GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 296,832
Threads: 114,103
Welcome to our newest member, kama3

Old 09-06-2013, 04:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
I thought "Beer" (aka partying/mixers ) was one of the 4 Bs to stay away from. I'm surprised that this was a topic at most of the houses.
Really? I think it's really normal to talk about your social events; that's a big part of being in a sorority. You're not going to talk about how drunk you get, but certainly "we had an awesome mixer with XYZ! It was a circus theme, and people had the most creative costumes!" is totally acceptable.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Really? I think it's really normal to talk about your social events; that's a big part of being in a sorority. You're not going to talk about how drunk you get, but certainly "we had an awesome mixer with XYZ! It was a circus theme, and people had the most creative costumes!" is totally acceptable.
Just to clarify... I think it is totally acceptable too and every sorority talked about it to some extent... I just got the vibe from our conversation that mixers and parties was the main focus of their chapter (which is fine! just not for me) because she didn't care to talk about much else
Old 09-07-2013, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 2- Sisterhood

Sisterhood was also broken into 2 days, we could get invited back to up to 6 chapters and I got asked back to my top 6! I was so excited, there were many girls who only got asked back to 1 or 2 and some who got none... so I was very blessed to get the chance to see these chapters again

1. Chicago Bears- The girls were very nice, I clicked well with the first girl I spoke with but has some awkwardness with some of the other.We did "speed dating" and I liked that because they had specific questions to ask us so our conversations had more of a direction. We watched their sisterhood video which was cute, they seem to have a lot of fun together and are involved on campus. Nothing really struck me though, I left feeling neutral.. They are not my first choice, but I wouldn't be upset to be with them either.

2. Miami Dolphins- I felt like they had a great sisterhood, I really clicked with the girls I spoke with and could tell they had a great sisterhood. At some points I felt like I was leading the conversation more then the girl rushing me which I wasn't sure was a good or bad thing. I did get the vibe I would have a lot of opportunity for leadership though, which I was excited about! Since they are newer on campus, they really had to do a lot of work and I admire that about them. I could see myself in here.

3. Green Bay Packers- I had such a wonderful time here. I just loved every girl I spoke to and felt they were so genuine. We talked a lot about values of the sorority and the importance they place on each member following them. I spoke with a lot of girls in exec positions and they seemed genuinely excited to have me back. The president was an absolute doll and was someone who I felt like I could look up to. Their sisterhood video was totally homemade and I loved that! These girls just exude class, I didn't want to leave this party.

4. Dallas Cowboys- I really like these girls, but I felt worried they didn't like me. The first girl I spoke with was really stand offish towards me, but then the second and third girls I spoke with I had a ton in common with and we had a great conversation. I got to speak with the new member educator which was awesome, she was really open with me about what the new member process would look like and I appreciate that. They had a great sisterhood video, but I didn't get as good of a sisterhood vibe as I did with other sororities. I was really tiered by the time I saw them, so I think that impacted my thinking too. I left longing to want to go back for pref round but I think it may be because they are a highly "ranked" sorority. I realized this and had to keep telling myself the rank does NOT matter... all that crazy stuff just gets in your head.

5.New England Patriots- The girls were nice but awkward. I was double rushed and could barely get a word in. I could just tell I would not fit in here, the girls seemed really shy and just not excited about anything. I wasn't moved by their sisterhood video, they all talked very softly and monotoned. The party seemed to drag. This is my last pick for sure.

6.New York Giants- Last Party of The Round!!! I really loved them, the first girl I talked to was a dance and dance teacher like me so we had tons to talk about. Their sisterhood video was great and I could just feel how much they loved each other. I felt accepted here and was able to be myself. I could have stayed and chatted all night. The last girl I talked to said I gave her chills when I told her what I really wanted from a sorority. I could see myself here, they are definitely tied with the packers for the top!

For ranking we had to put our bottom 3 and top 3. I ranked

1. Green Bay Packers
1. New York Giants
1. Dallas Cowboys
2. Miami Dolphins
3. Chicago Bears
4. New England Patriots

After I left and thought about it more, I felt kind of angry at myself for ranking the Cowboys above the Dolphins. It really came from a place of wanting to be asked back to the "popular" sorority even though I knew in my heart it wasn't the place for me.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL. Nobody knows why the Cowboys are popular. Everybody hates the Cowboys!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
LOL. Nobody knows why the Cowboys are popular. Everybody hates the Cowboys!
But the best part is that Cowboy fans are EVERYWHERE.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
Just like roaches.

