GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,135
Threads: 114,208
Posts: 2,151,494
Welcome to our newest member, svdfghfjhgj
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-07-2014, 10:21 PM
southernbell14 southernbell14 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Talking Formal Recruitment Questions.

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Greek Chat, so I apologize if I posted on the wrong form. But I am sure I am posting on the right one. I am obviously going to be rushing at my school in a few weeks, and had a few questions.

1. I was home schooled during high school, would It still be acceptable? I was a national figure skater, so most of my time during was spent training and then during my junior year, I retired to finish my all-star cheerleading seasons . I have a high GPA and a few honors and AP classes from an accredited online school, the only difference is I did not have school to write down when signing up for recruitment or to give to the people writing recommendation letters for me.

2. I have all my recommendations, up to two for each house, except for one house. I have tried getting the last house, but failed. Should I still keep trying or will It be ok leaving one house out? (the deadline is next week).

3. When signing up for recruitment, they asked me to send my test score or I did not have to and they would just use my GPA and transcript on file, my that is on file a 3.7, while I did well on my online classes. My SAT/ACT test score was just ok, if it is a choice should I just use my GPA, instead of my test score or should I send it anyway? I am fine sending with sending it, but if it is an option I will just let them use my GPA.

4. My sister (who does not have a greek chat) is going to Western Kentucky University, she is wondering if it is very competitive? My friend goes their and told me it was not for being in the south, that the recruitment process was a lot more casual, and there GPA requirement is lower (2.5 and she has a 3.4)

5. I just turned 19 and am going to be a first time freshman, would it be to old? I was held back in 1st grade..

6. How should my hair be? It looks nice flat ironed, but it also looks very flat unless I hot roll it or blow dry it out, or should I hot roll it and brush it out with it being a little wavy? Personally that is my best look, but what would work better.

I am very excited for recruitment, I feel it would be good for me, since aging out of cheer I missed being apart of something, with girls who where like me. The only have close to that for now are pageants, hopefully in a few weeks, if everything works out I will find my home away from home! Thank you for your help, and sorry for all the questions!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-07-2014, 10:53 PM
Titchou Titchou is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,913
1. Of course. You have a diploma from an accredited institution (state law equires that) so of course it's OK.

2. Not knowing the campus, I can't say. But if you don't have it, you just don't have it.

3. Just use your GPA. Most sororities don't look at SAT/ACTs anyway.

4. I would say it's semi competitive at WKU but not like SEC schools.

5. No. Many are 19.

6. Your hair should be like you usually wear it. Be your natural self!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-07-2014, 10:54 PM
KSUViolet06 KSUViolet06 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbell14 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am new to Greek Chat, so I apologize if I posted on the wrong form. But I am sure I am posting on the right one. I am obviously going to be rushing at my school in a few weeks, and had a few questions.

1. I was home schooled during high school, would It still be acceptable? I was a national figure skater, so most of my time during was spent training and then during my junior year, I retired to finish my all-star cheerleading seasons . I have a high GPA and a few honors and AP classes from an accredited online school, the only difference is I did not have school to write down when signing up for recruitment or to give to the people writing recommendation letters for me.

2. I have all my recommendations, up to two for each house, except for one house. I have tried getting the last house, but failed. Should I still keep trying or will It be ok leaving one house out? (the deadline is next week).

3. When signing up for recruitment, they asked me to send my test score or I did not have to and they would just use my GPA and transcript on file, my that is on file a 3.7, while I did well on my online classes. My SAT/ACT test score was just ok, if it is a choice should I just use my GPA, instead of my test score or should I send it anyway? I am fine sending with sending it, but if it is an option I will just let them use my GPA.

4. My sister (who does not have a greek chat) is going to Western Kentucky University, she is wondering if it is very competitive? My friend goes their and told me it was not for being in the south, that the recruitment process was a lot more casual, and there GPA requirement is lower (2.5 and she has a 3.4)

5. I just turned 19 and am going to be a first time freshman, would it be to old? I was held back in 1st grade..

6. How should my hair be? It looks nice flat ironed, but it also looks very flat unless I hot roll it or blow dry it out, or should I hot roll it and brush it out with it being a little wavy? Personally that is my best look, but what would work better.

I am very excited for recruitment, I feel it would be good for me, since aging out of cheer I missed being apart of something, with girls who where like me. The only have close to that for now are pageants, hopefully in a few weeks, if everything works out I will find my home away from home! Thank you for your help, and sorry for all the questions!
1. I doubt that being homeschooled is that big of an issue as it is commonplace to see homeschooled kids attending college.

2. Do the best you can to get that last rec.

3. Most chapters have a required minimum GPA rather than a required ACT score, so I tend to think that the GPA would be best to include, if it's an "either or" thing.

