GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,255
0 members and 2,255 guests
No Members online

Old 09-03-2013, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Snap Bid Question

Anywhere University has a chapter total of 80. Prior to recruitment, Alpha Alpha Alpha (the smallest chapter on campus) had 50 chapter members. Quota during Formal Recruitment was 25, but AAA only matched 22, putting them at 72. All other chapters on campus matched quota and are over total after FR. A new chapter is colonizing, so informal recruitment is not allowed for the next semester for the whole campus until after the new chapter has some time to get new members and establish itself. A lot of PNM's dropped out of FR, mostly thinking about joining the new chapter.

My question is this: would AAA be allowed to snap bid up to total or can they only snap bid to quota? Is there anything in the MOI on this?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I could be wrong, but I believe snap bidding is just COB on Bid Day. If you (or whoever your asking for) don't have one yet, that train has probably already left the station.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeanbaby View Post
Anywhere University has a chapter total of 80. Prior to recruitment, Alpha Alpha Alpha (the smallest chapter on campus) had 50 chapter members. Quota during Formal Recruitment was 25, but AAA only matched 22, putting them at 72. All other chapters on campus matched quota and are over total after FR. A new chapter is colonizing, so informal recruitment is not allowed for the next semester for the whole campus until after the new chapter has some time to get new members and establish itself. A lot of PNM's dropped out of FR, mostly thinking about joining the new chapter.

My question is this: would AAA be allowed to snap bid up to total or can they only snap bid to quota? Is there anything in the MOI on this?

Thanks!
Not a complete answer, but if they only matched 22 in formal recruitment, they are allowed to snap bid up to quota (25) - not sure if they can snap bid up to total (I'm sure someone will come answer that soon) -- but even if they are allowed to, I'm guessing it wouldn't happen if they didn't make quota to begin with.

Usually (not always), campuses are only open for expansion if all groups are consistently making quota and total is pretty large (in comparison to past years at the school...not in comparison to other schools) and met by all chapters. I know that's not always the case (I joined a colony at my school the same year another chapter closed due to numbers).
Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Snap bids only happen between bid matching and handing out bids and only with women who have participated in formal recruitment. A chapter may only offer snap bids up to quota. If a chapter is under total they may then offer COB bids at any time school is in session. If a new chapter is colonizing, there is usually a moratorium on COB, but usually only for a period of a few weeks not the entire semester.

Last edited by AZ-AlphaXi; 09-03-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

How has FR gone in the past two years for this chapter? Did they meet quota in the past?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Snap bidding only happens before bids are distributed for chapters who did not match to quota. Total has nothing to do with it. If a new group is colonizing there can be pause on all other recruitment activities for no more than three weeks. I have seen two weeks most often but the time is decided as part of the agreement when the new group is invited.

Sorry AZ-Alpha xi I think we were writing at the same time
Old 09-03-2013, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's what the MOI (aka green book) says about snap bids

8. Snap bidding is allowed only for those chapters that did not match to quota in the bid-matching process. Women who participated in at least the first round of recruitment are eligible for snap bidding. Snap bids can be extended,
coordinated through the Panhellenic, prior to the start of Bid Day activities or when bids are distributed.
9. If the preferential bidding system is used, women who indicate an intentional single preference and do not receive an invitation to membership are eligible for snap bidding and COB, but they are not eligible to be a quota addition.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

The chapter has matched quota for the past 3+ years. However, there is always at least one girl who leaves the bid day party early and drops that night, and at least one who drops within the first 3 days after bid day. This chapter has lost A LOT of chapter members within the last year. After last formal recruitment, they were 3 above total. Ended that semester with 5 open spots (so they lost 8 girls due to dropping, transferring and early graduation). Panhellenic voted to expand, the chapter cob'd and filled 4 of the 5 spots, and then a lot of girls dropped the sorority or dropped out of school. Ended that semester about 10-13 under total (all other chapters were above or at total), but graduated a large class of seniors, thus keeping them the smallest. There definitalty is a need for a new sorority, but this chapter has had a rough time filling spots and keeping girls. Just some background knowledge.

