GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,035
Threads: 114,205
Posts: 2,151,469
Welcome to our newest member, drfcvhgjgh
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Vitashort Vitashort is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 50
In your opinion, is joining a sorority worth the cost?

I just want to know everyone's personal opinions on it. Tell me why you feel it is worth it despite the cost,if you do feel it is worth it. If you don't explain why as well! I just want this discussion to be a friendly chat on everyone's experiences

I haven't seen a discussion on this, but feel free to tell me if there is one and i'll gladly go to it!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-30-2012, 10:07 PM
DeltaBetaBaby DeltaBetaBaby is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ILL-INI
Posts: 7,176
Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
You are asking a bunch of women in sororities if they think it is worth the money to be in a sorority. This is dumb.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Greek_or_Geek? Greek_or_Geek? is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitashort View Post
I just want to know everyone's personal opinions on it. Tell me why you feel it is worth it despite the cost,if you do feel it is worth it. If you don't explain why as well! I just want this discussion to be a friendly chat on everyone's experiences

I haven't seen a discussion on this, but feel free to tell me if there is one and i'll gladly go to it!
I really doubt women who hang out on a Greek message board are going to tell you it's not worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Vitashort Vitashort is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 50
Believe it or not i have met quite a few sorority women who although love being in a sorority say that if they had the option they wouldn't have joined due to financial problems. I also left for discussion the reasons why it IS worth it, so it wasn't one sided. For those who do feel it is worth it i just want to hear reasons why
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-30-2012, 10:46 PM
AGDee AGDee is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,773
They just mean that the women who post here tend to be women who really value their sisterhood or else they probably wouldn't be here posting.

Why is it worth the money?
My sorority membership has provided me more gifts and skills than I could ever have time to list here but they include: leadership skills- how to run an efficient meeting, how to feel comfortable with public speaking, how to make decisions for the greater good, how to coach instead of manage, how to communicate effectively to obtain desired results. financial assistance- in the form of a grant from our Foundation when I was having a medical issue that put me into an emergency financial quagmire (which actually was a larger grant than I ever paid in dues over my 28 years as a member, but now that I'm in a better financial place, I am determined to donate at least that much, and hopefully a lot more, back to our Foundation so they can continue helping other sisters). Networking opportunities- connections with alumnae sisters all over the country. But, more than anything, the sisterhood I have experienced is priceless. I have a support system and bonds with women from coast to coast and in Canada through my involvement over the last 28 years.

When I was a new member, my sister-mom (our version of big sister) told me "You get out of it what you put into it." She wasn't talking financially though. She was talking about effort, involvement. And she was spot on. All organizations need money to function and the treasurer of your chapter can give you a rundown of where your money is going. Girl Scouts, marching band, spanish club.. you pay dues to all of them. What you get out of them is really up to you!
__________________
AGD
Live with Purpose!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Vitashort Vitashort is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
They just mean that the women who post here tend to be women who really value their sisterhood or else they probably wouldn't be here posting.

Why is it worth the money?
My sorority membership has provided me more gifts and skills than I could ever have time to list here but they include: leadership skills- how to run an efficient meeting, how to feel comfortable with public speaking, how to make decisions for the greater good, how to coach instead of manage, how to communicate effectively to obtain desired results. financial assistance- in the form of a grant from our Foundation when I was having a medical issue that put me into an emergency financial quagmire (which actually was a larger grant than I ever paid in dues over my 28 years as a member, but now that I'm in a better financial place, I am determined to donate at least that much, and hopefully a lot more, back to our Foundation so they can continue helping other sisters). Networking opportunities- connections with alumnae sisters all over the country. But, more than anything, the sisterhood I have experienced is priceless. I have a support system and bonds with women from coast to coast and in Canada through my involvement over the last 28 years.

When I was a new member, my sister-mom (our version of big sister) told me "You get out of it what you put into it." She wasn't talking financially though. She was talking about effort, involvement. And she was spot on. All organizations need money to function and the treasurer of your chapter can give you a rundown of where your money is going. Girl Scouts, marching band, spanish club.. you pay dues to all of them. What you get out of them is really up to you!
That is true i didn't think about it like that. In that case I will change the question to "Why do you feel joining a sorority is worth the cost"

It sounds like you have a wonderful sisterhood. Hopefully everyone gets to experience that. Public speaking can be very hard so for a group of young women that are able to get you out of your comfort zone and teach you about the world seems like an incredible thing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-30-2012, 11:24 PM
AGDee AGDee is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,773
We are often asked "Why do you pay for your friends?" and we tend to get defensive about that question, because nobody asks that about Girl Scouts or school clubs with dues. Your question could be interpreted as a thinly veiled version of that same question, which is why some people will feel defensive about it. One comment made here in the past was "If my dues were paying for my friends, then I didn't pay nearly enough."

