GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 296,873
Threads: 114,117
Posts: 2,150,230
Welcome to our newest member, aeeascahvs5326
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-14-2014, 05:00 AM
OneandDone OneandDone is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 18
Question Magic Kingdom Fairytale

Hello everyone! I've browsed these threads sometimes and I'm excited to share my rush story!

I rushed last year and things turned out less than desirable. I really wanted to be in a sorority though. I wanted to be involved in campus, to raise money for a philanthropy, to make great friendships, to hang out with frats, and to be a part of, what I perceive to be, an amazing network of men and women across the country and even continent. I have a pretty high GPA for college and was really involved in sports in high school.

I went in this time with a really open mind. I was already aware of "tiers" and tent talk and I already knew which ones I liked from last year. I also finally realized that "perceived great house" does not equal "great house for me."

For orientation we sat in a big auditorium and I happened to sit next to this girl Massie. We talked about school and rushing and she's a legacy at one (her parents met through Greek life at our school). I told her some of my stories from last year, hoping she would learn from it and keep an open mind, even with a legacy!

Turns out we were in the same Rho Chi group! And her last name was right in front of mine haha. Mad cool. We also met our Rho Chi's. They all seem really cool and nice. I'm not going to lie, I immediately stalked which sororities they were in. I already knew I was favorable to all three.

At our school we have four rounds, open house, first round, second round, and preference night.

I went to Disney World recently so I decided to make my codes by some attractions and entertainment at Magic Kingdom.

Mad Tea Party
Peter Pan's Flight
Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid
Enchanted Tales with Belle
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Haunted Mansion
Mickey's PhilharMagic
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom
"it's a small world"
Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room
Tom Sawyer Island
Monsters , Inc. Laugh Floor
Stitch's Great Escape
#INCREDIBLESSuperDanceParty
Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade
Tomorrowland Arcade

Feel free to ask any questions as they come up! Also feel free to gush/obsess over Disney World with me! However, I'd like to keep my school a secret so if you know it, please do not post about it until I reveal it.

Last edited by OneandDone; 09-14-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-14-2014, 09:56 AM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 14,947
Disney World fan here. Looking forward to reading your story.
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-14-2014, 01:25 PM
ASUADPi ASUADPi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 6,353
never been to Disney World, but I'm still looking forward to reading your story.
__________________
"Sue Sylvester. Dance on Air."
"Will Schuester, I hate you."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-14-2014, 05:06 PM
OneandDone OneandDone is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Disney World fan here. Looking forward to reading your story.
Thanks, I hope everyone enjoys it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
never been to Disney World, but I'm still looking forward to reading your story.
You should definitely go!

The first round was open houses. We went to nine sororities; three, break, three, break, and final three. The rounds were pretty short but I felt like the conversation was never too difficult nor were there that many basic conversations like what my major was (which happened a lot last year). Just a reminder, Massie is the first girl I met at orientation and the girl in front of me in line.

I know we don't like tiers here, but they exist, and they were present in my head. I didn't really let them make my choice but I'll put some info in just to be honest and because it's interesting in my opinion. I didn't tell any of the other PNM's rankings or my preferences, and the girl to the other side of me (not Massie) was especially focused on getting a top one (I kept trying to tell her to focus on the girls she liked the most but I'm not sure she listened. She is a sweetheart though).

Space Ranger Spin - It wasn't bad, had good conversations. I don't remember that much. One of my friends at A&M is in this sorority. I really liked this one last year even though it's sort of lower tiered. Also my old manager was one of these hahaa.

Enchanted Tales with Belle - The girls we talked to were nice and preppy. I saw my old neighbor from freshman year (who is drop-dead gorgeous and extremely nice). Massie didn't particularly like this one, which surprised me since it was top tier.

Haunted Mansion - We talked to two girls, very nice but not the best connection. Second girl we talked to was gorgeous! I also really liked this one last year. Middle tier and also the house of one of my Rho Chi's.

Laugh Floor - This was the first time I had a conversation without Massie. Talked to one really sweet girl who was a bit nervous I think because she messed up a few of her first questions. But I asked her a lot of questions and eventually we had a good conversation about the type of music she liked. I really really really liked this house, this year and last. A middle tier, and another house of a Rho Chi.

Journey of The Little Mermaid - The girls didn't switch so we only talked to one girl the entire time. I felt like the girl didn't pay much attention to me, but more on Massie. I asked a lot of questions to keep the conversation going. Massie really liked this one. I didn't, but I didn't tell her I didn't. Upper middle tier and predominantly Jewish.

