GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,555
0 members and 1,555 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

What to say to PNM?

If you were having a "coke date" with a PNM what would you say about your NPC group?

I am meeting a friend and her daughter for coffee tomorrow afternoon. The daughter has registered for recruitment at U of I and I offered to write a rec for her. My friend is in another NPC group, though her chapter was at another university. I didn't go to U of I, either, so I'll be talking about Alpha Gamma Delta more generally.

Thanks for your advice!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-27-2015, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

AGD

Well, I guess I would see if she had questions first and answer those. Then I THINK I would talk about philanthropy, your experiences of sisterhood, emphasis on Leadership, etc. This is all assuming she is a typical PNM, where they "love" the philanthropy and are looking for leadership opportunities...

Depending on her school and if you are familiar, what that chapter is like. Things that go beyond what's on the Internet, tent talk, etc.

Loyally,

Kathy
Old 07-27-2015, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I think I'd talk about what it's like to be in my group post-graduation, because that's something she's not going to get a lot about in recruitment.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

I would make sure you give her the Panhellenic talk because heaven knows that in these days, you never ever know what will happen in recruitment.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

In addition to talking about your own org, emphasize that all of the orgs offer a great experience--leadership training, sisterhood, parties, football events, philanthropy and hanging out time.

If you feel comfortable with it, give her some straight talk on recruitment etiquette, the importance of an open mind, the reality of early cuts--i.e., don't take it personally, re-set your expectations and emotions every day, because things change and the "meh" group can become magic on pref night....she may not believe you, but you will have said it, lol.

Is this Illinois? Love some large Big 10/Big 12 Recruitment!
Old 07-27-2015, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post

Is this Illinois? Love some large Big 10/Big 12 Recruitment!
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Yes, it's Illinois. Her mom was a Kappa at Kansas State and I went to Mizzou. (Mom and I are P.E.O. sisters.) I think daughter is open-minded; Mom hasn't been actively involved as an alum.

Now to download the rec form, or whatever it's called these days.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Just my 2 cents worth.... here is what I generally tell PNMs, either in person or by email:

Remember to keep an open mind during rush. Don't listen to talk of "tiers" or reputations. Remember that if you don't get an invitation back to a particular chapter, it does NOT mean that they didn't like you. Chapters are limited in how many invitations they can offer during each round of parties. Each chapter is allowed to invite a different number of girls. It is a complicated system, but I promise you that IT WORKS! Go to each round of recruitment with a smile on your face and give every chapter your best!

If I may make a suggestion... the chapters will all be looking at your Facebook, Tumbler, Instagram and whatever else young people use USE those resources to promote yourself!! Put great pictures of yourself, especially doing things like community service, being active in sports and pictures showing your accomplishments on those sites. Pictures with your family are also good.

I would suggest making any pictures of boyfriends or, as we alumnae say, anything you wouldn't want your grandmother to see, PRIVATE. If there is a picture that you think might be questionable, make it private. Consider Facebook as your electronic resume for now.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I'm gonna chime in a second time...one thing about Illinois is that, if you end up in the Chicago area post-graduation, nobody really cares about your sorority/fraternity affiliation, and in fact, it's almost a little vulgar to talk about it. It's cool that people were in chapters and have common ground, but any sort of tier structure goes straight out the window.

Hell, even as an undergrad, things change...the fraternity/sorority pairings I see these days are very different from when I was there, and I'm not *that* old.

I think the other thing I'd tell a PNM going to Illinois is that it's easy to let the Greek system be your entire life, but the Greek system is pretty homogeneous, and college is a great time to meet people from different backgrounds. Don't waste that and spend all four years isolating yourself with other upper-middle-class kids from the suburbs.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post

I think the other thing I'd tell a PNM going to Illinois is that it's easy to let the Greek system be your entire life, but the Greek system is pretty homogeneous, and college is a great time to meet people from different backgrounds. Don't waste that and spend all four years isolating yourself with other upper-middle-class kids from the suburbs.
I guess you've already met with the PNM, but as someone from the Western Suburbs who has friends that still have connections to chapters down there, I totally agree. It's very easy to join XXX because everyone from your high school joined it, but this is a time to branch out and meet new people. Contrary to popular belief, you do not have to join certain sororities if you went to certain high schools! It's a great school with so many wonderful opportunities; Greek life can be a great way to enhance it.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I met with Sarah and Pat yesterday. We had a lovely visit. I gave a Panhellenic push but also had printed out the Purpose, some AGD facts, and a photo of the house.
Closed Thread