I was younger I used to hang out with different Frats and I know that there is no better way to meet people, and the brotherhood is something I really enjoy. My ex was also her sorority president so I am not new to the semi formals, formals, greek life in general and philanthropy (I used to help their sorority out a lot).

I was wondering how different Frats at MSU looked at military veterans that are older when rushing Frats and also how they viewed Transfers. Greek Rank seems to be full of self raters, which makes it really difficult to even get a feel for how particular chapters of fraternities are at MSU. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-01-2016, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

At 34, I think you're going to have a hard time socializing with 20-somethings, but hey, you're welcome to try. You might contact the MSU Greek Life office with these inquiries. They can get you specifics.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-01-2016, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Tbh, most of my friends are younger. Im not one of those krusty oldies hahaha. But yeah, ive seen people bring up that issue before.thanks so much for the advice about the greek life office. Planned on calling them monday.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

The university offices will most likely all be closed for Independence Day.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Too true. Totally forgot about the 4th of July. Im not a big fan of fireworks for various reasons
Old 07-02-2016, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtransfer View Post
Tbh, most of my friends are younger. Im not one of those krusty oldies hahaha. But yeah, ive seen people bring up that issue before.thanks so much for the advice about the greek life office. Planned on calling them monday.
Being friends with 18-20 year olds is completely different from being a pledge & ordered around by them, when you are a 34 yr old military veteran. Best of luck, whatever you decide....
Old 07-02-2016, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the good wishes. I do realize that it differs from being ordered around by young people.... However, having been in the military you get ordered around by people of all ages. Sometimes you have officers that are much younger or freshies. You also have enlisted members that outrank older individuals. Ive been in both positions in my military career. In charge of older individuals (by as much as 20 years and had younger guys in charge of me (by as much as 11 years).

Having been military, I can shut my mouth and do what I have to do. Im just dying for more brotherhood as you dont find that in regular civilian GDI life. I figure that going greek is my best way to get that back, as wellI as meet a lot of dope people around campus.

I have heard stories of older individuals in Frats that havebeen accepted (generally reffered to as"Blue" since the movie Old School) Do you guys feel I am just kicking up dust or could itbe possible? I mean, before I left for Iraq in 2003 I used to just crash the Frat parties as a GDI. I would imagine thateven not being in a Frat I could always do that again... However, I really feel like that is missing out onthe best parts of being in a Frat
What say youI?
Old 07-02-2016, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Please drop the "frat" terminology. It's pretty dated and location specific. What you purport to be looking for is a fraternity and a brotherhood - not a "frat." There is a difference to some of us.

Beyond that, you'll never know till you try - but it's certain you won't get it if you don't try! So what's the worst that could happen? No bid. Life goes on.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtransfer View Post
Hey,
* * * I am a military veteran. I was US Army for 10 years. Im a war veteran * * * I am currently 33 years old and will be 34 once I start attending MSU.* * * I used to hang out with different Frats and I know that there is no better way to meet people, * * *
1. Thank you for your service to our country on the battlefield. We are all very grateful for your sacrifice and recognized that you essentially gave up your youth to serve our country.

2. You will be 34 years old. In the typical fraternity experience, most of the girls you would likely meet will be 17, 18 and 19 years old. People on this site are too polite to say how this looks.

3. Suggest that you contact and/or get involved with on-campus veteran groups.

4. There are many fraternal organizations that exist off campus which include men of all ages. One of these groups may be a better fit for you and provide a similar experience.

Last edited by PhilTau; 07-02-2016 at 05:32 PM. Reason: correct grammer