GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 299,943
Threads: 114,201
Posts: 2,151,437
Welcome to our newest member, assssdiyr
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Signed up user Signed up user is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 24
Come on now, everyone knows what some of the female users were doing was not giving advice. Being 26 and having lots of social experience I know how gender relations work. A lot of these female users were probably in sororities back in their college days and were at their peak. Then graduation came and they had to move on to the real world which can be one cold place. They long for those days when they were in a sorority and at their peak but those days will never come for them because they are long past their prime. As a result of all that they see a guy like me who through very unfortunate circumstances (poverty, strict parenting, etc.) wants to have a chance at being in a fraternity and it destroys them on the inside for someone to try and find happiness in that scene.

I didn't want to go there but I had to, this isn't about giving another perspective a try. This is a thread about fraternities and yes ideally I would like to hear from guys in a fraternity and not females who are likely away from their sorority days.

Nothing is going to stop me from trying, I do know that 26 isn't that old and I have no issues being around 18-22 year old guys because I can relate to them. Most guys my age are settling down and having families, they don't like the idea of drinking and partying. I never had a chance to enjoy that, ever, so that is one of the reasons I want to be in a fraternity along with others such as belonging to a brotherhood of like minded men who just want to enjoy life.

IN b4 female user tries to get the last word and is still in denial about the fact that she is well past her prime.
  #32  
Old 05-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Signed up user Signed up user is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
It has nothing to do with morals. I couldn't care less about your morals. I also don't care if you rush or pledge. I offered no advice and really wasn't even speaking to you. I was poking fun at the concept of old guy pledging a fraternity. Because it's funny. That's why Old School had the old guy Blue as a pledge in the script. Because it's funny.

If you are seeking membership in NPHC/MCGLO/LGLO/AGLO as DrPhil mentioned, then I believe that's a different story and not funny.
then why are you even on this thread if you aren't offering advice?
  #33  
Old 05-14-2014, 01:14 PM
thetalady's Avatar
thetalady thetalady is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Big D
Posts: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signed up user View Post
then why are you even on this thread if you aren't offering advice?
Because the entertainment value is rising and some of us are bored
  #34  
Old 05-14-2014, 01:17 PM
thetalady's Avatar
thetalady thetalady is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Big D
Posts: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signed up user View Post
Come on now, everyone knows what some of the female users were doing was not giving advice. Being 26 and having lots of social experience I know how gender relations work. A lot of these female users were probably in sororities back in their college days and were at their peak. Then graduation came and they had to move on to the real world which can be one cold place. They long for those days when they were in a sorority and at their peak but those days will never come for them because they are long past their prime. As a result of all that they see a guy like me who through very unfortunate circumstances (poverty, strict parenting, etc.) wants to have a chance at being in a fraternity and it destroys them on the inside for someone to try and find happiness in that scene.

I didn't want to go there but I had to, this isn't about giving another perspective a try. This is a thread about fraternities and yes ideally I would like to hear from guys in a fraternity and not females who are likely away from their sorority days.

Nothing is going to stop me from trying, I do know that 26 isn't that old and I have no issues being around 18-22 year old guys because I can relate to them. Most guys my age are settling down and having families, they don't like the idea of drinking and partying. I never had a chance to enjoy that, ever, so that is one of the reasons I want to be in a fraternity along with others such as belonging to a brotherhood of like minded men who just want to enjoy life.

IN b4 female user tries to get the last word and is still in denial about the fact that she is well past her prime.
QFP... just priceless.
  #35  
Old 05-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Sciencewoman's Avatar
Sciencewoman Sciencewoman is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,809
Signed_up_user, most of the alumnae who participate in Greek Chat are involved in supporting collegiate chapters as advisors, during recruitment, etc. They have current knowledge of how things work. Therefore, I would not discount the advice you've been given, even though it some of it may be contrary to what you're hoping to hear.

