GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,425
1 members and 2,424 guests
No Members online

Old 10-20-2014, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Female / Male Numbers in Greek System

Numbers of Female and Male Greeks: West Chester U (PA) is an example of disparity in a growing Greek system, but certainly not the only example:

http://www.wcuquad.com/6002057/news/....2ZV4KJZ3.dpbs

Interestingly enough, at West Chester, reportedly, the number of NPC women (~1,200) is about double that of the IFC men (~600). That appears to be a slightly more prominent example of the Greek female / male numbers discrepancy we’re seeing at a lot of schools.

I know that at present, in general, more women than men are enrolled as undergrads, right? Still, Greek systems in a lot of places seem to have tilted to a greater female preponderance than just the enrollment numbers would suggest.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that."

So: Where are the guys at? Any ideas why?

Just asking.

Last edited by exlurker; 10-20-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-20-2014, 08:05 PM

All the SSHEPA schools have more women than men. It's been that way for a long long long time and I doubt if it will ever change.

On greakrenk, people were actually saying "we have to have an equal number of fraternities and sororities." They don't get it. But what's happening at WCU is so bizarre to me I don't even know where to start. Happily bizarre, but still bizarre.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

At Washington University, the ladies have their stuff together. They are organized, responsible, and fun groups. They are not a risk management problem. The men have more problems and some of them are down right sketchy. They are a huge risk management problem.

I will be very, very blunt: I would be perfectly happy if my daughter wanted to join a sorority. I have serious questions about whether I want my sons to joint a GLO. I'm not sure what the guys are learning. Many male GLOs have a lot of risk management issues on many campuses.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:57 PM

^^But is there parity overall?

As much as our national HQs would love to believe that sororities can survive and thrive without fraternities, from my experience it just doesn't work that way. It seems that the competitiveness and cattiness among sororities gets worse. The other thing that happens is the sororities start having mixers with athletic teams and other groups that have zero in the way of risk management policies.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
I'm actually the adviser for the AST chapter at West Chester University.

I've seen this first hand....a lot of guys don't want to go Greek. They end up sports (either intramural or school based.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
Numbers of Female and Male Greeks: West Chester U (PA) is an example of disparity in a growing Greek system, but certainly not the only example:

http://www.wcuquad.com/6002057/news/....2ZV4KJZ3.dpbs

Interestingly enough, at West Chester, reportedly, the number of NPC women (~1,200) is about double that of the IFC men (~600). That appears to be a slightly more prominent example of the Greek female / male numbers discrepancy we’re seeing at a lot of schools.

I know that at present, in general, more women than men are enrolled as undergrads, right? Still, Greek systems in a lot of places seem to have tilted to a greater female preponderance than just the enrollment numbers would suggest.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that."

So: Where are the guys at? Any ideas why?

Just asking.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Statistics from the University of Alabama's Greek Affairs' Spring 2014 grade report:
Alabama Panhellenic Association: 5,110 members
InterFraternity Council: 2,742
NPHC: 148
United Greek Council (3 Latino/local fraternities and sororities): 167

I don't have exact figures, but it seems like when I was in school 14890 years ago, I ran across the figures and was shocked that there were so many fewer fraternity members.

Especially considering that a fraternal political party controlled all the elections. If the sororities ever colluded to put up and vote for their own candidates, if would wipe that silly group off the face of the earth in a couple of elections.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleChick19 View Post
I'm actually the adviser for the AST chapter at West Chester University.

I've seen this first hand....a lot of guys don't want to go Greek. They end up sports (either intramural or school based.)
I'm an adviser at St. Joseph's University and the same situation exists there. Panhel is actively trying to get more guys to join fraternities, asking the sororities to talk up Greek life to their guy friends, etc. I chalked up the lack of interest in Greek life to St. Joe's being a Jesuit school and generally not being that into it as a big state school would be, but maybe there's more to it than that.

Does Penn State have less fraternity guys than sorority women?
Old 10-21-2014, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I think that most schools aren't that skewed, and it seems like the ones that are skewed are the same ones that had really explosive growth in NPC recruitment in the last, say, ten years. I wonder if they were fairly even for a long time, and then NPC grew while IFC did not.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that men just don't have the desire to form "packs" like the women do, as evidenced by their ability to go to the bathroom alone
Old 10-21-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIILisa View Post
I'm an adviser at St. Joseph's University and the same situation exists there. Panhel is actively trying to get more guys to join fraternities, asking the sororities to talk up Greek life to their guy friends, etc. I chalked up the lack of interest in Greek life to St. Joe's being a Jesuit school and generally not being that into it as a big state school would be, but maybe there's more to it than that.

Does Penn State have less fraternity guys than sorority women?
Penn State has around 50 IFC fraternities and 20 NPC sororities. The fraternities would have to try really hard to be super small.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Penn State has around 50 IFC fraternities and 20 NPC sororities. The fraternities would have to try really hard to be super small.
Wow!