GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,020
Threads: 114,206
Welcome to our newest member, dfgshxbxn

Old 06-29-2001, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wine&Blue:
Isn't frater latin for brother? I think it's pronounced frah-TAIR. I don't think that's derogatory at all. However, when I hear someone say "frat" I just think it sounds uninformed. It's interesting that this is unique to male organizations. I've never heard a sorority called a "sor". Boy that would be derogatory!!!

[This message has been edited by Wine&Blue (edited June 28, 2001).]
I already posted on the Latin origin of the word on the first page.

Old 06-29-2001, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

KABillymac.Little do you really know! I actually howl at the moon, as Mad Dog does that to you! But at least I get mellow down!
Yep this old 233 mgh box just keeps me on line!
But God I love the smell of the PC burning in the afternoon before I nod off in my nap mode!
8 hrs of dealing with customers is really tuff as you try to be nice to MORONS.
I drink to forhet the sweat of the day so I can get on with the CHATTERS!
I love the saying "the customer is never right!" Walt Coffey, LongBranch Saloon! KC! Ex car salesman!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 06-29-2001, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianMUDU:
There is also something in there about how you are a "chapter" and not a "house", but I don't think people will get over using house any time soon.... unless of course they don't have houses on campus.

I always use the term chapter, never house. The only people who I know that use the term "house" are either 1. Not in college and know nothing about Greek life, 2. Not in NYC, usually not even in a major city.
On my campus, there are no houses, only dorms. I am in New York City. At my University, there are even a few Fraternities and Sororities that only have 1 chapter, so I don't even refer to them as a chapter. I refer to them by their Greek Letter name.
Old 06-29-2001, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by UMgirl:
At UM we use both words and probably frat more, however more people say what house is XYZ in. And the GDI's actually use the word fraternity more often.
I could see that UMgirl. With membership comes privileges. Members of a Fraternity have worked and can call themselves "frat". GDI's have not and are not allowed that privilege. Same thing with how members of my organization feel about calling a member an "AKA". Some members take offense to it. We are the ones who worked for the letters and can call ourselves that. Others should refer to us as members of Alpha Kappa Alpha. Either way, it doesn't offend me and it's never been an issue with me. I have bigger things to be offended by. Now, if a GDI was to call you HIS frat, then there would be a problem.
Old 06-29-2001, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
I've never heard a sorority called a "sor". Boy that would be derogatory!!!

[This message has been edited by Wine&Blue (edited June 28, 2001).]
Actually Wine&Blue, Sororities in the NPHC refer to their Sorority sisters as "Sorors". So this topic in not limited to males.
Old 06-30-2001, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to legacypbs Send a message via Yahoo to legacypbs
Quote:
Originally posted by showstopper_1908:
Actually Wine&Blue, Sororities in the NPHC refer to their Sorority sisters as "Sorors". So this topic in not limited to males.
Let them know about how the NPHC does it pretty girl.
Old 07-02-2001, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, like the word "frater" being Latin for brother, the word "soror" is the Latin word for sister.

Old 07-02-2001, 10:03 AM
Wine&Blue

Quote:
I didn't say anything about "soror" as that is the latin for "sister." No more or less derogatory than "frater." What I said was, I've never heard women refer to their organizations as "sors." Different word.
Old 07-02-2001, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree. I can't even imagine calling a sorority a "sor."
Old 07-02-2001, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Tom, I dont know if I should be angry or what with you, cause I didnt understand the majority of your post. I really think you should have someone type for you.... Cause Friends dont let friends Drink and type....
Old 07-02-2001, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
I didn't say anything about "soror" as that is the latin for "sister." No more or less derogatory than "frater." What I said was, I've never heard women refer to their organizations as "sors." Different word.
I think the post above established what the word Soror means. I use it so I know what it means, thank you. I was letting you know that this topic is not just concerning men.
I can't see anyone calling a Sorority a "Sor" either, I guess that's because it's a word that isn't popular and something that you just made up
However, if is was a popular word such as "Frat" then I guess I could see that.
Old 07-02-2001, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
I think the post above established what the word Soror means. I use it so I know what it means, thank you. I was letting you know that this topic is not just concerning men.
I can't see anyone calling a Sorority a "Sor" either, I guess that's because it's a word that isn't popular and something that you just made up
Old 07-02-2001, 10:32 PM
UMgirl

I have heard and used both the words soro and soror. So its not just a NPHC thing . Truthfully i think what words you use depends on your campus and sometimes your house. And really words like frat and soro, etc. are just slang words and easier to say sometimes. Like someone said, im lazy too. and saying im going to a frat party is just more easier and more common then saying im going to a fraternity party. I mean if you're going to a party, do you say Im going to FIJI, or Im going to Phi Gamma Delta.
Old 07-02-2001, 10:45 PM
Wine&Blue

Quote:
That was my point. I never said that this was a topic reserved for men. All I said was that I had never heard a sorority called a "sor," and that I found it interesting that the word fraternity got shortened to "frat." I'm still not real sure why that made you so defensive.
Old 07-05-2001, 06:50 PM

Funny how i can never make sense out of the majority of Tom Earp's posts.

------------------
"To supress our feelings only makes them stronger"--from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon