GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 984
0 members and 984 guests
No Members online

Old 08-14-2014, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

An "An-Retro" story

I've spent the past 24 hours amused by the Pink Sequin Panty Hose thread. I'm not a regular on GC, because since finding it in 2008, I only ever sign back in as the next fall semester is beginning. I don't have an interesting "retro" story to tell, but I have (this past year) begun to think about FUTURE recruitments.

What would this be? An "An-Retro" story? (Like aerobic vs Anaerobic?). Y'all that are good at the ole language arts stuff, help me with the proper grammar.

I'm a math ed professor. That means I teach folks how to teach math. And yes, here at Ole Miss, the majority of my students are future elementary school teachers. And the majority of my students are sorority girls. I like that they look at me and seemingly say, "Well, she was a sorority girl, and she turned out okay."

But earlier today, I was lamenting to a friend that I did not think I personally knew anyone going through rush/recruitment this year. She told me that was not the case.

Okdin ... so I am apparently not as old as I thought I was. I now know that I know twin girls going through rush/recruitment at Alabama this fall! Yay for me ... I am still in the loop, albeit just looking at that loop from the next state over.

I never gave it a thought ... in my younger days, not knowing anyone in rush/recruitment for all those years while my own daughters and the daughters of my friends and family were attending preschool, elementary school, middle school and high school. I began to become enthralled with rush/recruitment again as the daughters of my older friends and family slowly started matriculating. I cannot begin to tell you the thrill I felt when I received the first postcard from an "active" young GLO lady I personally knew ... asking for a donation, of course. (Her mama was the librarian at my daughters' elementary school.)

But as I turn this next corner and have to wait for the GRANDDAUGHTERS (my own, of which I don't have any ... yet ... and those of my friends ... of which there aren't many ... yet), to go through rush/recruitment, I've decided to quit dying my hair and become an, ahem, older alum.

I'm in my fourth month, and I am glad to say that I don't have as much gray hair as I thought I was covering for. Whew. Who would have seen that coming.

How does everyone else handle "An-Retro" rush/recruitment?

Last edited by Loyally Kappa; 08-14-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

sounds interesting!
Old 08-15-2014, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry but I'm confused. Honestly, I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I'm really not getting what you wrote. Are you going to make up a story about the future? Or are you asking about how to stop coloring your hair? Or how to wait for grandchildren to go through recruitment?

And there is a little element of deja vu, so I'll just wait to read your response. Thanks in advance for explaining.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-15-2014, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

My interpretation is that it would be a creative writing assignment to predict what Recruitment would look like 20 years from now?

ie; "I strapped on my jet-pack and flew over to the Student Center to meet my Rho Chi..."

Old 08-15-2014, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Sorry but I'm confused. Honestly, I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I'm really not getting what you wrote. Are you going to make up a story about the future? Or are you asking about how to stop coloring your hair? Or how to wait for grandchildren to go through recruitment?

And there is a little element of deja vu, so I'll just wait to read your response. Thanks in advance for explaining.
Quit being so cranky AZTheta! Love you dearheart, but please remember put some sugar in your tea this morning?
Old 08-15-2014, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Quit being so cranky AZTheta! Love you dearheart, but please remember put some sugar in your tea this morning?
I'm with AZTheta... I'm also confused.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-15-2014, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

^^^ I'm with AZTheta and ASTalumna06^^^

and I also think I might be offended by:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyally Kappa View Post
I'm a math ed professor. That means I teach folks how to teach math. And yes, here at Ole Miss, the majority of my students are future elementary school teachers.
Why "here at Ole Miss"??-- Do you mean that at other Universities the education programs don't consist of mainly elementary school teachers?? It was my understanding that at most schools elementary school education was the majority of the ED major-- that upper level teachers actually majored in a specific subject to teach and then took the EDU courses to become certified… This to me comes off as very condescending to Ole Miss and elementary school majors….

I apologize if I am reading way more into this than need be-- as I AM feeling very hostile today but at the same time this thread has left me very confused
Old 08-15-2014, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Clearly we are already for the Five o'clock on Friday Festivities.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ YES PLEASE MP!!! YES!!! ^^ :-) Mine might need to start before 5--
Old 08-15-2014, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You know me so well. I'm out of coffee AND creamer. And I overslept and missed 7 am swimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I'm with AZTheta... I'm also confused.
Phew. So it isn't just me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOleMiss View Post
^^^ I'm with AZTheta and ASTalumna06^^^
(edit)
I apologize if I am reading way more into this than need be-- as I AM feeling very hostile today but at the same time this thread has left me very confused
That's three of us.

Quote:
Clearly we are already for the Five o'clock on Friday Festivities.
It's 5:00 somewhere. You hosting?

ETA: I thought I was being nice. I was trying.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-15-2014, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Virtual Bloody Marys with pickled okra on the vitual veranda in 20. Jeeves will be serving.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Okra? you DO hate me.

Okay I'll stop now that I've completely derailed this thread.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll bring the Zing Zang and the celery sticks.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOleMiss View Post
Why "here at Ole Miss"??-- Do you mean that at other Universities the education programs don't consist of mainly elementary school teachers?? It was my understanding that at most schools elementary school education was the majority of the ED major-- that upper level teachers actually majored in a specific subject to teach and then took the EDU courses to become certified… This to me comes off as very condescending to Ole Miss and elementary school majors….
I've heard of different structures in different states...all have elements of their subject area and elements of education, but perhaps in differing amounts. For example, many elementary education teachers in Chicago come through TFA or similar programs and had zero education classes in college.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't get me started on Teach for America.