GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 296,997
Threads: 114,110
Welcome to our newest member, uktjhjhjgkjgk

Old 08-19-2012, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Day Four: Philanthropy Day

My third party was the next day at MONKEY. I liked them. Not as much as GIRAFFE, but I felt comfortable. The chapter president came over to personally introduce herself to me. It made me feel really special and wanted. Their philanthropy was close to my heart because of a girl I knew from my club swim team.
This day really felt the longest. I had the very first party at 7:45 am and had to wait until 4:30 pm to leave the holding areas. They played movies and I ended up getting some pillows and a quilt to take a nap with, but 8 hours is a long time to be in a church watching movies!
At the end of the day, I had three parties out of 6. I couldn’t rank, so my card looked like this:
0. Giraffe
0. Monkey
0. Alligator
Old 08-19-2012, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Day Five: House Tours

Day Four: House Tours
Today started house tours. I was really hoping I would get all three houses back. My heart was pounding as my Gamma Chi handed me my schedule. Praying for the best, I looked at it. My spirits sank when I read it. I had MONKEY and ALLIGATOR. GIRAFFE had released me. I was upset. I knew I should feel lucky because other girls had been completely released, but it hurt. I thought I had really had a great time there and connected with the girls. I couldn’t see why I had been released. I did not have parties that day until 1:00 pm, so I was allowed to go back to my apartment. I talked with my Gamma Chi before I went back and she told me that I still had great houses and that it was okay to be upset, but I needed to look at the houses I had left. She gave me a hug and told me to text her if I needed anything. When I got back to my apartment, I called my mom. She made me feel better with a little tough love. I also went to IHOP with my roommate. While we were there, we saw a girl eating with her Gamma Chi. She had been completely cut and looked devastated. It made me truly appreciate the houses I had left. I know she would have loved to still have two houses. I perked up and started psyching myself up for house tours. These girls liked me so much that they wanted me to see where they lived! It was exciting! I got ready and texted my Gamma Chi. I told was on my way to wait for my party and that I was feeling a lot better about what happened. She said she was glad and wished me good luck.
[Side Note: My roommate officially dropped from recruitment today. She does not feel that she could end up pledging any of the 3 houses she has left. She feels that her heart lies with colonization and is particularly excited to see Alpha Chi Omega. A close family friend of hers is an Alpha Chi. If she allows me, I will try and post her colonization recruitment story in September.]
My first party was with MONKEY. Out of the two houses, I was the most excited for this one. I had seen the inside of their house last semester, but I was still excited to see a full tour of it. Their house was completely gorgeous! The first room I was taken to was the “function” room. They had banners from functions hanging on the walls and pictures from them on the tables. We got to walk around to the tables and talk to members about them. It was super laid back and I loved it! The next room was the study room. Two girls talked to us about study hours, GPA requirements and how they were committed to helping the new members study. Next, we were taken around the house in groups of threes and got to look in at one, two and three girl rooms. All the rooms were so cute and had lots of awesome canvases! After the tour, we were given drinks and taken into the dining room to chat. Both girls I had were very sweet! The last girl asked how I liked the house. I told her I loved it and was very comfortable with everyone. I definitely saw myself being happy at MONKEY.

Today also felt long. My party wasn’t until 1:00 pm, but I still had to wait after my party at a church until 6:00 pm. I understand that they don’t want us to have our phones until the parties are officially complete, but I really would have liked to go back to my apartment to sleep until my Gamma Chi meeting.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Day Six: House Tours

ALLIGATOR was my second and last house tour. I didn’t like this house too much in the past rounds, but I went in with an open mind. The girls I talked to were all super nice and I liked them. Their house was cozy, but I am not sure I would like it at ALLIGATOR over MONKEY. They did have the best drinks though! They served them as we were touring the house, so we could actually drink the drinks without having to worry about talking.

Today was another long day. My party was at 9:55 am and I couldn’t leave the church until 6:30 again. I feel that half the stress of recruitment is being cooped up in a church with 50-60 other PNMs (I was always at the smaller church) for 8 hours and being constantly told not to talk about anything recruitment related. I understand why, but it’s hard not to talk about something that is currently consuming your life.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope that you share that feedback with Panhellenic. Sitting somewhere for that long doesn't seem reasonable. It would seem that women with only 2 parties could be scheduled for one of the last parties of the day, both on the same day.

I could see wanting to drop out of recruitment after days like that, honestly.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Agreed. It shouldn't be hard for the computer to arrange parties in clusters. Even if they're in the middle of the day, they could be TOGETHER.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Day Seven: Preference Day

I went to my Gamma Chi meeting in high spirits. I was fairly certain that I would be asked back to both houses. Of course, I was preparing for the worst, but I didn’t feel stressed. As soon as my Gamma Chi said “I don’t think anyone will be disappointed today”, I knew I got both back. Sure enough MONKEY and ALLIGATOR were both on my schedule! Today was the most stressful day. After we went into our first party, we were not allowed to talk at all. My first party was the very first party at 7:45 am. My next was at 4:10. That meant about 8 hours of only talking in the parties. I was pretty tired and we were allowed to bring blankets and pillows, so I slept for a good 4 hours in between.