AOII

Old 09-09-2013, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Just like roaches.
That's right...we're everywhere and indestructible. We will survive the nuclear apocalypse!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Just like roaches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
That's right...we're everywhere and indestructible. We will survive the nuclear apocalypse!
At least you admit you're roaches.

AOII

Old 09-10-2013, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Glad to see the Packers are at the top of the pack!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm also a 22 year old transfer student so reading this is great! I'm pretty excited to see the Packers in the lead, too!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm craving an update on this one...lol
Old 09-13-2013, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Pref Day!!

So Pref Day has finally arrived. I woke up about 3 hours earlier then I needed to because I was so nervous about not getting asked back anywhere. Finally 8 AM came and our Gamma Chi's brought our group outside to let us know there had been some pretty intense cuts and that many of us would likely be unhappy. My heart dropped, I didn't even want to look at my schedule... after a few deep breaths I opened it and saw:

1. Green Bay Packers
2. Miami Dolphins
3 New York Giants

I was SO happy to get asked back to 2 of my top 3 and my 4th pick... but this little voice in my head was beating me up for not getting asked back by the Cowboys. "Your uncool, ugly, too old blah blah blah" just ran over and over in my head but I had to let it go, when I really thought about it that wasn't the place for me anyway! Some other PNM's shoved it in my face that they had gotten asked back to the cowboy's but I tried to just focus on how blessed I was, there were many upset girls and I got asked back to 3 AMAZING chapters.

So first up was:

Green Bay Packers- I was so happy to be asked back here, I loved them and truly could see myself as all these girls sisters. Their values, class, friendliness, and genuiness just shined through. I got pref'd by not 1 but 2 girls! They played with my hair and made me feel comfortable as we watched their ritual. I teared up. I felt loved. I left feeling like I would not want to be anywhere else. However, I was worried about some of the other PNM's that were also in my pref... I don't know if I would fit in with them as my pledge class.

2. Miami Dolphins- Their pref was very nice, I had a good conversation with a girl I had met in previous rounds, this chapter is newer on campus so this was their first time doing formal recruitment but they did an amazing job! One girls story of how joining the Dolphins changed her life was really moving. I did not feel as connected as I did with the Packers, but could potentially see myself liking their chapter.

Now, between The Dolphins and Giants party there was a longgggg break and as to be expected, lots of chatter going on. "If I don't get The Packers I'm not doing it" "OMG how did you not get asked back to the cowboys, that must be so hard" "I would never join the Dolphins... they are just weird" GAHHH I couldn't get away. I started to really doubt if I even wanted to join a sorority... if these were the kind of people I was going to be around I was worried. I talked with my Gamma Chi, I told her I thought I was too old for this, I was worried to put The Packers as my top because of my potential pledge class- would they be mean and stuck up? She calmed me down and reassured me "focus on the connections you made with the girls IN the sorority... not the PNMS" We talked about the different levels of maturity and such. It was so helpful... literally my Gamma Chi helped me SO much.

Finally it was time to visit:
NY Giants- I walked in and just didn't feel like I had before. My rusher was really nice.. but it was almost too nice to a point that made me feel uncomfortable. I felt like I ran out of things to say and we just kept going around in circles with conversation not to make it awkward. I felt conflicted though because I had really loved these girls in other rounds. I walked out confused.

By this point I was so exhausted and kind of unenthusiastic. I knew I loved The Packers, but wasn't sure what way to go with The Dolphins and The Giants.

I would up ranking

1. Green Bay Packers
2. NY Giants
3. Miami Dolphins

When I left I was really nervous.... there was not way all the girls that ranked the Packers #1 were going to get a bid and I wasn't sure if I could be a Giant or Dolphin....
Old 09-13-2013, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! I really hope you get the bid you want although if you don't I hope you fall in love with the one you do get!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Can't wait to "hear" the outcome.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Pulling for you!