Enchanted Tiki Room - Massie and I talked with one girl the entire time. She was very nice and we particularly liked their name tags. This is one of the top tiers. My friend joined this one her sophomore year after dropping out her freshman year (Freshman year she got the "lowest three" sororities. I didn't see her though.

Incredible's Dance Party - Massie was a legacy here, same campus, so we had a lot of girls coming to us. At one point we were talking with three girls which was sort of amusing. One of them was really into theater and we had a good conversation about Disney haha. Another upper tier and I knew a girl from here who was very beautiful and kind as well.

Tomorrowland Arcade - I only remember the color of their shirts. I think it was good. Middle tier.

Tom Sawyer Island - I was a legacy here but different campus. It was nice but not amazing. Another Rho Chi house. Top tier.

All in all not a bad day. Long, but enough breaks. Everyone was nice and I really like my Rho Chi's. I'm probably wearing the same outfit tomorrow since everyone has to wear the same recruitment shirt and I'm not seeing the same sororities anyhow.

Throughout the day I almost felt like a Rho Chi myself. I would answer some other PNM questions and it was interesting watching these girls go through what I went through last year. I was a little jealous because they were mostly freshman, but I like my Rho Chi group overall.

Hope you enjoy (and continue to enjoy) and have a magical day!

Last edited by OneandDone; 09-14-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-14-2014, 05:35 PM
ree-Xi ree-Xi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: State of Imagination
Posts: 3,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneandDone View Post
Hello everyone! I've browsed these threads sometimes and I'm excited to share my rush story!

For orientation we sat in a big auditorium and I happened to sit next to this girl Massie. We talked about school and rushing and she's a legacy at one (her parents met through Greek life at our school). Turns out we were in the same Rho Chi group! And her last name was right in front of mine haha. Mad cool. We also met our Rho Chi's. They all seem really cool and nice. We have four rounds, open house, first round, second round, and preference night.

I went to Disney World recently so I decided to make my codes by some attractions and entertainment at Magic Kingdom.

Mad Tea Party
Peter Pan's Flight
Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid
Enchanted Tales with Belle
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Haunted Mansion
Mickey's PhilharMagic
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom
"it's a small world"
Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room
Tom Sawyer Island
Monsters , Inc. Laugh Floor
Stitch's Great Escape
#INCREDIBLESSuperDanceParty
Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade
Tomorrowland Arcade

Feel free to ask any questions as they come up! Also feel free to gush/obsess over Disney World with me! However, I'd like to keep my school a secret so if you know it, please do not post about it until I reveal it.

I am posting a few days late but don't worry! I read one of the stickies and I will make sure I finish my thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneandDone View Post
Thanks, I hope everyone enjoys it!



You should definitely go!

The first round was open houses. We went to nine sororities; three, break, three, break, and final three. The rounds were pretty short but I felt like the conversation was never too difficult nor were there that many basic conversations like what my major was. Just a reminder, Massie is the first girl I met at orientation and the girl in front of me in line.

Enchanted Tiki Room - Massie and I talked with one girl the entire time. She was very nice and we particularly liked their name tags.
Space Ranger Spin - It wasn't bad, had good conversations. I don't remember that much. One of my friends at A&M is in this sorority.
Tomorrowland Arcade - I only remember the color of their shirts. I think it was good.
Enchanted Tales with Belle - The girls we talked to were nice and preppy. Massie didn't particularly like this one.
Haunted Mansion - We talked to two girls, very nice but not the best connection. Second girl we talked to was gorgeous!
Journey of The Little Mermaid - The girls didn't switch so we only talked to one girl the entire time. I felt like the girl didn't pay much attention to me, but more on Massie. I asked a lot of questions to keep the conversation going. Massie really liked this one. I didn't, but I didn't tell her I didn't.
Incredible's Dance Party - Massie was a legacy here, same campus, so we had a lot of girls coming to us. At one point we were talking with three girls which was sort of amusing. One of them was really into theater and we had a good convo.
Laugh Floor - This was the first time I had a conversation without Massie. Talked to one really sweet girl who was a bit nervous I think because she messed up a few of her first questions. But we had a good conversation about the type of music she liked.
Tom Sawyer Island - I was a legacy here but different campus. It was nice but not amazing.

