GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 319,125
Threads: 114,995
Welcome to our newest member, aadamascavs692
» Online Users: 251
5 members and 246 guests
Cookiez17, qetzquin, rmonclermc10071

Old 01-17-2002, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Inaccurate "Famous" Fraternity Members

How do you feel about Fraternities and Sororities "making up" famous members to make their organization look good.

I have seen alot of "Suspect" members.

For instance...lets be real...

Fredrick Douglass is NOT an ALPHA...he was dead WELL before 1906

Paul Lawrence Dunbar was NOT a Que
he also died well before 1911

Quincy Jones is NOT an ALPHA or a Que

George Washington Carver is NOT a Sigma

etc.

And why do our organizations make honorary members? I know many will disagree but that practice seems rediculous to me. There are plently of influential members who CHOSE our organizations and went on to do great things...why are we "handing out" memberships to other accomplished black people. They sould have to SEEK OUT the letters like everyone else....Let me know what you think
Old 01-17-2002, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Made up Famous members

Alpha Phi Alpha as NUMEROUS Famous members who all CHOSE Alpha on their own accord. We have NO need whatsoever to make people up.

Of course Fredrick Douglass is not an Alpha. Everyone knows you can't make someone a member without them accepting or declining. But his writings influenced the founding of Alpha and we hold him in high regard.

I don't remember anyone ever claiming Quincy Jones to be an Alpha...where did you here that one. I don't think he is in any Greek Org.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to DOVE1920 Send a message via Yahoo to DOVE1920
Smile Why lie?

Well it seems that the purpose of having honorary members is to bring exposure to the organization. It also allows for people who didn't attend colleges or universities the oppurtunity to belong to our organizations. (Although Zeta has an auxillary for women who aren't college graduates). But yes I do have a problem with people making up members. I think its sad and stupid. Some people will just go with misinformation instead of calling IHQ to hear the truth.

FYI Bro. Carver is a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity. check the website: www.pbs1914.org
Old 01-17-2002, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Inaccurate "Famous" Fraternity Members

Quote:
Originally posted by IvyDeviness
How do you feel about Fraternities and Sororities "making up" famous members to make their organization look good.

Fredrick Douglass is NOT an ALPHA...he was dead WELL before 1906

George Washington Carver is NOT a Sigma

etc.

And why do our organizations make honorary members? I know many will disagree but that practice seems rediculous to me. There are plently of influential members who CHOSE our organizations and went on to do great things...why are we "handing out" memberships to other accomplished black people. They sould have to SEEK OUT the letters like everyone else....Let me know what you think
With all due respect not all things are as obvious as the seem:

ie Fredrick Douglass has a special connection to Alpha even though he died before it's founding.(Look on our national website he is listed as a brother)

Alpha no longer makes honorary members period...........

ps How do you know Quincy Jones is not affiliated?(just curious)

Last edited by sphinxpoet; 01-17-2002 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

How can a DEAD MAN Pledge?

ie Fredrick Douglass has a special connection to Alpha even though he died before it's founding.(Look on our national website he is listed as a brother)

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers. But please explain to me how a DEAD man can pledge? (Fredrick Douglass).

What is to stop the Kappas, Ques, Sigmas, or Iotas from making Fredrick Douglass a member of their frat?

You don't see us saying Harriet Tubman or Nefertiti or Mary the Mother of Jesus is an AKA...that would be ludicrous.

Besides...how do you know he would accept being named an Alpha anyway. Many people in have a problem with secret organizations.

He was a great man...but come on...lets be for real....dead men CAN'T PLEDGE!

Also NO ALPHA has been able to answer:
what school/chapter did Quincy Jones get made at?
Old 01-17-2002, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: How can a DEAD MAN Pledge?

Quote:
I don't mean to ruffle any feathers. But please explain to me how a DEAD man can pledge? (Fredrick Douglass).

What is to stop the Kappas, Ques, Sigmas, or Iotas from making Fredrick Douglass a member of their frat?

You don't see us saying Harriet Tubman or Nefertiti or Mary the Mother of Jesus is an AKA...that would be ludicrous.

Besides...how do you know he would accept being named an Alpha anyway. Many people in have a problem with secret organizations.

'Scuse me, frat... but lemme see if I can make sense of this.

Soror, what sphinxpoet said was that Frederick Douglass had a connection to APhiA, not that he "pledged" or was an honorary member. Come by the AKA forum and introduce yourself.

