GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 299,950
Threads: 114,207
Posts: 2,151,443
Welcome to our newest member, drfcghghjh
» Online Users: 327
3 members and 324 guests
cdfovgvwrm, dravicwp, kevinlews
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 09-24-2014, 03:48 AM
LAblondeGPhi's Avatar
LAblondeGPhi LAblondeGPhi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: GMT + 2
Posts: 837
Sigh, we had butt letters in college, and I was so excited about them at the time. I blame Juicy Couture (and maybe our youth, too).
__________________
I heart Gamma Phi Beta
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-24-2014, 12:48 PM
Low D Flat Low D Flat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 294
As long as you don't wear shorts that say "PINK TACO" across the butt! I'm still not recovered from seeing that.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-24-2014, 01:02 PM
ColdInCanada11 ColdInCanada11 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 779
I think shirts in your organisation's colours should be used for bid day, unless it's a white or black t-shirt with the letters in the colours. All of my Alpha Gam clothes are in red, buff, or green, or a neutral garment.
__________________
AGD
Squirrels just want to have fun!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-24-2014, 01:11 PM
Low D Flat Low D Flat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 294
The chapters at Ole Miss seem to use the same traditional new member shirt designs year after year, and they are white shirts with letters in house colors. That's cool.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-24-2014, 01:52 PM
DeltaBetaBaby DeltaBetaBaby is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ILL-INI
Posts: 7,176
Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInCanada11 View Post
I think shirts in your organisation's colours should be used for bid day, unless it's a white or black t-shirt with the letters in the colours. All of my Alpha Gam clothes are in red, buff, or green, or a neutral garment.
Our chapter did different colors by pledge class. Some chapters do different colors because they relate to a theme. I think that bid day t-shirt colors are the absolute lowest priority thing we could be criticizing about recruitment.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-24-2014, 04:19 PM
PersistentDST PersistentDST is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Our chapter did different colors by pledge class. Some chapters do different colors because they relate to a theme. I think that bid day t-shirt colors are the absolute lowest priority thing we could be criticizing about recruitment.
Since I am not as indoctrinated with NPC culture as many of you are here, I started this thread simply stating observations from my experience, which is what sparked this discussion. I think we all understand the t-shirt thing, I just wanted to understand some peoples/chapters minimizing use of the colors their founders chose. I am hoping to work in higher education as a career, and I want to be able to understand organizations cultures in order to work with them, which is why I volunteered. I understand this isn't "Advanced NPC 101", but it helps people like me.

Thanks to those who have contributed opinions!

And death to "butt letters!"
__________________
A woman of DSTinction
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-24-2014, 05:56 PM
DeltaBetaBaby DeltaBetaBaby is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ILL-INI
Posts: 7,176
Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
Since I am not as indoctrinated with NPC culture as many of you are here, I started this thread simply stating observations from my experience, which is what sparked this discussion. I think we all understand the t-shirt thing, I just wanted to understand some peoples/chapters minimizing use of the colors their founders chose. I am hoping to work in higher education as a career, and I want to be able to understand organizations cultures in order to work with them, which is why I volunteered. I understand this isn't "Advanced NPC 101", but it helps people like me.

Thanks to those who have contributed opinions!

And death to "butt letters!"
Sorry, let me back up and apologize; I didn't mean that to be directed at you. I appreciate you volunteering and I really appreciate you sharing your observations here. I was directing my comment at the fact that the colors of the bid day shirts became the main thrust of this thread, not at your initial note on the topic. We GCers can get into some SERIOUS minutia.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-24-2014, 06:01 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
Since I am not as indoctrinated with NPC culture as many of you are here, I started this thread simply stating observations from my experience, which is what sparked this discussion. I think we all understand the t-shirt thing, I just wanted to understand some peoples/chapters minimizing use of the colors their founders chose. I am hoping to work in higher education as a career, and I want to be able to understand organizations cultures in order to work with them, which is why I volunteered. I understand this isn't "Advanced NPC 101", but it helps people like me.

Thanks to those who have contributed opinions!

And death to "butt letters!"
As an old head I will say that I don't think there was NEARLY as much of the going outside your group's colors when getting sweatshirts made and/or finding them was more of a chore. It started changing when you could first find the letter stencils in craft shops and now that you can get pretty much any combo online, people do.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-24-2014, 09:32 PM
NinjaPoodle NinjaPoodle is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: On the beach. Well....not really but near it. :0)
Posts: 12,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
I had an opportunity to volunteer for recruitment this year, and it is certainly an experience! I wanted to thank all of you ladies (and gentlemen) with giving me a lot of great information about the terms/process/etc. I assisted with handing out and organizing MRABA's on Pref Day and helped/observed on Bid Day.

Just a few random observations:
.....

3. I know this is an NPHC person talking, but I wish that the first shirts given to the new girls were in the official sorority colors. One chapter did wear shirts in their colors with their letters on the front and a cute saying on the back, but 3 of the other chapters all had shirts in the same colors/styles. From where the PNM's were standing, they couldn't see the letters on the tops, so if a member wasn't holding their letters/signs high it caused confusion! A couple of young ladies started to run "home" in the wrong direction! ....

I took photos at Bid Day at San Francisco State this past Monday. There are only 3 NPC houses but I thought it was interesting that they all wore white shirts with designs. I know the difference but someone looking at the images who doesn't know theta from kappa wouldn't know. The rest of campus passing by the festivities made comments ( the usual 'What is this, oh sorority girls' etc.) regarding not being able to tell them apart. All you could see was one white blob of young women (photo nightmare on a sunny day!) with flowers in their hair.
__________________
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. ** Greater Service, Greater Progress
Since 1922
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-25-2014, 10:39 AM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 14,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
I took photos at Bid Day at San Francisco State this past Monday. There are only 3 NPC houses but I thought it was interesting that they all wore white shirts with designs. I know the difference but someone looking at the images who doesn't know theta from kappa wouldn't know. The rest of campus passing by the festivities made comments ( the usual 'What is this, oh sorority girls' etc.) regarding not being able to tell them apart. All you could see was one white blob of young women (photo nightmare on a sunny day!) with flowers in their hair.
This!
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-25-2014, 01:45 PM
NinjaPoodle NinjaPoodle is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: On the beach. Well....not really but near it. :0)
Posts: 12,722
I took the first photo but not the other two (clink link) but you can see what I'm talking about.
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...postcount=3542
__________________
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. ** Greater Service, Greater Progress
Since 1922
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-26-2014, 12:43 PM
tcsparky tcsparky is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: near charlotte, nc, usa
Posts: 362
Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
A close look shows that these shirts are nothing alike! One is a white crew neck, one is a white V neck and one is a white sleeveless tank..........

<for comic relief.......>
__________________
ΑΞΔ - - - Alpha Xi Delta
It's not what you've just become, but what you've always been.
You.... have chosen to act as a snarky asshat- KATMANDU
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Observations of a Neophyte ladyandthevamp Alpha Kappa Alpha 2 05-17-2006 09:24 AM
Cruise Observations amanda6035 Greek Life 0 03-11-2006 12:45 AM
Observations on the new Q AGDAlum Alpha Gamma Delta 3 08-23-2005 10:22 PM
Observations DoggyStyle82 Omega Psi Phi 119 06-28-2004 09:50 AM
A few observations RayAckley Delta Sigma Phi 2 06-28-2003 02:32 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.