All in all not a bad day. Long, but enough breaks. Everyone was nice and I really like my Rho Chi's. I'm probably wearing the same outfit tomorrow since everyone has to wear the same recruitment shirt and I'm not seeing the same sororities anyhow.

Hope you enjoy (and continue to enjoy) and have a magical day!
Is it common to be paired with the same fellow PNM from your group at most/all of the parties during the first round?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-14-2014, 08:01 PM
OneandDone OneandDone is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Is it common to be paired with the same fellow PNM from your group at most/all of the parties during the first round?
I would say yes because the first day was on a weekend and most of the girls did not have conflicts for class. Also we were near the beginning of our group so I'm guessing most of the one-on-ones were near the end when the sorority sisters could tell they had enough of them to match with us.

Edit: Also, I would say there were ~30 girls (maybe a little less, also had to include traveling time for sorority sisters switching conversation partners) for 45-50 PNM's so most were double rushed.

Last edited by OneandDone; 09-14-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-14-2014, 08:20 PM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 14,947
Space ranger spin is one of my favorite rides(although I am terrible at it).
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-14-2014, 08:30 PM
OneandDone OneandDone is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Space ranger spin is one of my favorite rides(although I am terrible at it).
Same, it was also one of the sororities I really had my eye on! I want to learn how to get the 999,999 score!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-15-2014, 01:07 AM
Wynter Wynter is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 94
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
__________________
☠☠☠
Sigma Sigma Sigma
ever forward
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-15-2014, 11:01 AM
OneandDone OneandDone is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynter View Post
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
Thanks, I definitely think my story is unique and will have some surprises!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-15-2014, 09:32 PM
OneandDone OneandDone is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 18
On to the next day! Still open houses. I always had a nice long time to get ready which was really relaxing.

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom - The sorority girl greeted me and it turned out I knew her! We thought it was hilarious and it was really good seeing her and seeing how much she loved her sorority because last year she was hesitant to join. Lower tier, and known for taking everyone. I know in the past people would purposely be rude or not make conversation but I didn't really see that happening, which was good.

Mad Tea Party - We had two really really peppy girls and we talked about vacations. These girls are upper-middle and I don't really know much about them but they seemed really nice.

Peter Pan's Flight - I was surprised, but we had really good conversations. This is an upper tier sorority and the girls are known to be "bitchy" but both the girls we spoke to were very sweet.

Stitch's Great Escape - Don't remember much other than the shoes they were wearing. Last year their parties seemed very hectic and unorganized but it seemed a lot better this year. Middle/lower tier.

"it's a small world" - This is the first and only time there were three of us in a group (Massie, I, and another girl). I knew a girl last year who joined and dropped even though it's middle-upper. I've also heard these girls are "bitchy" as well but they seemed fine.

Magic Carpets - Not bad, don't remember much. One of my friends at Ole Miss is in this sorority, so I sort of wanted to be in it just to have that connection. Middle/lower tier and a few friends from last year joined, but there was also a girl in there who I really didn't care for (I'm not sure how she felt about me, neutral at best).

Festival of Fantasy - I was by myself not with Massie and I only talked to one girl but I didn't feel any connection. She kept looking away and our conversation was not very smooth. A lot of question/answer, so sort of like an interview but a little more informal. She seemed disinterested in both me and her sorority. Middle tier.

PhilharMagic- Don't remember much, not super impressed. Middle tier, and one of the "Jewish" sororities (of course a lot of non-Jewish girls as well!)

We had to rank our four lowest, 1. the one we wouldn't mind going back to, and 4. we would like to go back to the least. I felt like I didn't really get to know all the sororities too well so I wouldn't really care getting my bottom back. Also since I rushed last year I was really going to be happy with anything I got back, especially this early in the game. I ranked:

1. Enchanted Tales with Belle
2. Stitch's Great Escape
3. Festival of Fantasy
4. Journey of The Little Mermaid

All the new girls were excited to rank for the first time (and confused as well). I think there was some tent talk already going on but not much. I think a lot of girls genuinely had no idea which were the "good" sororities which I thought was great! I really wasn't sure what I was going to wear the next day so that was on my mind as well.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-16-2014, 01:17 PM
AnchorAlumna AnchorAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Old South
Posts: 2,704
Please.
I'm turning blue now.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-16-2014, 03:41 PM
ree-Xi ree-Xi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: State of Imagination
Posts: 3,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneandDone View Post
I would say yes because the first day was on a weekend and most of the girls did not have conflicts for class. Also we were near the beginning of our group so I'm guessing most of the one-on-ones were near the end when the sorority sisters could tell they had enough of them to match with us.