4. It is not on my radar as a fiercely competitive school.

5. This would depend on the school.

6. Do your hair in a way that makes you feel like you look your best. Also, recruitment week is not the time for a hair experiment. Go with what tends to work for you. Keep in mind your hair type and the projected weather for the week. Ex: If you have curly hair, and there is a 90% chance for rain, you may not want to spend all morning with the straightener because it's just going to go POOF when you walk outside.
__________________
"Remember that apathy has no place in our Sorority." - Kelly Jo Karnes, Pi

Lakers Nation.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-07-2014, 10:55 PM
pinksequins pinksequins is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 824
Southernbell, I want to jump in before others do on academics. The writing displayed in your post suggests that college may be a bigger transition for you than you anticipate. Your English and grammar skills appear to be far from what will be expected at the college level. This means that you may need to focus a bit more on studies than you might anticipate in lieu of demanding extracurricular activities. Do give the matter a bit of thought. That said, you may still wish to go through recruitment, and freshman year (particularly at Southern schools) is optimal for opportunities to join. I'll leave the specific questions to other GCers.

Last edited by pinksequins; 08-07-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-07-2014, 11:41 PM
thetalady's Avatar
thetalady thetalady is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Big D
Posts: 2,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbell14 View Post

3. When signing up for recruitment, they asked me to send my test score or I did not have to and they would just use my GPA and transcript on file, my that is on file a 3.7, while I did well on my online classes. My SAT/ACT test score was just ok, if it is a choice should I just use my GPA, instead of my test score or should I send it anyway? I am fine sending with sending it, but if it is an option I will just let them use my GPA.
First, quite a lot of people are home schooled now. This is not particularly new for chapters to deal with. It DOES mean that your ACT/ SAT scores are probably MORE important than for traditionally schooled young woman. Since it is impossible to really compare your education with other PNMs, chapters may have to rely on your ACT/ SAT scores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbell14 View Post
5. I just turned 19 and am going to be a first time freshman, would it be to old? I was held back in 1st grade..
Many, many college freshmen are 19. Why would you think this was too old?

I cannot agree more strongly with the advice and comments made by Pinksequins. She stated exactly what I was thinking while reading your post. Going into a traditional educational experience from being home schooled is going to be an enormous transition for you. Don't underestimate this change. Taking on the obligations of sorority membership might be more than you realize.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-08-2014, 12:46 AM
DeltaBetaBaby DeltaBetaBaby is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ILL-INI
Posts: 7,176
Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post

I cannot agree more strongly with the advice and comments made by Pinksequins. She stated exactly what I was thinking while reading your post. Going into a traditional educational experience from being home schooled is going to be an enormous transition for you. Don't underestimate this change. Taking on the obligations of sorority membership might be more than you realize.
Yes, but the flip side is that it could provide structure that would benefit someone making the transition.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-08-2014, 01:16 AM
southernbell14 southernbell14 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
Southernbell, I want to jump in before others do on academics. The writing displayed in your post suggests that college may be a bigger transition for you than you anticipate. Your English and grammar skills appear to be far from what will be expected at the college level. This means that you may need to focus a bit more on studies than you might anticipate in lieu of demanding extracurricular activities. Do give the matter a bit of thought. That said, you may still wish to go through recruitment, and freshman year (particularly at Southern schools) is optimal for opportunities to join. I'll leave the specific questions to other GCers.
I did not write this, because I donít want to seem like I am bragging. While in middle school and high school. I was an All Star cheerleader, national figure skater, state and national pageant queen, volunteer to many local charities in my town, going to school dances and football games with my friends at their school and then doing well in school. I was apart of an online school, so I was just like everyone else, just no classroom and no one else. I also took two college classes at a community college, where I did pass with a 3.5. I understand college will be harder, I already had a taste of it, I also understand the obligations of the sorority. But like DeltaBetaBaby said, it will provide structure. I need a group of girlfriends again, and to be apart of something greater then my self. So hopefully I will have the privilege of being apart of a sorority.

I would have waited for spring recruitment, but my school only has fall recruitment. Thank you for your advice it was very helpful, and I will watch my grammar, just sometimes when I am not writing anything that will be graded I am lazy about it, it is a bad habit! lol. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-08-2014, 01:19 AM
southernbell14 southernbell14 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Thank you everyone, all the advice was great. I really appreciate it! I know some of my questions sounded silly, but its better to know then to not and worry. Thank you!

