GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 780
3 members and 777 guests
indygphib, PGD-GRAD

Old 05-27-2013, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjizzle View Post
i know the guys in the fraternity i am going to pledge, and i am almost certain I will get a bid. Also, I am almost certain I will be gone fall because my family is moving across country and I intend to transfer to a specific school in that state (which I am almost certain I will be accepted at). What if the fraternity chapter at the new school does not allow me to affiliate? am i pretty much screwed then?
That's a lot of variables. A LOT. I mean, a meteor could fall out of the sky and hit you and then what? When I used to say things like you wrote, my dad would say "you want to know the outcome of the race before you place your bet, and Life is not like that." You can't control things. You really can't. You gotta place your bet and take your chances. And (dare I say it?) consider this: membership is for a LIFETIME, not just the college years.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-27-2013, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I doubt the Sigma Chis at your school would be very happy to bid you if you were honest and told them about your transfer plans. That is just rude! What is the point of joining when you're just going to leave? How do you even know you'll fit in with the Sigma Chi chapter at the other school? You are really limiting your options at the new school.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
I doubt the Sigma Chis at your school would be very happy to bid you if you were honest and told them about your transfer plans. That is just rude! What is the point of joining when you're just going to leave? How do you even know you'll fit in with the Sigma Chi chapter at the other school? You are really limiting your options at the new school.
Totally agree with all of this.

You are potentially offending both chapters: 1) the chapter at school 1 since you're going to immediately transfer (which I doubt you'll be able to keep your mouth shut about for a whole semester) and are basically just using them to get initiated and 2) the chapter at school 2 since you're going to come in and say "hey, I am already a brother, so you have to accept me."

It's better to be a second semester sophomore with a clean slate.

Out of curiousity, why did you not pledge as a freshman if this is something so important to you? You could have a year and a half of membership under your belt before you transferred. (Yes I know I am the biggest wait to pledge cheerleader here but this is a guy and Guys And Girls Are Different.)
Old 05-27-2013, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

because the school i am currently at does not allow pledging until sophomore fall.

i know i will fit in with the sigs at the new school, because my best friend is in a sorority at the new school and told me i would fit in well with these boys
Old 05-27-2013, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
i know i will fit in with the sigs at the new school, because my best friend is in a sorority at the new school and told me i would fit in well with these boys
Well THAT changes everything! Feel free to use your current friends to get a bid!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

If I was in a group and knew someone would leave the next semester, I would not vote to give them a bid. Just sayin'.....
Old 05-27-2013, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
because the school i am currently at does not allow pledging until sophomore fall.

Oh goodness that is such a wonderful coincidence! She probably knows everything about their membership selection too! Why bother rushing now? She can just vouch for you and they will give you a bid right away because you are so awesome and she thinks you will fit in well with them! I bet you won't even have to rush or pledge!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Take care not to put too many carts before their horses. You're making a lot of strong assumptions -- that you'll get into the fraternity, that you'll be accepted at the other school and that you'll be a good fit for the chapter there. Nothing is a sure thing on any of those fronts -- and won't be until you have a bid in hand, an acceptance letter in hand and an invite to affiliate in hand. Nothing is a sure thing, and the worlds of fraternity rush and college applications just aren't always predictable. It might all work out just the way you envision, or it might not. Keep that mind.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

My chapter has rejected affiliation requests from transfers from other schools. It's a possibility that your transfer chapter would do that to you. Just because you can get initiated at one school doesn't necessarily mean the other chapter will want to have anything to do with you and your friend likely has very little insight into how that chapter selects their members.

You'd be safest to just hang out with the chapter at your current school and be social with them, then rush when you transfer. I know my chapter has had some excellent one-year members. We've even bid and initiated international students who we knew would transfer back home and they turned out to be outstanding alumni.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma