GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 297,187
Threads: 114,115
Welcome to our newest member, ajvdhndofp

Old 07-12-2002, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there a single good rush rule?

After responding to josh80 and his hopes to be SDSU IFC rush chr., I continued thinking about rush, and I can't think of a single rush rule worth enforcing.

I think you should meet an incoming freshman, become his/her friend, and ask him/her to join.

If XYZ wants to do this with big parties, so be it. If ABC wants to do this with a small pool party at some alum's home, so be it.

If MNO want to invite some high school seniors to a spring campus party/weekend, go to it.

ALL (and I repeat ALL ALL ALL) rush rules hurt chapters, and reduce results.

The worst rules are any requiring registration or any pre-rush fee, and those setting schedules and deadlines.

Let every chapter choose their members IN THE MANNER THEY CHOOSE, and everyone will be happier and more successful.

(And please don't bore me with responses saying the National Panhel won't allow this. What enforcement power do they have?)
Old 07-12-2002, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

I agree rush rules do hurt certain aspects every rush but, I am glad for those rules otherwise there would be complet chaos when it came to rush. Part of formal rush it trying to make a choice between the different houses. All I can think about is hw bad dirty rushing is at my school. If NPC didn't set rules then it would be really hard not tell a sorority to do something which may affect the entire greek system. Maybe you are right in some aspects it would be great not to have the rules we do. I would like to see a "no frills" rush. That's just my take on it.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Of course NPC isn't the police or anything. NPC only exists due to the member groups in it.

National Panhel's power comes from the fact that all 26 NPC sororities have agreed on these rules. The national sororities themselves think the NPC rush rules are the right way to do things. It's not really that Panhel doesn't allow it; it's really the sororities themselves that don't.

Of course, an individual sorority might disagree, but if they break those rules, the national sorority would yank its charter pretty fast. And the campus might sanction them as well.

You can work to change the rules if you want, but the fact that those in charge of the NPC system support it means they think its working. Unless you are in an NPC group yourself, you don't have the power to change the system. It's generally men I hear criticizing our rush. Guess what, guys. We're not rushing you. We don't care if you like our system any more than you care if we like yours.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to agree with you sororities do choose to be part of NPC so they may obviously agree with the rules. I personally don't think that the rules are horrible most actually make alot of sense to me but, I don't think I've ever heard any of the greek boys around my campus complain about rush. Most of the time they are more than ready to help us with anything we need but, that just may be my school.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ThielGirlie
I know the rush rules hurt me many times. First time was spring freshman year (formal) I had this Rho Chi that was a MAJOR b****, and would not leave me alone. I dropped out of rush before the first party. That ruined my chances to do informal in the fall, and then I had surgery a couple days before rush this past spring. I know if it wasn't for a lot of the rules the NPC sets down, that'd I'd probably already be an initated member of a sorority.

Now I'm a Junior rushing in the fall... makes me look old.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:06 PM

Re: Is there a single good rush rule?

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
The worst rules are any requiring registration or any pre-rush fee, and those setting schedules and deadlines.
You've obviously never had to deal with a bunch of pissed off rushees who are told the chapter's out of food because they had no idea how many people were coming. This is the best rule in my opinion...it means people have to actually THINK before participating in rush. If a bunch of girls/guys showed up who just wanted to eat the rush food or make fun of the whole process, how much would that suck?

I know when I was in school, the rush rules were much more relaxed...there wasn't any of the trying to get infractions called on people or any of that crap. There were people who promised bids, but that's about all I can think of. There are less people going through rush today, the nationals are emphasizing numbers more, and therefore anything you can do to get a leg up on someone is used.

As we've discussed before I honestly think this is just a male/female thing. When girls go out, we call each other 10 times beforehand and make plans - guys just show up. Plus, a lot of what you read on here is geared to large schools where the majority of rushees are first semester freshmen. For a lot of rushees at smaller shcools, rush is just a formality.

Last edited by 33girl; 07-12-2002 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to douthit Send a message via Yahoo to douthit
Some of the posts on this thread have stated that it's mostly the guys who criticize sorority rush, on my campus it's the Panhellenic Exec Board who complain the most. The president of the council herself has stated a few times that the rules suck and she wishes it could be different, but hasn't done anything. This made me think of one question: If all the NPC chapters at a campus agreed on a modification of the rules (not complete change), would any reprimand be carried out from a national level? Or would the only groups that could do anything be the National Headquarters of the individual sororities?
Old 07-12-2002, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Many of the rules rushees do complain about are not mandated by Panhel or the sororities at a national level. And I certainly do agree that there are rules the local Panhels impose that can hurt rushees.

For example, on my campus, you could drop out of formal whenever you want and still do informal. I can't imagine why it should be any other way, and I would agree with ThielGirlie that such a rule hurt her and is stupid.

I agree, the way rush is implemented at some campuses is screwed up, either minorly or majorly. But those rules can be changed if the sororities want to do it - and I think it is in their best interest to do so. The proverbial "cookie size" rule is ludicrous, for example. Let a chapter serve a cookie the size of a coffee table, I don't care! I might be swayed to join chapter X if they dirty rush, but not 'cause of the size of their snacks.

My original response was mostly to the comment, "don't say you can't do things different because of Panhel." And I am sick of hearing men criticize our rush. On our campus, they went so far as to tell women not to rush because sororities are dumb and have all these rules, but, hey, you can hang out with us and wear our letters, and be almost like a real brother! If a rushee, like ThielGirlie, has a problem with the way we conduct rush, esp. having tried to go through it herself, I have much more respect for her criticisms.

