GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,039
Threads: 114,205
Welcome to our newest member, bradhadd

Old 08-10-2015, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope "Tonya" is strong enough to realize that three invitations is no indication of her character. I know it's hard to get back just a few when others around you are getting back full schedules, so my heart goes out to her.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 2 - Day 1

As mentioned earlier, Tanya received three houses back for Philanthropy Round.
Going in to it, she knew was going to have less houses than the 12 max because her Pi Chi texted her to let her know that her parties wouldn't start until 10:30am.

Once she received her list, she was sad and confused of course.
Out of the three, only one had been in her top list; yes, she was interested in going back to all the houses but the number that she received was what hurt the most.

Tanya would be visiting Gen Michael, Holly, and LT Trevor.

I did my best to console Tanya while reminding her that it only takes one. Anyone who ends up with a bid only gets one house, one sisterhood, one set of letters. While she knew all this, she expressed that the hardest part was having all the girls in her Pi Chi group being so excited for their full schedules (or, almost full) while she had to explain that she only had three.
Trying to convince a PNM not to listen to all of that is not easy, but I'm hoping I had somewhat of a positive impact.

Gen Michael was up first. Going in to this round, this had been her favorite house. She did her best to put on her happy face despite having received her list probably 20min beforehand. She had one sister "rush" her and Tanya felt that she didn't have much interest. This is because the sister asked her the same question and showed her the same picture (related to the question) twice. I think this may have made her feel worse about the whole situation

The second house immediately after was Holly. Tanya enjoyed this house and became very emotional. When first describing the party to me, she wasn't sure if it was because she was still upset from her small invite list or because of the philanthropy; after her story, I'm pretty sure it was the latter. The philanthropy "hit home" as Tanya put it because it is one that she has personal experience with related to her family. After hearing one of the Holly's share her own experience, Tanya began to cry. In fact, she used the word "bawling." Tanya said she really felt like she bonded with her rusher who comforted her & took her to the bathroom so she could freshen up. I definitely think she left this house feeling better about it than she did in Round 1.

A few hours passed and Tanya was on to LT Trevor. Their philanthropy is one that Tanya feels she could really support and be interested in. She had a lot of fun with the girls whom she talked with, especially the first LT Trevor to rush her. The second was a little more awkward for lack of a better term, but she enjoyed all of them and had fun.

While Round 2 goes through today, Tanya was able to proceed with ranking due to completing her house visits on the first day.
With only three houses, she did not have to list anyone "at the bottom." She kept them in the order she visited, as her three #1's.
Gen Michael
Holly
LT Trevor

Tomorrow morning we'll find out if Tanya was invited back to all or some of these houses for Skit Day.

Keep your fingers crossed that Tanya doesn't receive a call tonight or tomorrow morning!!!

Last edited by alphagam808; 08-11-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 08-12-2015, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I've known girls to whom that happened and they kept all 3 houses through prefs; they were never cut after that. It worked out for them because they ended up getting their first choice of the 3!
EVERYONE gets cut to two or three by Pref Night. You only get to go to 2 or 3 Pref parties. Sometimes the Sorting Hat takes a long time to figure out where you go, and sometimes it knows as soon as it is placed on your head.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Released

Tanya was released from recruitment this morning.

I wish I could give her a hug; she was so excited going in to recruitment with no pre-conceived notions about each house... she just wanted to find a home! I'm proud of her for keeping her head up throughout the process and trying her best to get to know the women in each house she visited.

Being a sophomore transfer is not easy at a school with a recruitment like this one. She has talked to a few other upperclassmen that were also released (and heard the number was high) making her feel better on the one hand that she wasn't the only one but also making her wish upperclassmen were "looked at more," for lack of a better phrase.

I'm urging her to register for COB/COR in the event that one or more of the houses takes part. I don't want this to be the end of the road for her but I'm confident that IF it is, she will still enjoy her time here. How can you not at a big school???

Thank you for rooting for Tanya & being sources with words of encouragement, as well as advice for myself!
Old 08-12-2015, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

It's really a shame that the upperclassmen quotas aren't a little more inclusive. I understand from a fiscal perspective, they want 4 good years out of a member, but if someone is otherwise the full package, why wouldn't you appreciate the time you have with them?

Ah well. I'm sorry for Tanya, and I hope she'll find a group that serves as her family of creation for college and beyond!

Old 08-12-2015, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Aw, poor thing. I hate that for her. I hope she'll remain open to COB.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope she goes through COB. Please update if she does.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

In 11 years as an advisor at UCLA (plus many more in ATL), I don't know of a single woman who joined (my chapter) as a upperclassman then deactivated. But boy, do I know many who joined as a freshman, then quit in 1-2 years. I wish more chapters would realize that upperclass PNMs definitely want to be involved in Greek life and contribute to a sorority. They should take as many as they deem worthy of membership in the UC quota, or put a UC quota in place if their Panhellenic doesn't have one.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
In 11 years as an advisor at UCLA (plus many more in ATL), I don't know of a single woman who joined (my chapter) as a upperclassman then deactivated. But boy, do I know many who joined as a freshman, then quit in 1-2 years. I wish more chapters would realize that upperclass PNMs definitely want to be involved in Greek life and contribute to a sorority. They should take as many as they deem worthy of membership in the UC quota, or put a UC quota in place if their Panhellenic doesn't have one.
Totally agree.

I am sorry for Tanya.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

What ChioLu said times a zillion. I'm so sorry for your PNM, alphagam808, and I will think positive that COR (or whatever it's called) will result in a bid for her.

Damn.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
I think this mindset needs to come from the top down (i.e. international headquarters) and the focus needs to be on retention rather than making quota/total at recruitment.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Auburn does not have an upperclass quota.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto to ChioLu said. I joined as a junior transfer and was mega involved. I knew what I was getting into and had the maturity to deal with petty crap. I hope more chapters realize this. Flaky 18 year olds are not always the best sisters.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
Ditto to ChioLu said. I joined as a junior transfer and was mega involved. I knew what I was getting into and had the maturity to deal with petty crap. I hope more chapters realize this. Flaky 18 year olds are not always the best sisters.
Having been one of these, I know exactly what Jolene means. I was a much better member as an upperclassman, and as much as I love my GLO, I sometimes think I should have waited until I was more mature to go through recruitment.

My best wishes to Tanya for a wonderful college experience, and I'm really sorry she was released (crossing my fingers for her for COB/COR).