I was glad to see that my first party was MONKEY. As soon as the doors opened and the girls began singing, I felt that it would be a special day there. The first girl I talked to was a junior. We had good conversations about why she chose her sorority and their sisterhood events. I found out she was the Big of a good friend of mine. I got excited when she told me that her Little would be talking to me after the presentations! The presentations were beautiful. The video included pictures of the girls and video messages from members. Some were to the chapters or specific girls in the chapter. Then the girls talked about what the sorority meant to them. I found out later that the members had not seen the video before the party. Everyone got choked up, including me. A member read a letter she wrote to her Big and it was beautiful. After the girls sang songs, my friend came to talk to me. I was trying so hard not to cry. For some reason, when I saw her, I got even more choked up. I told her I was tearing up and she said she was too. We looked at each other and started crying and laughing. After talking to her, I knew I would most likely end up placing them first on my card.

My second party was at ALLIGATOR. They really surprised me. The atmosphere was beautiful. They had white sheets hung up, covering the room. Each sheet had a quote about sisterhood on it. The lights behind the curtains were the sorority’s color, making the room that color. I talked to a girl that I had met in a previous round and we also had good conversation. Their presentation was also moving and I could see why everyone on campus says this house has the best sisterhood. I could tell that they all loved one another. A girl I talked to said she had never gotten into any sort of disagreement or argument with a sister.

I liked ALLIGATOR and the sisters were fantastic, but MONKEY just had an extra spark for me. I couldn’t tell you what it was exactly. It was just a feeling of being home. I felt like these were the girls I could count on when I was at my worst and needed someone. I walked to the Union confident in my choice. As I signed my card, I smiled. Everything had worked out. I knew I would be happy at either house, but was really hopeful that I would receive a bid to my first choice.
No, I didn’t pref my “first choice” from the rounds. No, I didn’t have a full schedule every time. Yes, I got cut because of a less than stellar GPA. Yet, I was okay with all of this. Would I have been happy at GIRAFFE? Probably. However, I still got to see a glimpse of two amazing sisterhoods and I truly believe in the statement “You end up where you are supposed to be”. Two amazing chapters were willing to give me a shot even though I had messed up in school the year before. I felt SO blessed and truly happy.

They held us in the union until 2 a.m. We had to wait for all of the parties to finish AND the sororities to submit their bid lists. Luckily, I found some close friends and spent the night talking, laughing and napping with them. We were all so alike, but each of us had put a different house as our first choice. Two of the girls had put MONKEY second. As much as I knew I would love to potentially have them as sisters, I would also feel a little sad that they didn’t get their first choice. All that was left was BID DAY!
Old 08-19-2012, 07:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpiazza View Post
They held us in the union until 2 a.m. We had to wait for all of the parties to finish AND the sororities to submit their bid lists.
WTF??? Why does Arkansas do this to the PNM's? Way to make sure there is NOTHING AT ALL going on in their lives except rush.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

If they are going to hold them captive for so long, they should at least plan some activities for them. Maybe get a van or bus and take them somewhere like a restaurant, mall, movie, book store, zoo, something, especially in the early rounds. I am sure having empty time slots is hard to endure, maybe having some distraction would be good for the women.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Day Eight: Bid Day

I met my Gamma Chi at our usual meeting spot at 11 am. I was pretty tired from the night before, but adrenaline kept me going. I could not wait to find out what sisterhood I would be welcomed into! We walked to the Greek Theatre with our Gamma Chi for their reveal and Bid Reveal! When we got there, all the sororities were holding balloons and chanting. It was so exciting! They played music for a while and then finally got to the reveal. It turns out my Gamma Chi was an ALLIGATOR. I seriously never would have guessed it!
After reveal, she came back to give us our bid cards. Holding the card and waiting for the countdown felt so long! As the countdown began, everyone was nervous. I opened my bid card and was overjoyed. I was welcomed into the sisterhood of MONKEY! I ran to their section and saw that my buddy for the day was my friend that I talked to during pref! I spent the day eating lunch and taking pictures at the house. I also went shopping with my mom and got some cute little things! Later that night we went roller skating with the entire chapter!
I have been so lovingly welcomed into the sisterhood of.......

ALPHA OMICRON PI!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on AOPi!!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Congratulations!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Hooray for an AOII ending!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:46 PM

You're a rose, you're a pearl, you're an AOII girl. Congratulations!
Old 08-19-2012, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!
Old 08-19-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
If they are going to hold them captive for so long, they should at least plan some activities for them. Maybe get a van or bus and take them somewhere like a restaurant, mall, movie, book store, zoo, something, especially in the early rounds. I am sure having empty time slots is hard to endure, maybe having some distraction would be good for the women.
My school had PNMs "held captive" from the end of Preference ranking at noon-ish til Bid Night at 6:00 PM. They would be stuck in the Student Center that whole time. The SRCs brought TONS of movies, games, and encouraged girls to bring homework (since it was in mid-Sept.)

Lakers Nation.