GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,401
1 members and 1,400 guests
janesstexxda745

Old 09-19-2014, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Of course courts have said there are limits on free speech. But if this qualifies as speech—unlike Kevin, I'm not as convinced it does—I don't think those limits would apply here. Kevin's argument isn't nearly as bad as you seem to think. Except, that is, as to the claim of offended students being "overly sensitive."
It's a speech vs. conduct issue, where conduct is not as protected as, for example, dialogue or political speech. Of course the conduct cases point to two other types of conduct which aren't protected. There was a case during the Vietnam War where an individual was prosecuted for burning his draft card in protest. He was prosecuted and it was upheld because of the government's need to draft individuals into the military, etc. (that's not a very good statement of the holding, but I'm going from memory here).

I think there was a similar holding in a case which allowed a municipality to zone in such a way as to suppress adult theaters and book stores which claimed they had a First Amendment right to be where they were.

Another conduct case I can think of is the flag burning case in which 5-4, the act of burning a flag is protected.

There's also a line of speech/conduct cases which state that any speech which is likely to incite violence is not necessarily protected (no yelling fire in a crowded theater).

And of course we know what Westboro does is A-Okay... It's fine to denigrate homosexuals, some might say, but race should be more strictly protected?

What I find very interesting about all of those standards is that in all of the above-referenced cases, we had speech which was intentionally used to inflame one group or another. What I find kind of funny about what would be the natural result of a "It is conduct, therefore not protected" argument is that such a standard would actually mean you can be punished for unintentional speech, but if you go out and burn a cross and hang a black faced scarecrow from a noose and burn it in effigy? The school can't touch you. I'm not sure I like the intellectual consistency of that position.

Quote:
Then it's time for these college-aged women to grow up and learn that their stupidity and cluelessness can have consequences.
I've never argued there should be no consequences. Just no consequences from the University, since it is a public institution. I would imagine, ADPi's headquarters and local alumnae, left to their own discretion would probably handle things internally and happily issue the necessary apologies. The Latino community might protest in front of the ADPi house, there could be reputational consequences, but when we start letting groups of people punish other groups of people for speech or conduct which was just offensive, I don't believe that's a constitutional or even equitable use of government resources.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 09-19-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-19-2014, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
I totally get that. I had to attend a multitude of meetings when some young ladies got stupid. It made national news.

http://www.bgnews.com/kent-state-sor...b624a9ac8.html
W.
T.
F.

I have no words. Damn, some white people are stupid.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
If you stand around saying nothing when your sorority sisters show up in offensive costumes, you are part of the problem.
I think someone did say something, since it was an internal recruitment prep week event.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
What I find very interesting about all of those standards is that in all of the above-referenced cases, we had speech which was intentionally used to inflame one group or another.
But the other thing they all have in common is that whether pure speech (as in words) or conduct (draft card or flag burning) or a mix (Westboro Baptist), they are true political speech, intended to convey a political or idealogical message, which is at the heart of the First Amendment. I'm not sure donning a sombrero, serape or gang clothes for a Taco Tuesday party carry any intent to speak within the meaning of the First Amendment.

Quote:
I've never argued there should be no consequences.
I know. I was responding to redryder27's comment that these were just college-aged women playing around who weren't thinking about serious sanctions when they were dressing up.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Unless those people are overly-sensitive minorities?
Basically.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Banned

Didn't Kevin say the "consequence" should be the diversity training? Not only is that not a true "consequence" but aren't people tired of racial and ethnic diversity and understanding being used as a "consequence"?

Last edited by DrPhil; 09-19-2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: I left out the "not"
Old 09-19-2014, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Didn't Kevin say the "consequence" should be the diversity training? Not only is that a true "consequence" but aren't people tired of racial and ethnic diversity and understanding being used as a "consequence"?
Could be.

I'm going to even walk back on that initial position I took there. I don't think the school should be able to punish these groups in any way, shape or form under the 1st Amendment.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:00 PM
Banned

Then, like I said before, I look forward to Halloween.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
But the other thing they all have in common is that whether pure speech (as in words) or conduct (draft card or flag burning) or a mix (Westboro Baptist), they are true political speech, intended to convey a political or idealogical message, which is at the heart of the First Amendment. I'm not sure donning a sombrero, serape or gang clothes for a Taco Tuesday party carry any intent to speak within the meaning of the First Amendment.
So if on MLK Day, the Kappa Tappa Kegga at a public school stages an event where they have a lynching of a straw man off campus where they wave the Confederate Flag while burning the lynched straw man in effigy, chanting racist slogans, clamoring for a return of Jim Crow, that would be more protected by the First Amendment than some kids showing up to Taco Tuesday in a sombrero or dressed like cholos?

I don't think I would totally buy that, it doesn't seem consistent. The reading of the First Amendment, especially these days with the Roberts court, tends to be very broad.

If I had a client with this sort of issue, I'd kind of like my chances in a 1983 case.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So if on MLK Day, the Kappa Tappa Kegga at a public school stages an event where they have a lynching of a straw man off campus where they wave the Confederate Flag while burning the lynched straw man in effigy, chanting racist slogans, clamoring for a return of Jim Crow, that would be more protected by the First Amendment than some kids showing up to Taco Tuesday in a sombrero or dressed like cholos?
Quite possibly. I'd suggest that the former is precisely the sort of speech the First Amendment exists to protect. As to the latter—what were they trying to say exactly? Anything?

Quote:
I don't think I would totally buy that, it doesn't seem consistent. The reading of the First Amendment, especially these days with the Roberts court, tends to be very broad.

If I had a client with this sort of issue, I'd kind of like my chances in a 1983 case.
It's all going to depend on your judge(s), who likely won't be the Supremes. It might be covered speech, but I just don't consider it a slam dunk at all.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
the Supremes
Old 09-19-2014, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Yeah, they definitely won't be the judges.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quite possibly. I'd suggest that the former is precisely the sort of speech the First Amendment exists to protect. As to the latter—what were they trying to say exactly? Anything?
I'd argue that they were trying to communicate that they were in character for Taco Tuesday. Tacos are Mexican food, so we'll dress like Mexicans and show everyone how into this we are. Clothing choice, especially extreme clothing choices are certainly a form of communication.

Quote:
It's all going to depend on your judge(s), who likely won't be the Supremes. It might be covered speech, but I just don't consider it a slam dunk at all.
No, but the Roberts court's very broad interpretation of the 1st Amendment as of late is important and don't think the District Judges aren't paying attention to it.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'd argue that they were trying to communicate that they were in character for Taco Tuesday. Tacos are Mexican food, so we'll dress like Mexicans and show everyone how into this we are. Clothing choice, especially extreme clothing choices are certainly a form of communication.
And perhaps that argument would win. I'm just saying I don't think it's an open-and-shut case.

Quote:
No, but the Roberts court's very broad interpretation of the 1st Amendment as of late is important and don't think the District Judges aren't paying attention to it.
Paying attention, sure. But likewise, don't think there aren't quite a few district court (and circuit court) judges very willing to find ways to distinguish those Roberts Court cases from the cases before them. Again, not an open-and-shut case.