Last edited by FuzzieAlum; 07-12-2002 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Pi Kapp 142 Send a message via Yahoo to Pi Kapp 142
I think that there is only one rule that could be of use at my school. That is that every greek organization must take part in some form of recruitment on campus at least once a year. You would be surprised on how many orgs my school that that never do anything out in public where they could sell it to that many more people. WE have a medium sized greek system, but it could be way larger if peple would just recruit. It gives smaller orgs a help out, becuase the bigger ones get more people interested in the whole idea of going greek and it also shows how many options are out there for my school.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Case proven

The first 8 - 10 responses have proven my point.

Someone thinks there should be rules, so a chapter doesn't run out of food for rushees. If the only way XYZ can get people to visit their rush function is to offer lots of free food, that's their choice. If they run out of food, tell the PNM to tour the house, meet some members, and Dominos is bringing more pizza in 30 minutes.

Someone thinks some chapter should be required to participate in something. In truth, if they don't participate and don't seek new members, how long will they last? Who are we to "force" them to exist? We might be better off with some other GLO organizing on our campus.

Since my point has been proven, I'm going on vacation for a week. Maybe I'll see you in Minneapolis or Detroit.
Old 07-13-2002, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TxGirl
NPC Rules

The NPC Manual of Information is over 150 pages long. Of these 150 pages the only rules that NPC groups must follow are the UNANIMOUS AGREEMENTS. There are 11 pages of these agreements. The entire rest of the book has suggestions on how to run panhellenic or details on the unanimous agreements. Most of the agreements do not pertain to recruitment in the ways you think. The big ones I can think of are (I'm giving the abbreviated version so to speak so don't freak on me if I forget a little detail):

Men are not to be involved in recruitment - makes sense to me - the women should join because of the members of the chapter not because of the guys they know.

Alcohol is not allowed at recruitment function. As probably 90% of women going through recruitment are minors this one makes sense as well. And of course we all know you don't have to drink to have a good time and to make people want to get to know you.

Every group has the right to take members (this is the just of the agreement). In other words other groups on panhellenic council can't get together and decide to penalize another group by not letting them take members.

Ethical conduct will be maintained by all greek women not only during recruitment but at all times. Groups should not talk about each other. You don't now what goes on in my group and I don't know what goes on in yours.

Preferencial Bidding System must be used.

All the other panhellenic rules are made by the college panhellenic. Food, no food, balloons, no balloons, the number of alumnae that can be on the "recruitment floor" are all rules made by the college panhellenic. They can be as lax or complex as the group wants. Usually rules are added or changed because of something that occured during the last recruitment. Most are in an effort to make recruitment better for everyone involved, but on occassion nit-picky things are put in them.

I think is silly to think that having a schedule or making women pay a minimal fee to participate in recruitment is bad. Schools that have 1000+ women who want to pledge a sorority couldn't do it with out the scheduling. Most of the fees are minimual and designed to make sure that the women are interested and to help fund the process.

One of the schools that I advise has no minimum fee and lets women sign up until the day recuitment starts. They have 300 women sign up and 150 show up. The school puts out money, the chapters put out money and half the women show up. On this campus the allow women to miss as many days and/or parties as they wish up until preference night. No one ever knows who is going to show up when or if. The panhellenic women then have to call everyone who showed up for even one event to find out if they are in or out. This is CRAZY! Charge $5 and people will think about it before they sign up. If you don't want to do it - fine, I understand - but don't waste everyones time and resources.

I've worked with a lot of chapters - some were there are only 80 women going through, others were there are 1200. In my experience the best recruitment rule for any size panhellenic recruitment is to use release figures. This is one of the "suggested" things in the NPC manual This is the best rule and I wish it would become a unanimous agreement. It evens the playing field for all the panhellenic groups and is kinder to the potenial new members as it lets them know their options in the earlier rounds.

Sorry for the long post. It's also late so I am not responsible for any typos, bad spelling or bad grammar.
Old 07-13-2002, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

You're EXACTLY right

There should be very few restrictions on recruitment for the reasons above. Also, this would work for the guys but not at all for the girls.

My only addition would be to not allow alcohol in rush at all. If a chapter wants to showcase their partying skills, and recruit based on parties, that's fine but it gives them an unfair advantage. If XYZ fraternity wants to have a huge keg party, then even a better fraternity can't have a non-alcoholic event and get the same results. Simply put, alcohol clouds judgment.

This seemed to be a reason for lots of rules in rush, to even the playing field. However, when it comes to lots of different rules with rush, they are superfluous.
Old 07-13-2002, 02:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Pi Kapp 142 Send a message via Yahoo to Pi Kapp 142
My response to allowing or disallowing alcohol at rush events is that do you want a man or women or be a part of your org because you drink hard or not? I do no think that alcohol should be disallowed. If a chapter wants to use alcohol to entice people to join let them. My chapter will get the men who can see through the obvious and find the quality chapter.
Old 07-13-2002, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

At the University of Central Oklahoma when a man decides to go through recruitment or has decided on a fraternity already he takes a stamp card and visits EACH house.

We're supposed to give him his stamp if he asks for it. We've sent guys who had already decided to other houses and they've shut them up in a room and yelled at them, etc...

Some houses even take a group of potentials and drive them to all the other houses together and then back to their own rush party.

Those methods are actually against the rules.

It's all very competitive. I'd say there should be one rule that is DEFINITELY followed and then whatever other rules the IFC body decides on....

FOLLOW ANY RULES THAT YOU AGREED TO BEFORE RUSH

(How hard is that?)
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-13-2002, 09:54 AM

The #1 rush rule at my school is to exhibit goodwill toward all GLO's on campus. No badmouthing other chapters, etc. I'd say that's a good rule...