I don't think you asked the question in that spirit, but some may interpret it that way, because it gets asked a lot, usually by people who are anti-Greek.
__________________
AGD
Live with Purpose!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-30-2012, 11:26 PM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 14,988
Vitashort, Why do you want to know? Are you deciding on whether or not to rush? Are you researching a topic for a possible book? A paper?
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Vitashort Vitashort is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
We are often asked "Why do you pay for your friends?" and we tend to get defensive about that question, because nobody asks that about Girl Scouts or school clubs with dues. Your question could be interpreted as a thinly veiled version of that same question, which is why some people will feel defensive about it. One comment made here in the past was "If my dues were paying for my friends, then I didn't pay nearly enough."

I don't think you asked the question in that spirit, but some may interpret it that way, because it gets asked a lot, usually by people who are anti-Greek.
Oh no! I don't see it that way at all! Like you said there are dues in just about every club! Yes, sororities are a bit more costly, but i guess that is because you usually live in a house with sorority women and have events. I don't see it as "paying for friends" because i'm sure it isn't an automatic friendship once you are in. I'm sure that takes time to build close bonds like with any starting friendship.So I hope nobody is offended by my post because that is not how I meant it to sound. However cost is usually a big deal breaker for people thinking about rushing a sorority when they already have tuition to worry about so that was the reason for my question.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Vitashort Vitashort is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Vitashort, Why do you want to know? Are you deciding on whether or not to rush? Are you researching a topic for a possible book? A paper?

Hi, yes I am considering rushing. Please let me know why you feel it is worth it and what being in a sorority has done for you in every way! You can even add what you did for your sorority if you'd like!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-30-2012, 11:43 PM
IndianaSigKap's Avatar
IndianaSigKap IndianaSigKap is online now
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sweet Home Indiana
Posts: 1,942
I second everything AGDee said! I also want to add that in my experience, the women who regret joining or don't feel like it was worth the added expense are usually the ones who joined a chapter for the social life/parties. If someone goes into it focused on the superficial like how many fraternity parties or dances/date parties a chapter has that individual isn't going to value the personal growth aspects or the alumnae aspects.
__________________
Sigma Kappa
One Heart One Way since 1874
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Vitashort Vitashort is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
I second everything AGDee said! I also want to add that in my experience, the women who regret joining or don't feel like it was worth the added expense are usually the ones who joined a chapter for the social life/parties. If someone goes into it focused on the superficial like how many fraternity parties or dances/date parties a chapter has that individual isn't going to value the personal growth aspects or the alumnae aspects.

I agree with this and i like your view. That could very well be the reason why people regret joining because I do think you can learn a lot from being in an organization full of strong women. Parties only get you so far. I do feel that working on your social life and social skills is important though for networking purposes and just getting you outside of your comfort zone. I am sure there are pros and cons to it, but hopefully the pros outweigh those cons.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-01-2012, 12:09 AM
28StGreek 28StGreek is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 190
From a purely financial viewpoint, in some cases living in a sorority house (especially with a meal plan) to my knowledge from various campuses is actually more cost-effective than having to live in on/off campus housing. Definitely more competitive than private apartments in the school's neighbourhood.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-01-2012, 12:17 PM
LAblondeGPhi's Avatar
LAblondeGPhi LAblondeGPhi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: GMT + 2
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28StGreek View Post
From a purely financial viewpoint, in some cases living in a sorority house (especially with a meal plan) to my knowledge from various campuses is actually more cost-effective than having to live in on/off campus housing. Definitely more competitive than private apartments in the school's neighbourhood.
This was the case for me. My first year live-out dues were in the range of $2,000, and my dorm costs were around $8,500 (apartment costs would be comparable). I lived in the house for three years and paid about $7,000 for combined dues/housing/meals which also included a small account for shirts and favors, and included all costs for social events.

From a purely financial viewpoint, I think many chapters with houses are very cost effective for members, if they live in. But that doesn't even begin to cover all the other wonderful things that you gain from sorority membership.

I know that for many, Greek life can be a little hard financially, but I consider it kind of like the general college investment - it will pay dividends down the road as long as you go into it with the right attitude!
__________________
I heart Gamma Phi Beta

Last edited by LAblondeGPhi; 07-01-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-01-2012, 12:42 PM
SWTXBelle's Avatar
SWTXBelle SWTXBelle is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Land of Chaos
Posts: 8,928
Yes.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=87973
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
Courtesy is owed, respect is earned, love is given.
Proud daughter AND mother of a Gamma Phi. 3 generations of love, labor, learning and loyalty.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Local Sorority Joining A National NPC Sorority Mallorymu Introductions 1 04-23-2011 04:54 PM
Joining a sorority msujenn Recruitment 4 01-31-2010 11:14 PM
FSU sorority cost, rush etc fsu322 Sorority Recruitment 26 08-17-2009 12:25 AM
Question for sorority girls: Opinion of country crossover music KSUViolet06 Entertainment 27 01-05-2009 06:57 PM
joining more than one sorority snowadams Greek Life 15 01-27-2003 05:53 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.