GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 299,912
Threads: 114,203
Posts: 2,151,426
Welcome to our newest member, sdfghbj
» Online Users: 338
6 members and 332 guests
3lilac, sdfghbj, shadokat, uyogcmjaba, Xidelt
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 09-09-2015, 09:51 PM
AOE-7 AOE-7 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
So it is lame in your opinion, and a waste of time and resources in your opinion, but since it isn't your organization, then it's not your monkey; not your circus. Snarking on other Greek organizations' rules, traditions and regulations is bad form and makes for an ugly sandbox at playtime.
Okay, Sunshine, help understand why and how this is a good policy? Really. I want to know. For REALZ. How on EARTH does it make SENSE to force OMGQTFBBQ we absolutely gotta have a rec soooo, lets write some sh*t on a piece of paper about this girl in order to meet the 'national requirement' and call it a day.

Rainbow Unicorn sandbox or not, I am trying my damndest to understand how this is not, in a roundabout way, a 'forgery' or 'fake' or whatever else you want to call it.... because I don't know how on earth you can write a recommendation for somebody you don't frikkin' know. Reading their resume does not tell you a dang thing about their character or presentation, their people skills and if in fact they are a good fit for the chapter. Somebody could be spotless on paper and a piece of doo doo in person, and that poor frantic alumna writes a rec for her because she was "forced to" due to a bureaucratic policy.

Oh wait... I get it.... is rec writing part of ritual? Is that the "tradition" part of it that you speak of?

Last edited by AOE-7; 09-09-2015 at 09:56 PM.
  #62  
Old 09-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Katmandu Katmandu is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 929
Well, Sunshine, I could answer you, but won't, because you are for REALZ, obnoxious.
  #63  
Old 09-09-2015, 10:24 PM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 14,985
Who reads those pieces of paper? Someone at IO.
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
  #64  
Old 09-09-2015, 10:32 PM
Hartofsec Hartofsec is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964Alum View Post
Member selection policies can very greatly from GLO to GLO. And yes, they can seem unfair on the face of them. I'm not at liberty to disclose the information gathered and recorded on our rec forms, but they have to do with the personal qualities of the PNM. Matters of substance. And not the opinion of one sole alumna.
I think this is the original intent of a “recommendation.” The act of recommending anyone for anything requires personal knowledge of the candidate.

If I know a PNM well enough to write a rec, I know her well enough to call her and let her know I am doing so. I haven’t had a reason to send in recs for PNMs without their knowledge – I wouldn’t know every fact, activity, and honor to include without their input anyway (I don’t know how anyone would).

Perhaps this just reflects my experience with recruitment on my campus and how my local alum group is organized where recs are concerned – but the thought of an alum squirreled away somewhere furiously writing recs for girls she doesn’t know -- so that they may be offered bids -- is just a foreign concept to me. This seems to negate the point and meaning of having a recommendation that includes matters of substance, and seems to violate the spirit, if not the letter, of a national rec requirement.

So – question for those on a campus where recs are an anomaly but whose org requires them -- recs are written en masse for those being offered a bid instead of prior to recruitment? It’s difficult to imagine, otherwise, that entire new member classes across a campus just happen to all have mystery recs year after year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964Alum View Post
I'm not at liberty to disclose the information gathered and recorded on our rec forms
An aside – in the younger days of the internet, logging into one’s member account of the national org site was usually required to view/obtain rec forms. Now, just about chapter’s form is available and viewable to anyone on the internet. I’m not sure why some alum groups and chapters upload these to the internet – or why the various national orgs don’t contact them and ask that these be removed from public view.

