GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,104
1 members and 2,103 guests
TLLK

Old 08-21-2013, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

soclueless- another good thing to tell your daughter is that she should get to know the women in her dorm and in her classes that are in sororities. Let it be known that she wants to join a sorority. If a chapter is COBing, they will usually ask members if they know anyone that is interested. She should make it CLEAR that she wants to be in a chapter, and really reach out to get to know the sorority women around her. Additionally, if she can get great grades and be involved somehow, even if she can't COB this year, she can go through recruitment as a sophomore and still have a wonderfully full three years of membership
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-21-2013, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerivy View Post
soclueless- another good thing to tell your daughter is that she should get to know the women in her dorm and in her classes that are in sororities. Let it be known that she wants to join a sorority. If a chapter is COBing, they will usually ask members if they know anyone that is interested. She should make it CLEAR that she wants to be in a chapter, and really reach out to get to know the sorority women around her. Additionally, if she can get great grades and be involved somehow, even if she can't COB this year, she can go through recruitment as a sophomore and still have a wonderfully full three years of membership
Thank you. I have been passing along the information to my daughter. She says she feels slightly uncomfortable being too direct but says she has had natural conversations with her sorority friends about how much she regrets quitting. I will tell her to try to be a little more direct and hope she is comfortable with that.
Thank you to everyone who has helped. I recieved a private message for a very helpful person but accidently deleted it before I could respond. If your out there please contact me I would like to thank you. I really wish I had found this forum before rush. Would have made a huge difference.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

In response to a "lively" conversation that occurred after a post about bid day, the Mizzou Facebook page administrator commented that, according to the Mizzou Office of Greek Life, 1,765 young ladies participated in recruitment, and 1,256 received bids. They also reported that "around 350" women withdrew on their own.

As the mom of a 2013 PNM, I know I was curious about how many women were dropped from recruitment versus withdrawing. If my math is correct, "about 159" ended up bidless without withdrawing. It would be interesting to know how many of those were dropped before pref versus how many didn't maximize their options.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by posting this - if I am, someone please tell me and I'll delete!!! But, my information is that just under 150 PNMs did not match but did submit bid preferences. So that would be the number that ISP'd (or listed 2 but went to 3 parties) and didn't match.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

My DD will be a senior this year and is looking forward to her last recruitment for her house. She has had an amazing experience being greek at Mizzou. Each year record numbers sign up and this year will most likely be no exception. I just wish that somewhere someone would let the PNM's know that unless they have over at the very least a 3.0, they will be dropped from just about every house for grades. Most have cutoffs of 3.2,3.3 or higher. With such a competitive system, those pnm's should wait for their sophomore year when they have a year of good grades under their belt.
And mostly, have open minds about all the houses. Some great girls think they are "too good" to be in a house and act accordingly, getting them dropped altogether, or dropping out themselves when they find themselves with that they think are less desirable houses. It kills me that great women find themselves without a home when if they had opened their eyes and hearts, they could find an amazing sisterhood anywhere amongst such a strong greek system. Here's to a great recruitment at Mizzou this year and luck to all the amazing young ladies hoping to find their letters!
Old 07-12-2015, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is excited to go through recruitment "on the other side" this year as an active. I am betting they have over 2,000 girls this year.

She went through as a sophomore with an over 3.5 college GPA (she was a transfer), but was told after by a sister of a sorority (after recruitment ended) that they were still looking at her HS GPA.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Mizzou Recruitment 2015

Hi Northern Mom! I remember chatting with you last year. My daughter is also very excited to go through Recruitment as an active member. It will be fun to hear about her experience. I'm feeling so glad to be on the other side of last year's intensity, knowing that she has her sorority home. I'm sure that this year will bring its own ups and downs as favorite PNMs choose to come back (or not) to her sorority each day. Good luck to all the PNMs and the sororities too!
Old 07-13-2015, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumom View Post
My DD will be a senior this year and is looking forward to her last recruitment for her house. She has had an amazing experience being greek at Mizzou. Each year record numbers sign up and this year will most likely be no exception. I just wish that somewhere someone would let the PNM's know that unless they have over at the very least a 3.0, they will be dropped from just about every house for grades. Most have cutoffs of 3.2,3.3 or higher. With such a competitive system, those pnm's should wait for their sophomore year when they have a year of good grades under their belt.
And mostly, have open minds about all the houses. Some great girls think they are "too good" to be in a house and act accordingly, getting them dropped altogether, or dropping out themselves when they find themselves with that they think are less desirable houses. It kills me that great women find themselves without a home when if they had opened their eyes and hearts, they could find an amazing sisterhood anywhere amongst such a strong greek system. Here's to a great recruitment at Mizzou this year and luck to all the amazing young ladies hoping to find their letters!
Hello mumom! I did notice on mu's website this year that they HIGHLY ENCOURAGE all PNMs to have a 3.5. 3.0 to 3.49 is listed as a "yellow light" range where grades will likely have some impact on their recruitment options, and under 3.0 it is a "red light," indicating that grades will almost certainly recommend their recruitment. I am glad they are putting this on there and totally agree that it is better for entering freshman on a campus like Mizzou with such a competitive recruitment to wait and put in good grades and get involved on campus their freshman year. Also totally agree that the PNMs will do best by having a totally open mind. MU has such a fabulous and strong Greek system, and it is common for PNMs to change their minds often throughout recruitment, especially if they can let go of the opinions of others. People who go in with a closed mind, for whatever reason, are usually disappointed.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

One week and at least 1,000 are already registered!

Yes, Walk In The Woods - I remember you too! Very happy to be on the other side as a Mom.

I have a friend whose daughter will go through at Tennessee, and a friend's niece who is going through at Mizzou. So I'll be anxiously following their journeys.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm writing recs for a couple of people at Mizzou, and possibly one at LSU. It will be fun to hear their stories.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Cannot wait to hear everything that happens at MIZ this year!
Old 07-17-2015, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure there will be updates from the moms, but I'll also do my best to provide some updates from the advisor/panhellenic side!

Bid day is going to be amazing. It'll be on Farout field for the first time!!
Old 07-18-2015, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow didn't know Bid Day would be at Faurot Field! pbear19 we'll be looking forward to keeping up with the panel and advisor perspective--thanks!
Old 07-18-2015, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I had heard that last year was the last year at the Columns due to the heat. But Faurot doesn't make that any better. I think it will be amazing at Faurot, but kind of sad to lose the tradition of having it at the Columns.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi all! My daughter is getting ready to go through recruitment as a PNM next month. So glad to find this thread!