Greek membership is for life, and alumnae support is crucial in sustaining these organizations and supporting the current collegiate membership.
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
  #36  
Old 05-14-2014, 01:29 PM
elicampbell elicampbell is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signed up user View Post

Nothing is going to stop me from trying, I do know that 26 isn't that old and I have no issues being around 18-22 year old guys because I can relate to them. Most guys my age are settling down and having families, they don't like the idea of drinking and partying. I never had a chance to enjoy that, ever, so that is one of the reasons I want to be in a fraternity along with others such as belonging to a brotherhood of like minded men who just want to enjoy life.
I'll bite - Do you think that the active members who are 18-22 can relate to you? They will be the one offering you a bid to join. If you come across as a douche canoe in Rush, you will not need to worry about membership.
  #37  
Old 05-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Signed up user Signed up user is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 24
Do fraternity guys just not get on the fraternity section? I would like to hear directly from them and not sorority girls who are well past their prime and have likely graduated college.
  #38  
Old 05-14-2014, 01:43 PM
DeltaBetaBaby DeltaBetaBaby is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ILL-INI
Posts: 7,176
Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by elicampbell View Post
I'll bite - Do you think that the active members who are 18-22 can relate to you? They will be the one offering you a bid to join. If you come across as a douche canoe in Rush, you will not need to worry about membership.
A lot of active fraternity men are misogynists, so it looks like the OP will have that in common with them.
  #39  
Old 05-14-2014, 01:49 PM
SydneyK SydneyK is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,932
^^Holy hasty generalization, Batman!
__________________
Never let the facts stand in the way of a good answer. -Tom Magliozzi
  #40  
Old 05-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Signed up user Signed up user is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
A lot of active fraternity men are misogynists, so it looks like the OP will have that in common with them.
Being a misogynist means I think of women as less than men which I really don't. I just believe that in this particular situation the given female users who have been trying to actively stop me from being a part of Greek Life and enjoy some social experiences that way happen to fall into a certain group of females. Just like I feel that there are certain kinds of males who were probably anti-social growing up and made no effort to better their social lives. Instead of trying to do what is best for them they try to sabotage others, I look down on those males but that doesn't mean I hate all males.

Read my statements carefully, I never said I think less of all women or even implied it. I singled out a certain category of women but that is because those female users were actively trying to stop me rather than give me advice.
  #41  
Old 05-14-2014, 02:01 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,354
You got several good responses FROM MEN telling you what to expect in rush. You got one response from a woman who I do agree was being a little moralistic. Instead of just saying "I realize the age difference could be an issue and I have no interest in 18 year old girls" you got a bit oinky about it.

No one is going to say what will happen because we don't know that for any rushee.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
  #42  
Old 05-14-2014, 02:16 PM
amIblue? amIblue? is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Shackled to my desk
Posts: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signed up user View Post
then why are you even on this thread if you aren't offering advice?
I told you why...because I'M MAKING FUN OF YOU and your old ass. There is no general GC requirement to offer advice to any poster.

Signed,

A past her prime sorority alumna who has no interest in any 26 year old man.
__________________
Actually, amIblue? is a troublemaker. Go pick on her. --AZTheta
  #43  
Old 05-14-2014, 02:24 PM
DrPhil DrPhil is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,505
The OP needs to ask himself why he is still SERIOUSLY (not jokingly) responding to this thread. He already said nothing is going to stop him from trying membership in particular types of fraternities. Therefore, stop going back and forth with people who have long accomplished what you are still striving to accomplish--collegiate GLO membership and post-graduate GLO involvement. Move on from this thread and see whether you can join a fraternity. Good luck.
  #44  
Old 05-14-2014, 02:27 PM
Signed up user Signed up user is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I told you why...because I'M MAKING FUN OF YOU and your old ass. There is no general GC requirement to offer advice to any poster.

Signed,

A past her prime sorority alumna who has no interest in any 26 year old man.
What a classy lady, it's alright, my "old ass" still has a ton of options and sorority girls past their prime are not on that list. Go worry about your biological clock which is ticking while I worry about rushing alright?
  #45  
Old 05-14-2014, 02:30 PM
Signed up user Signed up user is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 24
With that said, I just want to re-state my main interest in joining a fraternity is because I want to be a part of a brotherhood where guys enjoy being young guys that love partying, and drinking. 26 is not really that old for guys in my experience but I understand it is older than what these guys would expect.

A simple statement saying it might be an issue with some of the brothers would have sufficed and I knew that before posting the thread. What I wanted to get was whether it was possible but then the old ladies who probably have 5+++ cats by no persistently tried to talk me out of it and call me names. There is something to be said about women who are long past their prime but still long for those days being very judgmental and trying to make everyone's lives miserable. I tried to ignore them and even reason with them, just check the first half of the thread, but they left me no choice.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
College Degree(s) ADPiAkron Alpha Delta Pi 36 07-27-2004 05:54 PM
Fraternity rushing question - Need your Advice SiKeS Recruitment 3 11-30-2003 08:47 PM
Joining a fraternity after college, even if you join a GLO in college XO_Princess Greek Life 18 02-05-2002 02:16 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.