GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 298,887
Threads: 114,173
Posts: 2,151,048
Welcome to our newest member, uyogcmjaba
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-09-2015, 05:31 PM
ihavetheanswers ihavetheanswers is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2
Can I leave a mgc frat and join an ifc frat?

Is it possible for me to pledge or even join an ifc fraternity if I leave a mgc(multicultural) one? I've been in this mgc fraternity for a year and actually chartered it. However, I really have no connection or really like any of the guys that I'm with because they turned out to be different people after the pledge process was over. I didn't know what I was getting into before I pledged because I knew nothing about greek life at all and had no chance to rush for any other fraternity. With that being said, joining this fraternity is probably the biggest regret I have so far in my college life. After we crossed and were initiated, the reality was no one really puts in the effort in the organization I'm in at the moment besides me and 2 or 3 others, we are getting less members each semester, and we've been on academic probation our first 2 and only 2 semesters due to grades of some people in my class that were extremely low. Frankly, we are probably going to die in the next few semesters since we really haven't done anything of significance at all since we got established in fall 2013. I realized that the org I helped chartered on to the campus at my school wasn't really for me, but I don't know if I'm still allowed to pledge/rush for an ifc frat if I quit this mgc one since it is different councils at my school.

TLDR: Chartered a failing fraternity because less than 1/3 of the guys puts in the work and I want to actually experience greek life in an actually established setting instead of sitting around and doing nothing in my current organization and wasting my college years away.

Last edited by ihavetheanswers; 03-09-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-09-2015, 05:43 PM
Kevin Kevin is online now
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,047
You'd have to ask that individual fraternity. For most of us, I'd say no. Also, there's no national IFC affiliation. That's through NIC, but many orgs in your IFC are not in NIC, and even some MCGLOs are NIC along with a few of the NPHC.
__________________
SN -SINCE 1869-
"EXCELLING WITH HONOR"
S N E T T
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Sen's Revenge Sen's Revenge is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 874
Which MGC frat? It may depend.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-09-2015, 06:03 PM
ihavetheanswers ihavetheanswers is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2
Pi alpha phi and also who should I talk to at my school about this?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-09-2015, 06:08 PM
Sen's Revenge Sen's Revenge is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavetheanswers View Post
Pi alpha phi and also who should I talk to at my school about this?
I suppose your Greek life or student affairs coordinator.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-11-2015, 01:47 AM
PiKA2001 PiKA2001 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: TX
Posts: 3,748
If your current fraternity isn't in the NIC then yes, theoretically you are able to join an NIC fraternity. I'd ask the specific fraternity you were wanting to join or ask the Greek life advisor if your school has a structured formal fraternity Rush.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-11-2015, 02:01 AM
tld221 tld221 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: only the best city in the world
Posts: 6,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavetheanswers View Post
Is it possible for me to pledge or even join an ifc fraternity if I leave a mgc(multicultural) one? I've been in this mgc fraternity for a year and actually chartered it. However, I really have no connection or really like any of the guys that I'm with because they turned out to be different people after the pledge process was over. I didn't know what I was getting into before I pledged because I knew nothing about greek life at all and had no chance to rush for any other fraternity. With that being said, joining this fraternity is probably the biggest regret I have so far in my college life. After we crossed and were initiated, the reality was no one really puts in the effort in the organization I'm in at the moment besides me and 2 or 3 others, we are getting less members each semester, and we've been on academic probation our first 2 and only 2 semesters due to grades of some people in my class that were extremely low. Frankly, we are probably going to die in the next few semesters since we really haven't done anything of significance at all since we got established in fall 2013. I realized that the org I helped chartered on to the campus at my school wasn't really for me, but I don't know if I'm still allowed to pledge/rush for an ifc frat if I quit this mgc one since it is different councils at my school.

TLDR: Chartered a failing fraternity because less than 1/3 of the guys puts in the work and I want to actually experience greek life in an actually established setting instead of sitting around and doing nothing in my current organization and wasting my college years away.
Fine, I'll QFP.
__________________
Do you know people? Have you interacted with them? Because this is pretty standard no-brainer stuff. -33girl
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-11-2015, 10:02 AM
chi-o_cat chi-o_cat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 421
I don't know WHY, but every time I see this thread, I want to read it as "Can I leave a Magic Hat and join an IFC Frat?"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-11-2015, 12:58 PM
SWTXBelle's Avatar
SWTXBelle SWTXBelle is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Land of Chaos
Posts: 8,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
I don't know WHY, but every time I see this thread, I want to read it as "Can I leave a Magic Hat and join an IFC Frat?"

Me, too. That's a much more interesting thread.
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
Courtesy is owed, respect is earned, love is given.
Proud daughter AND mother of a Gamma Phi. 3 generations of love, labor, learning and loyalty.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I join a Frat? WhiteDude Greek Life 16 07-29-2010 06:45 PM
Can i join a black frat? what2do08 Recruitment 19 12-09-2008 01:37 AM
which frat to join? chscrew144 Phi Gamma Delta 17 05-05-2002 11:50 AM
Wanting to join a certain Frat Inquisitive Alpha Phi Alpha 3 05-04-2001 09:46 AM
Able to keep my gf and join a frat? PurdueUguy Greek Life 3 09-10-2000 05:30 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.