Edit: Also, I would say there were ~30 girls (maybe a little less, also had to include traveling time for sorority sisters switching conversation partners) for 45-50 PNM's so most were double rushed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneandDone View Post
On to the next day! Still open houses. I always had a nice long time to get ready which was really relaxing.

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom - The sorority girl greeted me and it turned out I knew her! We thought it was hilarious and it was really good seeing her and seeing how much she loved her sorority because last year she was hesitant to join. Lower tier, and known for taking everyone. I know in the past people would purposely be rude or not make conversation but I didn't really see that happening, which was good.

Mad Tea Party - We had two really really peppy girls and we talked about vacations. These girls are upper-middle and I don't really know much about them but they seemed really nice.

Peter Pan's Flight - I was surprised, but we had really good conversations. This is an upper tier sorority and the girls are known to be "bitchy" but both the girls we spoke to were very sweet.

Stitch's Great Escape - Don't remember much other than the shoes they were wearing. Last year their parties seemed very hectic and unorganized but it seemed a lot better this year. Middle/lower tier.

"it's a small world" - This is the first and only time there were three of us in a group (Massie, I, and another girl). I knew a girl last year who joined and dropped even though it's middle-upper. I've also heard these girls are "bitchy" as well but they seemed fine.

Magic Carpets - Not bad, don't remember much. One of my friends at Ole Miss is in this sorority, so I sort of wanted to be in it just to have that connection. Middle/lower tier and a few friends from last year joined, but there was also a girl in there who I really didn't care for (I'm not sure how she felt about me, neutral at best).

Festival of Fantasy - I was by myself not with Massie and I only talked to one girl but I didn't feel any connection. She kept looking away and our conversation was not very smooth. A lot of question/answer, so sort of like an interview but a little more informal. She seemed disinterested in both me and her sorority. Middle tier.

PhilharMagic- Don't remember much, not super impressed. Middle tier, and one of the "Jewish" sororities (of course a lot of non-Jewish girls as well!)

We had to rank our four lowest, 1. the one we wouldn't mind going back to, and 4. we would like to go back to the least. I felt like I didn't really get to know all the sororities too well so I wouldn't really care getting my bottom back. Also since I rushed last year I was really going to be happy with anything I got back, especially this early in the game. I ranked:

1. Enchanted Tales with Belle
2. Stitch's Great Escape
3. Festival of Fantasy
4. Journey of The Little Mermaid

All the new girls were excited to rank for the first time (and confused as well). I think there was some tent talk already going on but not much. I think a lot of girls genuinely had no idea which were the "good" sororities which I thought was great! I really wasn't sure what I was going to wear the next day so that was on my mind as well.
I'm curious, what did you do/perceive this year that was different from last year in terms of keeping an open mind? You still seem to have tiers in your mind.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-16-2014, 06:08 PM
OneandDone OneandDone is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Please.
I'm turning blue now.
What does that mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
I'm curious, what did you do/perceive this year that was different from last year in terms of keeping an open mind? You still seem to have tiers in your mind.
I am more open minded, I am just putting the tiers for extra info. If you guys don't think this is necessary/harms the story/is unwanted information, I will edit it and no longer mention it!

I based all my opinions on how I felt at the parties and a little on the people I knew closely in the sorority (not some random girls in classes or a sorority girl who I knew of but never talked to.)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-16-2014, 06:24 PM
Alpha O Alpha O is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneandDone View Post
What does that mean?
She's referring to holding her breath aka waiting impatiently for an update.
__________________
Alpha Omicron Pi
Friends as the years go by
Loving sisters are we
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Fall 2011 Fairytale Recruitment Story! whatsmyname Recruitment Stories 19 08-07-2011 11:56 PM
Recruitment: An Unfinished Fairytale. alexandra92 Recruitment Stories 22 03-18-2011 06:36 PM
Fairytale Dreams ZetaXiDelta Community Service / Philanthropy 0 11-08-2007 07:14 AM
Books in 2006: Princess Briana Fairytale CrimsonTide4 Delta Sigma Theta 42 12-10-2006 12:08 PM
Kingdom of Heaven Optimist Prime Entertainment 2 05-30-2005 08:55 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.