GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,286
Threads: 114,209
Posts: 2,151,523
Welcome to our newest member, baradattsa1612
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-22-2013, 11:43 AM
aceshigh1 aceshigh1 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4
Tips for getting into an exclusive Fraternity??

I am a freshman and will rush the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity in the winter. The fraternities at our school only have rush in the winter.

I have met quite a few guys already through my job which a TKE introduced me to a handful and numerous others recognize me from school.

About 80 rush this fraternity and only about 20 or 25 new members are offered a bid.

I have already met about 20 or 25 brothers out of 54 actives. I have had good conversations with just about all of them and I really connected with about 4 or 5 of them.

I know to be yourself, but what are some other tips to get into this fraternity? I heard trying to meet as many brothers possible and remembering their names is big, what else?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-22-2013, 11:59 AM
ComradesTrue ComradesTrue is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceshigh1 View Post
I am a freshman and will rush the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity in the winter. The fraternities at our school only have rush in the winter.

I have met quite a few guys already through my job which a TKE introduced me to a handful and numerous others recognize me from school.

About 80 rush this fraternity and only about 20 or 25 new members are offered a bid.

I have already met about 20 or 25 brothers out of 54 actives. I have had good conversations with just about all of them and I really connected with about 4 or 5 of them.

I know to be yourself, but what are some other tips to get into this fraternity? I heard trying to meet as many brothers possible and remembering their names is big, what else?
QFP.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-22-2013, 12:31 PM
thetalady's Avatar
thetalady thetalady is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Big D
Posts: 2,607
Not acting like a stuck up, suck up douche bag. See your post above for an example of what to avoid.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-22-2013, 03:02 PM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 5,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Not acting like a stuck up, suck up douche bag. See your post above for an example of what to avoid.
*like*
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Psi U MC Vito Psi U MC Vito is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nasty and inebriated
Posts: 5,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Not acting like a stuck up, suck up douche bag. See your post above for an example of what to avoid.
I am a fraternity man, and think this fraternity woman has expressed it more eloquently then I could.
__________________
And he took a cup of coffee and gave thanks to God for it, saying, 'Each of you drink from it. This is my caffeine, which gives life.'
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-22-2013, 05:20 PM
TSteven TSteven is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 3,596
I’m not getting where the original poster is acting like a “stuck up, suck up douche bag”. He has explained what he has done so far and asked “what else”. He hasn’t bragged or said he expects a bid. Sure, he used the word "exclusive", but most GLOs are exclusive, otherwise there wouldn't be membership selection. And while there can be a fine line between confident and arrogance, he seems to be doing what is expected of an NIC rushee.

So "what else?" At this point, I would continue to be yourself and meet and connect with as many brothers as you can. But you may also consider looking at other chapters as well as you may find out you are not a good fit with that chapter.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-22-2013, 05:26 PM
IUHoosiergirl88 IUHoosiergirl88 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 732
No offense, based on your posts on the other website...it's not hard to figure out where you go to school. And thus, it wouldn't be very hard to figure out exactly who you are

Outside of that, you want them to remember YOU for good reasons.
__________________
First. Finest. Forever. <>ALPHA DELTA PI <>
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-22-2013, 05:47 PM
ProudDGMom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I am new here and do not belong to any "other" websites, but from the responses left to the OP I have to say it does not reflect well on those who responded. He does not come off to ME, someone who is also new to greek chat communities, as anything but excited and inquisitive. I took "exclusive" as one of the more difficult houses to get into. Regardless I hope that my post does not garner equally mean responses and I am not even coming to the OP's defense as much as any new poster on the site here. I would like to think we are all welcome. Maybe the OP has said some things in the "other" website that have created some ill feelings, but as a new person here, and to greek chat in general, I would have no knowledge of this, and after all, what we say to others reflects more about ourselves than them.
Only my second post, aside from my introduction and already I am turned off. Sad.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Nanners52674 Nanners52674 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudDGMom View Post
I am new here and do not belong to any "other" websites, but from the responses left to the OP I have to say it does not reflect well on those who responded. He does not come off to ME, someone who is also new to greek chat communities, as anything but excited and inquisitive. I took "exclusive" as one of the more difficult houses to get into. Regardless I hope that my post does not garner equally mean responses and I am not even coming to the OP's defense as much as any new poster on the site here. I would like to think we are all welcome. Maybe the OP has said some things in the "other" website that have created some ill feelings, but as a new person here, and to greek chat in general, I would have no knowledge of this, and after all, what we say to others reflects more about ourselves than them.
Only my second post, aside from my introduction and already I am turned off. Sad.
Good grief can you clutch your pearls any tighter?
__________________
*~*The Brotherhood of Man and the Alleviation of the World's Pain*~*
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-22-2013, 06:18 PM
ProudDGMom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
Good grief can you clutch your pearls any tighter?
Not uptight, just trying to keep things classy. Thank you for asking though.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-22-2013, 07:07 PM
AnchorAlumna AnchorAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Old South
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudDGMom View Post
Not uptight, just trying to keep things classy. Thank you for asking though.
Dear DGMom, please read through the site more thoroughly before you jump in and comment.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-22-2013, 09:34 PM
ree-Xi ree-Xi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: State of Imagination
Posts: 3,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceshigh1 View Post
I am a freshman and will rush the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity in the winter. The fraternities at our school only have rush in the winter.

I have met quite a few guys already through my job which a TKE introduced me to a handful and numerous others recognize me from school.

About 80 rush this fraternity and only about 20 or 25 new members are offered a bid.

I have already met about 20 or 25 brothers out of 54 actives. I have had good conversations with just about all of them and I really connected with about 4 or 5 of them.

I know to be yourself, but what are some other tips to get into this fraternity? I heard trying to meet as many brothers possible and remembering their names is big, what else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceshigh1 View Post
I'm Bill and I'm interested in rushing the fraternity Sigma Chi.
???
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-22-2013, 10:03 PM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 5,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
???
Yup, exactly. When I searched for other posts by the OP earlier today, I saw his introduction and thought maybe he had posted that months ago and changed his mind. Nope. He posted it at 1:30am today, and then he started this thread not even 12 hours later……
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-23-2013, 12:03 AM
thetalady's Avatar
thetalady thetalady is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Big D
Posts: 2,607
Maybe he decided that Sigma Chi wasn't exclusive enough


Hat's off to the experienced GCers who know how to do a little research!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-23-2013, 08:42 AM
MysticCat MysticCat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: A dark and very expensive forest
Posts: 12,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrypi View Post
Don't let the door hit you in the ass while you're leaving. Maybe you can find a more appropriate mommy and me site instead of bothering us with your non-Greek opinions.


Yes, ProudDGMom's post was an over-reaction. Yes, it never goes over well when a newbie plays the "y'all are mean" card. And yes, I will always maintain that the word "classy" just should never be used. Ever.

But way to prove her point. Good job there.
__________________
AMONG MEN HARMONY
1898
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any tips before I meet this fraternity? andrew32 Fraternity Recruitment 6 11-03-2012 10:51 PM
exclusive dating jhawk2817 Dating & Relationships 3 05-26-2011 02:54 AM
Is it true that Theta is very exclusive? bubbles17 Kappa Alpha Theta 7 03-28-2002 11:36 PM
Is it true that Theta is very exclusive? bubbles17 Greek Life 32 04-23-2001 03:20 PM
i'm starting a fraternity at my college, any tips greeneyedbandit Greek Life 4 07-20-2000 11:11 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.