Sisterly,
SD

Last edited by SweetestDiva; 01-17-2002 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Thank you soror! I did not think Quincy Jones was frat I just asked where they got that idea that he was? Secondly certain things are secret to Alpha. How Fredrick Douglass is recodnized as a brother is an Alpha Phi Alpha thing........I respect you questioning it but I must say that Alpha did not fall onto the planet on Dec. 4th 1906.............Many things happened before. I would not expect a soror to tell me all things about the secrets of Alpha Kappa Alpha....In my head I may say....."why is abc like this" but I realize that that is an Alpha Kappa Alpha secret that I am not privy to.........I respect the fact that you are challaging the norm that is an indication of a proactive mind and a strong woman.

Sphinxpoet
Old 01-18-2002, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool clarification

I feel you on the topic!

It's a good one; but let me try and clarify something. Frederick Douglas' connection with my frat is this: he was the uncle of one of our founders, and was sympathetic to the idea of an Afro-centered fraternity. You can find this out in a book entitled: "Henry Arthur Callis, His Life and Legacy."

I have never heard any brotha mention "Q" as an Alpha, Omega, or anything.

Brothers of Alpha Phi Alpha can find out easily if a man is a bruh. Our national files have been computerized for years.
Old 01-18-2002, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: clarification

Quote:
Originally posted by The Original Ape
I feel you on the topic!

It's a good one; but let me try and clarify something. Frederick Douglas' connection with my frat is this: he was the uncle of one of our founders, and was sympathetic to the idea of an Afro-centered fraternity. You can find this out in a book entitled: "Henry Arthur Callis, His Life and Legacy."

I have never heard any brotha mention "Q" as an Alpha, Omega, or anything.

Brothers of Alpha Phi Alpha can find out easily if a man is a bruh. Our national files have been computerized for years.
Besides we don't need to CLAIM anybody as long as we have ME
Old 01-18-2002, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Inaccurate "Famous" Fraternity Members

Quote:

Let me know what you think

No where is it ever listed that Paul Laurence Dunbar is a member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. Neither is Quincy Jones. He has never been mentioned as a member. Where did you get that? We have more than enough famous members than to be making some up.
Old 01-18-2002, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
she has a point

I have heard that each and every one of the men she listed was members of thses organizations, as well as things like Jasmine Guy being a Zeta.

Things like that are all over the internet, in fact if you look at chapter webpages every once in a while you will see this error made, although I THINK that I have mostly seen it claimed on listserv's, etc.
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 01-18-2002, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: she has a point

Quote:
Originally posted by lovelyivy84
I have heard that each and every one of the men she listed was members of thses organizations, as well as things like Jasmine Guy being a Zeta.

Things like that are all over the internet, in fact if you look at chapter webpages every once in a while you will see this error made, although I THINK that I have mostly seen it claimed on listserv's, etc.
And no one disagrees with that soror....a lot of people are said to belong to this Org and that Org. I went to a home page where it was said Jesse Jackson is a Sigma when I was an Intrerest! I was like WTF but you can rarely trust a list of prominant greeks unless it comes straight from the National Headquaters......If I had a dime for everytime someone said this person was this and this person was that and they were not I would have a couple of dollars right now!

Sphinxpoet
Old 01-19-2002, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
Re: Re: she has a point

Quote:
Originally posted by sphinxpoet

And no one disagrees with that soror....a lot of people are said to belong to this Org and that Org. I went to a home page where it was said Jesse Jackson is a Sigma when I was an Intrerest! I was like WTF but you can rarely trust a list of prominant greeks unless it comes straight from the National Headquaters......If I had a dime for everytime someone said this person was this and this person was that and they were not I would have a couple of dollars right now!

Sphinxpoet
LOL, too true! It seems like more often than not I hear about these famous "members" from over-enthusiastic interests who are going OUT of their way to make sure that everyone knows their choice and why their choice is the bestest choice ever, lol!
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 01-19-2002, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: she has a point

Quote:
Originally posted by lovelyivy84
although I THINK that I have mostly seen it claimed on listserv's, etc.
Over the years since I have become a Delta, I have been on a listserve and every so often you hear/read some of the MOST OUTLANDISH people suggested to be members of one of the 9.

Examples include but are not limited to
Sean "Puff Daddy" "P Diddy" Combs being either a Kappa or an Alpha
Tisha Campbell being an AKA
Whitney Houston being a DELTA
Old 01-21-2002, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool clarification echo

Don't hurt em OA!

And for the record, no one ever pledged Alpha to be in the company of famous people. ALL our bruhs are famous!