Last edited by southernbell14; 08-08-2014 at 01:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-08-2014, 01:28 AM
wsucalsigmakapp wsucalsigmakapp is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 134
I just wanted to add to this post by wishing you luck! Greek life is an amazing experience, but please keep in mind that joining ANY organization is an honor. Keep an open mind, and you should do well! Have fun and please let us know how things turn out!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-08-2014, 01:37 AM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 5,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbell14 View Post
I did not write this, because I don’t want to seem like I am bragging. While in middle school and high school. I was an All Star cheerleader, national figure skater, state and national pageant queen, volunteer to many local charities in my town, going to school dances and football games with my friends at their school and then doing well in school. I was apart of an online school, so I was just like everyone else, just no classroom and no one else. I also took two college classes at a community college, where I did pass with a 3.5. I understand college will be harder, I already had a taste of it, I also understand the obligations of the sorority. But like DeltaBetaBaby said, it will provide structure. I need a group of girlfriends again, and to be apart of something greater then my self. So hopefully I will have the privilege of being apart of a sorority.

I would have waited for spring recruitment, but my school only has fall recruitment. Thank you for your advice it was very helpful, and I will watch my grammar, just sometimes when I am not writing anything that will be graded I am lazy about it, it is a bad habit! lol. Thank you!
"A part". Two words. To say that you're "apart" from something means that you're separated from it. To be "a part of" is to be included as a piece of a whole (i.e. to be a member of a group or organization).

Sorry! It's a pet peeve of mine, and of many other posters here!

Good luck!
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-08-2014, 08:16 PM
catiebug's Avatar
catiebug catiebug is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: yankeeheathenland
Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbell14 View Post
I did not write this, because I donít want to seem like I am bragging. While in middle school and high school. I was an All Star cheerleader, national figure skater, state and national pageant queen, volunteer to many local charities in my town, going to school dances and football games with my friends at their school and then doing well in school.
My advice: Don't wear an all-pink outfit with pink hose that have pink rhinestones/sequins going up the back. That never works out well.
__________________
ΓΦΒ
Love. Labor. Learning. Loyalty.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-08-2014, 08:21 PM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,129
^^^
__________________
"Yo ho, yo ho, over the raging seas we go! Yo ho ho ho, wherever the four winds blow!
HEY!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-09-2014, 07:15 PM
ree-Xi ree-Xi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: State of Imagination
Posts: 3,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbell14 View Post
I would have waited for spring recruitment, but my school only has fall recruitment. Thank you for your advice it was very helpful, and I will watch my grammar, just sometimes when I am not writing anything that will be graded I am lazy about it, it is a bad habit! lol. Thank you!
I frequently read this argument here on GC. The point is that you should be able to communicate effectively, even in informal situations. I think I figured out what you meant in the following sentence, but it shouldn't take someone reading it 3 or 4 times to understand your point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbell14 View Post
When signing up for recruitment, they asked me to send my test score or I did not have to and they would just use my GPA and transcript on file, my that is on file a 3.7, while I did well on my online classes.[/I]
Good luck to you.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-10-2014, 02:36 PM
southernbell14 southernbell14 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
"A part". Two words. To say that you're "apart" from something means that you're separated from it. To be "a part of" is to be included as a piece of a whole (i.e. to be a member of a group or organization).

Sorry! It's a pet peeve of mine, and of many other posters here!

Good luck!

Thank you, I have been working on my grammar over the last few weeks. Its still not the best, but I know it will get better with time. It is fine when people correct me, it just reminds me what I still need to fix!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-10-2014, 02:45 PM
southernbell14 southernbell14 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsucalsigmakapp View Post
I just wanted to add to this post by wishing you luck! Greek life is an amazing experience, but please keep in mind that joining ANY organization is an honor. Keep an open mind, and you should do well! Have fun and please let us know how things turn out!
Thank you, I am very excited. Many of my family members where in a sorority or fraternity, except my parents. I have so much support from them, and from people I do not even know. Hopefully this will be a great experience for me, I heard so many good things from family and friends, I can’t wait to experience it for my self!

I will keep and open mind, all I want is to join a house that I feel connected too and the sisters. A few of my family members have already tried to lean me to join their house. While I understand they are just as excited to see me rush, I know my home is waiting for me I just have to find it! Rush is next week and bid day is sunday the 24th, hopefully I will have the honor of being able have the chance to become apart of a sorority, so I will keep everyone posted!

Last edited by southernbell14; 08-10-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about Formal Recruitment (in general and) at the University of Washington tngirl01 Recruitment 7 08-07-2012 06:19 PM
Formal Recruitment Questions ASTalumna06 Sorority Recruitment 22 09-22-2008 01:45 PM
formal recruitment frustration/PR questions pinklion10 Sorority Recruitment 15 02-20-2008 01:38 PM
Questions you should ask during Formal Recruitment sweetgurl0615 Sorority Recruitment 1 01-10-2008 06:46 PM
Some questions about Formal Meeting iMAX386 Lambda Chi Alpha 7 11-10-2006 05:50 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.