GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 297,114
Threads: 114,115
Posts: 2,150,332
Welcome to our newest member, ygnksair
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-13-2014, 05:27 PM
owlette19 owlette19 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5
AI Question

Hi everyone,
So I'm posting here because I'm specifically wondering how AI works for Kappa. I'm looking into it, and I've been able to find info about it for most other organizations, but all the info I've found for Kappa is old, so I don't know how accurate it is. I'm hoping to start grad school in the fall, so that's another avenue I'm looking to explore.
Anyway, thanks for any help you can offer, I appreciate any info.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-13-2014, 05:51 PM
pinksequins pinksequins is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 822
Please keep in mind that for many NPC groups, the group approaches you, not you approaching it. If you read the threads, it is an honor bestowed rather than a second bite at the proverbial apple. It may not be your intention, but your post (absent further information) comes across a bit like windowshopping at the mall after payday.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-13-2014, 05:52 PM
sigmagirl2000 sigmagirl2000 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 966
Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
You probably won't get many answers about AI here. Especially for one specific group. AI generally isn't something sought out. Most (not all, but the vast majority) alumnae initiates have very strong ties to a group previously and are approached about AI rather than the interested party approaching the organization.

Good Luck
__________________
ΣΚ one heart one way


::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-13-2014, 08:04 PM
thetalady's Avatar
thetalady thetalady is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Big D
Posts: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlette19 View Post
Hi everyone,
So I'm posting here because I'm specifically wondering how AI works for Kappa. I'm looking into it, and I've been able to find info about it for most other organizations, but all the info I've found for Kappa is old, so I don't know how accurate it is. I'm hoping to start grad school in the fall, so that's another avenue I'm looking to explore.
Anyway, thanks for any help you can offer, I appreciate any info.
Why do you want to AI with any sorority?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-13-2014, 08:15 PM
amIblue? amIblue? is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Shackled to my desk
Posts: 2,869
Kappa does not offer AI, but thanks for appropriating one of our symbols for your user name.
__________________
Actually, amIblue? is a troublemaker. Go pick on her. --AZTheta
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-13-2014, 08:43 PM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlette19 View Post
Hi everyone,
So I'm posting here because I'm specifically wondering how AI works for Kappa. I'm looking into it, and I've been able to find info about it for most other organizations, but all the info I've found for Kappa is old, so I don't know how accurate it is. I'm hoping to start grad school in the fall, so that's another avenue I'm looking to explore.
Anyway, thanks for any help you can offer, I appreciate any info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Kappa does not offer AI, but thanks for appropriating one of our symbols for your user name.
Hm, interesting. Did Kappa used to offer AI?
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-13-2014, 08:55 PM
amIblue? amIblue? is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Shackled to my desk
Posts: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Hm, interesting. Did Kappa used to offer AI?
Not to my knowledge, which only dates a couple of decades. Although we will initiate alumnae of locals that are absorbed as colonies. It's a very contentious issue for many of my sisters both pro and con. I see both sides of the issue, so I keep my mouth shut in general when it's being discussed. Also, we can pledge graduate students, but I don't think I've ever heard of a grad student pledging.

So, I guess my answer should have been more thorough, but if you don't fall into one of those categories, you are out of luck. I just got irritated by the OP's user name.
__________________
Actually, amIblue? is a troublemaker. Go pick on her. --AZTheta

Last edited by amIblue?; 02-13-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-13-2014, 09:21 PM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Not to my knowledge, which only dates a couple of decades. Although we will initiate alumnae of locals that are absorbed as colonies. It's a very contentious issue for many of my sisters both pro and con. I see both sides of the issue, so I keep my mouth shut in general when it's being discussed. Also, we can pledge graduate students, but I don't think I've ever heard of a grad student pledging.

So, I guess my answer should have been more thorough, but if you don't fall into one of those categories, you are out of luck. I just got irritated by the OP's user name.
Oh, I completely understand. I'm just curious as to what "research" the OP has done, because it seems to me she "found" info that essentially doesn't exist. Either that, or she misinterpreted information regarding what you've described above.
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-13-2014, 10:45 PM
DeltaBetaBaby DeltaBetaBaby is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ILL-INI
Posts: 7,176
Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Oh, I completely understand. I'm just curious as to what "research" the OP has done, because it seems to me she "found" info that essentially doesn't exist. Either that, or she misinterpreted information regarding what you've described above.
It could be that she found info saying Kappa doesn't do it, and is hoping that has changed.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-14-2014, 12:58 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
It could be that she found info saying Kappa doesn't do it, and is hoping that has changed.
Most likely. From the time we started discussing AI on here - heck, it might have even been in the GreekSource days - it's been asserted that except for alums of a colonized local, Kappa does not do it, point blank period.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-14-2014, 01:03 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Not to my knowledge, which only dates a couple of decades. Although we will initiate alumnae of locals that are absorbed as colonies.
If this isn't too nebby - will you guys initiate, say, the founding sisters of a 10 year old local that became a chapter? Or is it just the girls who are collegiate members at the time that can be initiated?
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-14-2014, 06:01 AM
amIblue? amIblue? is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Shackled to my desk
Posts: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If this isn't too nebby - will you guys initiate, say, the founding sisters of a 10 year old local that became a chapter? Or is it just the girls who are collegiate members at the time that can be initiated?
I think it's any alumnae of a local; it doesn't matter how long ago they were involved. I know we have an advisor at a chapter that we chartered from a local in the early/mid 90s. She was active with the local in the 70s and initiated when we chartered.
__________________
Actually, amIblue? is a troublemaker. Go pick on her. --AZTheta
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-14-2014, 11:48 AM
OPhiAGinger OPhiAGinger is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 418
So, the only way for her to realize her dream of AI'ing into Kappa is to
  1. Start a local sorority at her graduate school campus;
  2. Hope that her grad school campus opens for extension some day;
  3. Hope that Kappa decides to present there and gets selected to colonize;
  4. Hope that Kappa decides to absorb the local rather than starting a new colony from scratch.

That's a lot of wishin' and hopin'.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-14-2014, 11:55 AM
OPhiAGinger OPhiAGinger is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 418
So, the only way for her to realize her dream of AI'ing into Kappa is to
  1. Start a local sorority at her graduate school campus;
  2. Hope that her grad school campus opens for extension some day;
  3. Hope that Kappa decides to present there and gets selected to colonize;
  4. Hope that Kappa decides to absorb the local rather than starting a new colony from scratch.

That's a lot of wishin' and hopin'.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-14-2014, 01:49 PM
amIblue? amIblue? is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Shackled to my desk
Posts: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPhiAGinger View Post
So, the only way for her to realize her dream of AI'ing into Kappa is to
  1. Start a local sorority at her graduate school campus;
  2. Hope that her grad school campus opens for extension some day;
  3. Hope that Kappa decides to present there and gets selected to colonize;
  4. Hope that Kappa decides to absorb the local rather than starting a new colony from scratch.

That's a lot of wishin' and hopin'.
Unless there is a chapter at her grad school that also happens to be willing to pledge a grad student. We can pledge grad students; I've just never heard of it actually happening.
__________________
Actually, amIblue? is a troublemaker. Go pick on her. --AZTheta
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LeGaCy QuEsTiOn... I will love you forever if you can answer my question! HeRmIoNeGrAnGeR Recruitment 21 03-21-2015 07:22 PM
Ask a question - any question about Rushing at an SEC school! Gatorbaby Sorority Recruitment 4 07-14-2011 09:45 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.