(I can't figure out how to quote and save what I have already written, sorry!):
gatordeltapgh: You said that the pause on recruitment during a colonization is decided on as part of the agreement. Who decided that? Is that something the chapter's should have voted on or would this be a decree by Panhellenic/Greek advisor?

Also, where is the information on a pause of only 3 weeks? We have been told different things, from Panhellenic and the Greek advisor. First it was that any chapter under total would not be allowed to COR/COB for the entire year. Then it was just the semester of the colonization. Then it was not until the new chapter had their initiation and instillation ceremony. Knowing that it is only allowed to be for 3 weeks is quite a bit different then anything that has been communicated with the chapter.

Thanks for all of the replies about snap bidding to quota! I was like 80% positive that snap bids could only be used to achieve quota, but I wanted to be 100%.

And now for another maybe off-topic question: If a girl joins a colony, does she sign an MRBA? I know that they don't if they COB, but I don't have a ton of experience/knowledge on the logistics of colony recruitments.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeanbaby View Post
(I can't figure out how to quote and save what I have already written, sorry!):
gatordeltapgh: You said that the pause on recruitment during a colonization is decided on as part of the agreement. Who decided that? Is that something the chapter's should have voted on or would this be a decree by Panhellenic/Greek advisor?

Also, where is the information on a pause of only 3 weeks? We have been told different things, from Panhellenic and the Greek advisor. First it was that any chapter under total would not be allowed to COR/COB for the entire year. Then it was just the semester of the colonization. Then it was not until the new chapter had their initiation and instillation ceremony. Knowing that it is only allowed to be for 3 weeks is quite a bit different then anything that has been communicated with
This chapter needs to get their NPC Delegate involved ASAP to get this issue straightened out. The info is in the MOI. I'm not at my desk so I can't send it to you and the higher powers via the NPC Area Advisor and Delegate need to solve this and do some education.

Yes, women who accept a bid from a colony do sign a MRABA but in the off chance that the colony would not progress, the women would be released. I only know of this happening once in the last several years.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

from page 33 of the 2013 MOI

B. Each NPC fraternity chapter has the right to COB to reach quota or its total allowable chapter size during the regular school year as defined by the school calendar. To accommodate a chapter colonization or to allow a chapter to build its membership, the College Panhellenic Council may vote to suspend COB for a period not to exceed three weeks.

as was said above, the chapter needs to get their NPC delegate involved immediately.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

and to the question of the MRBA as was said colony members sign one, but women accepting COB bids should also sign one. This is the binding agreement that a women is bound to her chapter until the next formal recruitment.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't delay on getting someone in authority from your organization involved immediately. I hate it when the people running the Greek Life office don't know the rules and think its ok to make them up as they go.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I swear I read a thread on Greek Chat in the past few weeks about some chapters waiting several days or even a week for their pledge pinning or what ever your group calls it so that snap bidding could happen over the course of several days. After the pledging ceremony it would be COB? I skimmed the content of the thread...does anyone else remember this and what the conclusion was of the discussion?
Old 09-03-2013, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearly View Post
I swear I read a thread on Greek Chat in the past few weeks about some chapters waiting several days or even a week for their pledge pinning or what ever your group calls it so that snap bidding could happen over the course of several days. After the pledging ceremony it would be COB? I skimmed the content of the thread...does anyone else remember this and what the conclusion was of the discussion?
I can't find the thread, but the conclusion was that - as defined in the MOI - a snap bid is any bid given out BEFORE bids are released on bid day. A bid after bids go out is still a COB, it just might be that the recipient would then be added to the same pledge class.

The fine point was that if a chapter was over total, but had not made quota, that they could still bid to quota as long as they had not as yet had the formal pledging.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

No it was so they could do COB - not snap bid. And then also extend their new member period by a week or two since so many are at 6-8 weeks now.

HQ- we were posting at the same time!