Last edited by Hartofsec; 09-09-2015 at 10:37 PM.
  #65  
Old 09-09-2015, 10:54 PM
amIblue? amIblue? is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Shackled to my desk
Posts: 2,870
KC 96...sorry your thread has gone so far off the rails. We do want to hear how things turn out for you, so maybe you might want to start a new thread to let us know about it. Good luck!
__________________
Actually, amIblue? is a troublemaker. Go pick on her. --AZTheta
  #66  
Old 09-09-2015, 11:01 PM
jolene jolene is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 578
Holy cats. So thankful I joined an org that didn't require a rec since I was clueless and merely wanted to find a sisterhood and get plugged into campus. And no, at my campus I wouldn't have been an outlier. If GSU's Greek system required recs (they were the exception and not the rule), our Panhellenic would have died out.
__________________
AΞΔ--Delta Xi

Last edited by jolene; 09-09-2015 at 11:07 PM.
  #67  
Old 09-09-2015, 11:10 PM
Sororitysock Sororitysock is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Glorious and free
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOE-7 View Post
Okay, Sunshine, help understand why and how this is a good policy? Really. I want to know. For REALZ. How on EARTH does it make SENSE to force OMGQTFBBQ we absolutely gotta have a rec soooo, lets write some sh*t on a piece of paper about this girl in order to meet the 'national requirement' and call it a day.

Rainbow Unicorn sandbox or not, I am trying my damndest to understand how this is not, in a roundabout way, a 'forgery' or 'fake' or whatever else you want to call it.... because I don't know how on earth you can write a recommendation for somebody you don't frikkin' know. Reading their resume does not tell you a dang thing about their character or presentation, their people skills and if in fact they are a good fit for the chapter. Somebody could be spotless on paper and a piece of doo doo in person, and that poor frantic alumna writes a rec for her because she was "forced to" due to a bureaucratic policy.

Oh wait... I get it.... is rec writing part of ritual? Is that the "tradition" part of it that you speak of?
Because policies and procedures like this have helped us build and sustain powerfully strong national and international organizations, many of them going on 150 years. Perhaps when your little young engineering sorority has this kind of strength and experience under its belt, you can share the policies that have gotten you there too.

See? It's not so difficult to be rude and dismissive about a very different organization that you don't know or understand now, is it?
  #68  
Old 09-09-2015, 11:12 PM
BlueCarnation BlueCarnation is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOE-7 View Post
Okay, Sunshine, help understand why and how this is a good policy? Really. I want to know. For REALZ. How on EARTH does it make SENSE to force OMGQTFBBQ we absolutely gotta have a rec soooo, lets write some sh*t on a piece of paper about this girl in order to meet the 'national requirement' and call it a day.

Rainbow Unicorn sandbox or not, I am trying my damndest to understand how this is not, in a roundabout way, a 'forgery' or 'fake' or whatever else you want to call it.... because I don't know how on earth you can write a recommendation for somebody you don't frikkin' know. Reading their resume does not tell you a dang thing about their character or presentation, their people skills and if in fact they are a good fit for the chapter. Somebody could be spotless on paper and a piece of doo doo in person, and that poor frantic alumna writes a rec for her because she was "forced to" due to a bureaucratic policy.

Oh wait... I get it.... is rec writing part of ritual? Is that the "tradition" part of it that you speak of?
I'm not sure what my national organization's policy is, but maybe we can agree that we don't necessarily agree with everything our organizations do? Either way, I think we all take our memberships seriously, and while we may not have the same practices as you do, we won't mock your traditions and rituals, so please don't mock us.

Anyway, yes, KC 96, PLEASE COME BACK!!!! We want to know how things went!
  #69  
Old 09-09-2015, 11:15 PM
SoCalGirl SoCalGirl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: San Diego, California :)
Posts: 3,953
tl;dr

How many times have you heard "trust your sisters" during rush?

Sometimes that's a collegiate sister trusting another bump line within the chapter during MS. Sometimes that's an alum trusting a bump line when cranking out recs.
  #70  
Old 09-10-2015, 12:28 AM
AOE-7 AOE-7 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post
Because policies and procedures like this have helped us build and sustain powerfully strong national and international organizations, many of them going on 150 years. Perhaps when your little young engineering sorority has this kind of strength and experience under its belt, you can share the policies that have gotten you there too.

