GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 297,143
Threads: 114,113
Welcome to our newest member, Elshghfre

Old 07-13-2002, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lil_ChiO_Lady
I would also like to say Good Luck to you and your daughters in the fall and I am sure wherever they end up.They will be a huge asset to any one of those organizations...I think it is soo exciting to not only see the kids get excited about rush,but the parenst as well...I am gonna be like that when my kids go to college.
Do you think they will have the same interest in the same sorority? From your perspective, or are their personalities just totally different?

I am getting so excited too about rush.I have been a member for a couple months and I am curious to know what goes on during rush and the GC'rs who post on here.
Psi Zeta Chapter
Old 07-13-2002, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Lil_ChiO_Lady,

I have no clue whether they'll pledge different groups! I hear they've been put in different rush groups so they probably wouldn't be able to confer or send signals while choosing returns.

Also, the sororities at Valdosta seem to be very diverse--they don't have set-in-stone "personalities" like the sororities at the big universities I went to. For instance, back then at Auburn there were 2 sororities that were the primary "beauties" sororities, 2 more that the big girl on campus/student body president types joined, another that most of the old Birmingham families wanted their girls in, another that the athletes joined, etc.

They're attracted to something in each group. One group has a couple of girls from here, one has some great Greekchatters, one is the strong scholarship group, one has Girl Scouts (the twins got their Gold Awards) as a philanthropy, their cousin is an alum of another one, and lots of local girls join chapters of the last one all over the Southeast! So I can tell they're going into this totally neutral!
Old 07-13-2002, 02:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to theta sig agd
Wow! Carnation your enthusiasm is contagious! I have sent the Rec's in for your girls and everyone at Valdosta is already excited from what I am hearing!

This rush is going to be a big one at Valdosta, there are already over 100 girls signed up and we still have over a month to go before rush!!!

Good luck to your girls!!!
Old 07-14-2002, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up ditto...to all

it sounds like the carnation twins have everything squared up and now just need to wait until it's time. how exciting is that?
such an adventure awaits...
all the best...
Old 07-14-2002, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Carnation. . .

Good luck to your girls in rush!!! Henderson State (my alma mater) and Valdosta State play each other in football every year. (Valdosta has been MUCH better than us lately )

Please keep us posted on their rush experience! Henderson State's wasn't very cutthroat or competitive, so I love hearing other's stories.

Too bad AST isn't there!!! They will be great in any org, though.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I am so baffled by this "rush dorm" thing. How exactly does it work? I am assuming that people involved with recruitment come down earlier than the rest of the student body, because I can't see how it would all work otherwise. Who is assigned to the rush dorm during the year? What happens if a sorority member is assigned to live in a rush dorm during the year? Is she just in housing limbo during rush? Or, more likely it's logistically not possible to have Greeks assigned to that dorm (Is fraternity rush at the same time?) Is this a controversial policy? Sorry for the nosy-ness, but I'm intrigued by this
Old 07-15-2002, 03:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to theta sig agd
stargirl725,

When I went to VSU the dorm thing worked out great. First, rush is held the week before classes start. If you are assigned to live in that dorm after rush then you can move into your room and live there during rush. If not then you are there just for rush and you move out after rush.

It is usually a very smooth process. Mens rush is the week after usually, or at least when I went there. But they dont have any dorm requirements during rush.

Hope this helps!!
Old 07-15-2002, 03:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
Carnation--

Good Luck to your daughters in Rush and in college! From you've told here on GC, they would be great in any org!!!!

Please give us details on your daughters' rush experience!!!
Old 07-21-2002, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, I don't think the girls will really be able to access a computer during rush since they won't be taking their own plus Panhellenic is keeping them very busy. Shall I post for them like justamom did? And do you want 1 thread or a thread for each?

Also, do you think we should disguise the GLOs' real names?

mmcat--"carnation twins"! LOL!!!
Old 07-21-2002, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up absolutely

give us the story of your girls...
keep the specific chapters generic until the end so we can celebrate with you.
we're looking forward to it.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lisa Fishman
Wow, the excitement at your house is growing by the day! It is cetainly an exciting time for all of you. I remember tose days well, starting school, rush (oh, oops recuitment) etc....... those were the days. I just wished it stayed like that. Keep us posted with rush updates. Do you think both will go to the same GLO? Hope they enjoy it. Relax and have fun. Lisa
Old 07-21-2002, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
I can't wait to hear what happens! Personally, I have a hard time keeping track when people don't say the sorority names...I forget which ones they liked the day before, etc. I don't think it would be wrong to include the actual sororities. Nobody should be offended.

How big are the sororities at Valdosta? Do your daughters have any friends rushing with them or anything?
Old 07-21-2002, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Smile

I think the sororities at Valdosta are between maybe 60-80 girls? You Valdosta women correct me if I'm wrong!

None of their hometown friends have signed up yet, although a couple of girls they made friends with during Orientation said they would be registering for rush. I hope so! The more, the merrier!

How's this? I could call the sororities something like Pearl, Diamond, Ruby, Emerald, Sapphire, and Opal....I can't think of anything else! I'm just nervous about calling them by name because that affected one GCer badly last year when actives from her campus read her thread and figured out who she was. And if she said anything bad about any group, I missed it.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey, Carnation!

Campus total at VSU right now is at 70 girls. It looks like we're going to have a larger rush than in previous years, so you never know if Panhel will increase total.

I don't think that you should name the groups until afterward. I know that I, as well as a ZTA and an Alpha Gam, post here. Even though I know your daughters' names, I'd rather not know what they think until afterwards! But do whatever makes ya'll most comfortable.

-VSUPhiMu
Old 07-22-2002, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Carnation, I like your idea of using the names of gems instead of the actual names of sororities. I think there are six sororities and you have six gems so you are set. I'm wishing your twins the best. I wonder if they will wind up in the same sorority.