GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 296,977
Threads: 114,108
Posts: 2,150,271
Welcome to our newest member, xfqwoyfp
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-30-2015, 10:17 PM
naraht naraht is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Rockville,MD,USA
Posts: 2,936
Rush Events: Things have changed a *lot* in 90 years...

From part of a sorority rush progressive dinner in the 1920s.
(includes racist language)
.....



















We traveled from New York to New Orleans, where we "et" in a darky cabin. Two "pickaninnies" served us with Southern ham, candied yams and corn pone, served on a kitchen table, covered with real old-fashioned red table-cloths, and lighted with kerosene lamps. After singing southern songs and enjoying a representation of a darky "shuffle", we collected our baggage and traveled...
__________________
Because "undergrads, please abandon your national policies and make something up" will end well --KnightShadow

Last edited by naraht; 07-30-2015 at 10:48 PM. Reason: add a trigger warning
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-30-2015, 10:41 PM
Sen's Revenge Sen's Revenge is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 866
I am not usually one to ask for trigger warnings, but I definitely could have used a bit of a heads up about the racist language lol. But it's important not to hide these parts of history so I support it being shared. With sources.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-30-2015, 11:14 PM
naraht naraht is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Rockville,MD,USA
Posts: 2,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
I am not usually one to ask for trigger warnings, but I definitely could have used a bit of a heads up about the racist language lol. But it's important not to hide these parts of history so I support it being shared. With sources.
Added a trigger warning (I think). I thought it was better *not* to include which current NPC sorority. and including the source would definitely indicate which sorority. (Note, the source is *absolutely* ironclad, coming from the sorority's national magazine)
__________________
Because "undergrads, please abandon your national policies and make something up" will end well --KnightShadow
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-30-2015, 11:23 PM
SoCalGirl SoCalGirl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: San Diego, California :)
Posts: 3,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Added a trigger warning (I think). I thought it was better *not* to include which current NPC sorority. and including the source would definitely indicate which sorority. (Note, the source is *absolutely* ironclad, coming from the sorority's national magazine)
We are completely aware that racist people were racist and far more common long ago.

What did you hope to achieve by posting that? I seriously do not understand what you could have been thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-31-2015, 10:19 AM
Sen's Revenge Sen's Revenge is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
We are completely aware that racist people were racist and far more common long ago.

What did you hope to achieve by posting that? I seriously do not understand what you could have been thinking.
Why not though?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-31-2015, 10:50 AM
tcsparky tcsparky is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: near charlotte, nc, usa
Posts: 358
Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
I feel that there was nothing wrong with posting this. The contrast between what was acceptable in a different time period and what is acceptable now is quite interesting. The words used to describe the event tell us about the attitudes and activities of the time period.
__________________
ΑΞΔ - - - Alpha Xi Delta
It's not what you've just become, but what you've always been.
You.... have chosen to act as a snarky asshat- KATMANDU
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-31-2015, 11:20 AM
DeltaBetaBaby DeltaBetaBaby is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ILL-INI
Posts: 7,176
Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Eh, post the source. Let's be honest about the racist history of our orgs.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-31-2015, 11:27 AM
AZTheta's Avatar
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 17° 39' 3.312'' S 149° 25' 33.7512'' W
Posts: 4,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Eh, post the source. Let's be honest about the racist history of our orgs.
Indeed. I'm puzzled as to the motivation for posting this unless it was about naraht's own organization. Otherwise, it comes across as casting shade on an "unnamed organization" for something that was done by people who are likely dead today.

We know that there was discrimination (and still is to this day). So again, what is the point?
__________________

Basically my main piece of advice is: if you are lucky enough to get a bid to ANY chapter, that is your golden ticket and you should take it and run with it.
-robinseggblue
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-31-2015, 11:36 AM
Sen's Revenge Sen's Revenge is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 866
APO has it's own troubled history with racism as well. A look at the Torch & Trefoil archives will show a photo of APO brothers in blackface in the 50s or so, as part of a jungle party theme or some such.

It's part of nearly all of our organization's history and just because it's in the past doesn't mean it doesn't get to be discussed in context.

What's interesting to me is not that it happened, but that such language was actually in the organization's national magazine. We often view racism as an impolite, behind-closed-doors activity, when in reality, racism is a structure. Racism is not cured by the people in power simply moving on. We've got to also dissect where we went wrong along the way.

There's not much spiritual or psychological distance between doing the darky shuffle 90 years ago and chanting "there will never be a nigger SAE" last year.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-31-2015, 11:54 AM
WhiteRose1912's Avatar
WhiteRose1912 WhiteRose1912 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
What's interesting to me is not that it happened, but that such language was actually in the organization's national magazine. We often view racism as an impolite, behind-closed-doors activity, when in reality, racism is a structure. Racism is not cured by the people in power simply moving on. We've got to also dissect where we went wrong along the way.

There's not much spiritual or psychological distance between doing the darky shuffle 90 years ago and chanting "there will never be a nigger SAE" last year.
__________________
Justice Wisdom Loyalty Faith Truth Honor
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-31-2015, 06:17 PM
thetalady's Avatar
thetalady thetalady is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Big D
Posts: 2,590
Let's discuss this being fully informed. I think posting the text without context and source is inappropriate. I am not certain what the text means, since the offensive words are all in quotes. Yes, many, many things have changed since the 1920s.

The Compass of Theta Phi Alpha

See Page 11
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-31-2015, 11:44 PM
DeltaBetaBaby DeltaBetaBaby is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ILL-INI
Posts: 7,176
Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
LOL, there is indeed a gratuitous use of quotes throughout those paragraphs.

That said, it's valuable to put this stuff out there and think about how it informs our organizations still today. Most of our (NPC) orgs have significant education/membership development components, and I'm not aware of a single one that addresses the issue of race in a meaningful way.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-31-2015, 11:50 PM
naraht naraht is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Rockville,MD,USA
Posts: 2,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Let's discuss this being fully informed. I think posting the text without context and source is inappropriate. I am not certain what the text means, since the offensive words are all in quotes. Yes, many, many things have changed since the 1920s.

The Compass of Theta Phi Alpha

See Page 11
I thought that *not* identifying the group was preferable, but now that doesn't matter. My congratulations on your sleuthing ability.
__________________
Because "undergrads, please abandon your national policies and make something up" will end well --KnightShadow
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How has Greek life changed over the years? ADPiEE Greek Life 0 01-13-2013 01:22 AM
Retro Rush Story: My sorority membership changed my life changedmylife Recruitment Stories 30 08-14-2011 08:57 AM
How has your chapter changed through the years? baci Delta Gamma 1 03-12-2008 06:18 PM
Fourteen Things That It Took Me Over 50 Years To Learn—by Dave Barry NinjaPoodle Sigma Gamma Rho 7 01-27-2007 06:35 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.