See? It's not so difficult to be rude and dismissive about a very different organization that you don't know or understand now, is it?
My username has nothing to do with a sorority. I'm not an engineer. You are wrong, sock.
  #71  
Old 09-10-2015, 12:58 AM
AOE-7 AOE-7 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCarnation View Post
I'm not sure what my national organization's policy is, but maybe we can agree that we don't necessarily agree with everything our organizations do? Either way, I think we all take our memberships seriously, and while we may not have the same practices as you do, we won't mock your traditions and rituals, so please don't mock us.
Yes, I was a sassy smart ass with my first post, but the responses I received were....mmmmm.... just as smart ass (if not more), and didn't bother to answer any of the questions I posed. I didn't think the questions I asked were terribly hard:

1)Does someone actually take the time to ready the recs that people fratically scramble to obtain? IF NOT, then yes, it's a waste of that person's time, so I hope for all of y'alls sake that somebody is reading each and every damn one of them!

2)If they are actually being read...what's the outcome after reading them? Can someone's bid be denied as a result of that little piece of paper? If these recs are required before being offered a bid.... it would seem to me that some higher power should need to read them BEFORE offering the bid, correct? Which means, that rec would need to be secured (and read by the 'higher power') BEFORE preference.... but maybe I'm overthinking the logistics of this. (Logically speaking, if you have a requirement to have this item, you should have to "do" something with it other than simply file it away to say "we met the requirement by having random words scribbled on a piece of paper.")

3) I'm still having a terribly difficult time understanding how this is not straight up fakery/forgery. If you do not know the person, how do you write a rec? Someone else said "trust your sisters." Okay.... why should a (FAKE RECOMMENDATION!) piece of paper need to be written by some alumna to "prove" that trust on behalf of the collegiate chapter in order to allow them to extend a bid? Why can the collegiate women not vouch for themselves based on what they have learned about that woman over the course of recruitment and their interactions with her leading up to? Why the bureaucratic nonsense?

Instead of getting defensive about the fact that your organization does have this policy, why not think about these questions at face value. What is the REAL purpose? I still don't understand why fake references are a policy other than "just because that's the way it's always been" and none of you have been able to (or are willing to share) one legit reason why.
  #72  
Old 09-10-2015, 02:48 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
An aside Ė in the younger days of the internet, logging into oneís member account of the national org site was usually required to view/obtain rec forms. Now, just about chapterís form is available and viewable to anyone on the internet. Iím not sure why some alum groups and chapters upload these to the internet Ė or why the various national orgs donít contact them and ask that these be removed from public view.
Pre-internet, ours were printed in our national magazine (which obviously isn't secret). What did other groups do? Did you have to request the forms from HQ or an alumnae chapter?

As far as trust your sisters, that DEFINITELY depends on the sister sometimes. Just because I dig you to the moon and back, doesn't mean you don't have ATROCIOUS judgment.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
  #73  
Old 09-10-2015, 07:25 AM
AZTheta's Avatar
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 17į 39' 3.312'' S 149į 25' 33.7512'' W
Posts: 4,923
I recall seeing the forms in our magazine pre-internet; they may still be available in that format (haven't read the magazine for quite a while, too many other things going on). Many pre-internet alumnae (euphemism for those of a Certain Age) will submit printed/handwritten recs so the forms are readily available to them via the magazine.

No advantage or need to keep them "removed from public view". No harm in transparency - why shouldn't the PNM know what questions the form contains? We ask for photos, resume, etc. and we likely know the PNM or have some acquaintance with her, in many cases. She may not be privy to the responses we provide, however.

I laughed at the image of an alum (or alums) furiously churning out recs to fulfill some requirement. Reminded me of the "twelve monkeys sitting in front of twelve typewriters" stuff.

AOE-7, have you discussed recommendations with your alumnae and advisors? You might get some good answers and insight from them as to the history and practice. I suspect that in your lifetime the rec requirement will disappear. Thanks to the Internet and the Millenials' need to document EVERYTHING on the Internet, paired with search engines, we can find out anything and everything about people with a few clicks.

writing this at 3 am because the dog woke me up barking at some wild animal outside (probably a bobcat), and there are something like 16 pages of new posts, mainly spam. This thread was on page 11. I can see how legitimate posts get swept up and dumped in the massive spam cleanup that the super mods and mods have to do constantly. This is unreal.
  #74  
Old 09-10-2015, 10:46 AM
BlueCarnation BlueCarnation is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOE-7 View Post
Yes, I was a sassy smart ass with my first post, but the responses I received were....mmmmm.... just as smart ass (if not more), and didn't bother to answer any of the questions I posed. I didn't think the questions I asked were terribly hard:

1)Does someone actually take the time to ready the recs that people fratically scramble to obtain? IF NOT, then yes, it's a waste of that person's time, so I hope for all of y'alls sake that somebody is reading each and every damn one of them!

2)If they are actually being read...what's the outcome after reading them? Can someone's bid be denied as a result of that little piece of paper? If these recs are required before being offered a bid.... it would seem to me that some higher power should need to read them BEFORE offering the bid, correct? Which means, that rec would need to be secured (and read by the 'higher power') BEFORE preference.... but maybe I'm overthinking the logistics of this. (Logically speaking, if you have a requirement to have this item, you should have to "do" something with it other than simply file it away to say "we met the requirement by having random words scribbled on a piece of paper.")

3) I'm still having a terribly difficult time understanding how this is not straight up fakery/forgery. If you do not know the person, how do you write a rec? Someone else said "trust your sisters." Okay.... why should a (FAKE RECOMMENDATION!) piece of paper need to be written by some alumna to "prove" that trust on behalf of the collegiate chapter in order to allow them to extend a bid? Why can the collegiate women not vouch for themselves based on what they have learned about that woman over the course of recruitment and their interactions with her leading up to? Why the bureaucratic nonsense?

Instead of getting defensive about the fact that your organization does have this policy, why not think about these questions at face value. What is the REAL purpose? I still don't understand why fake references are a policy other than "just because that's the way it's always been" and none of you have been able to (or are willing to share) one legit reason why.
I'm not saying that I disagree with you at all. I think you have a lot of good points. But as AZTheta suggests, why not bring it up with your national organization, rather than getting snippy with a bunch of people you don't know on the internet who may or may not be a part of your organization? Why should we bother trying to have an intelligent, thoughtful conversation with you if you start it off by being a smartass? Your points may be valid, but you lost a lot of people with your attitude. You're not going to change any policies here. If you're really that concerned, contact people who can do something about it, but I suggest leaving the attitude out of it.
  #75  
Old 09-10-2015, 01:52 PM
DubaiSis DubaiSis is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Back in the Heartland
Posts: 5,383
How I would LIKE recs to work (rare and special) and how they work are both not the same thing and completely irrelevant. First, I can complain til the cows come home about how ZTA or Theta or anyone else does it. And then I'll get out of breath, so good for me. My opinion counts for neither jack nor squat. Second, the fact that the system sucks IMO doesn't mean that I wouldn't play the game if I were going through now. And that was the point of this whole meltdown in the first place. Possibly recs aren't really that important at her school. GET THEM ANYWAY. Cross every T. Dot every I. Maximize every opportunity you have for success.

The single only piece in all of this I found valuable is the person who said if they got a rec from a sophomore at her school it would actually be seen as weird. THAT is something I'd like to know more about. And I'd love to know if this is the thinking at the school in question.
__________________
"Traveling - It leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller. ~ Ibn Battuta
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Batman-themed story of Harriet's recruitment Cheerio Recruitment Stories 7 01-12-2016 09:14 PM
This is THE SORORITY! (A semi-live The Voice themed recruitment story) MissRiss94 Recruitment Stories 4 09-22-2014 04:08 PM
Recruitment Story!! Lilly Print Themed newmember1234 Recruitment Stories 20 08-03-2013 12:00 AM
Themed Recruitment hugs_n_ladybugs Recruitment 6 08-20-2004 07:31 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.