GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 296,834
Threads: 114,103
Welcome to our newest member, sdfghjjj

Old 03-26-2012, 03:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Junior rushing?

Hey everyone! I just wanted to say I'm going to transfer to Samford University and planning to rush as a Junior. I just switched my major to English, so i'll more than likely end up staying for another two years or so. I'm scared because I may be too old to rush? I have no idea what their quota is or anything. The sororities there are:

Chi Omega
Alpha Omicron Pi
Phi Mu
Alpha Delta Pi
Zeta Tau Alpha

And I have two letters of recommendation, one for ZTA and one for Chi Omega. Do letters of recommendation more likely get you a bid? Fall rush isn't until September. I just wanted to get some information first. Thanks!

Last edited by SUjuniorrushing; 04-02-2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Trying to not give out so much information
Old 03-26-2012, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Read as much as you can from the recruitment forum.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Do Chi O and Zeta allow active sisters to write recs, even if they're in a different chapter? I didn't think that Chi O did for sure.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much, Angel! I definitely will. Carnation, my cousin has already graduated Samford I'm not sure if that's considered an active sister still? Also, my friend who's a Chi O said she could write me one. Maybe I should just ask her again to be sure!?
Old 03-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Probably you could ask a Chi O on GC. Often, actives of a sorority are unaware of whether or not they can write recs.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUjuniorrushing View Post
Hey everyone! I just wanted to say I'm going to transfer to Samford University and planning to rush as a Junior. I just switched my major from Accounting to English, so i'll more than likely end up staying for another two years or so. I'm scared because I may be too old to rush? I have no idea what their quota is or anything. The sororities there are:

Chi Omega
Alpha Omicron Pi
Phi Mu
Alpha Delta Pi
Zeta Tau Alpha

And I have two letters of recommendation, one for Zta (my cousin who is a legacy at samford) and one for Chi Omega (my best friend but she attends a different university). Do letters of recommendation more likely get you a bid? Fall rush isn't until September. I just wanted to get some information first. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Do Chi O and Zeta allow active sisters to write recs, even if they're in a different chapter? I didn't think that Chi O did for sure.
Quote:
Thank you so much, Angel! I definitely will. Carnation, my cousin has already graduated Samford I'm not sure if that's considered an active sister still? Also, my friend who's a Chi O said she could write me one. Maybe I should just ask her again to be sure!?
Lane swerve

http://eleusis.chiomega.com/feature....ecruitment.xml

Scroll down to the section on RIFs and it specifically states "alumna".

/Lane swerve
Old 03-26-2012, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I just switched my major from Accounting to English...
Different lane sweve....from an English major who's now forced to do bookkeeping: ARE YOU NUTS?????
There are WAY more jobs out there for accounting majors than English majors. WAY MORE.
I beg of you....don't be like me!!
At least get a degree where they'll pay you well for the bookkeeping!

Old 03-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

SUjuniorrushing, my daughter is an alumni of Samford(graduated 2010) where she joined ZTA. She had friends in all the sororities and it would behoove you to get recommendations to all the chapters at Samford. It is more difficult for juniors to join, but it can be done. Do your homework, and be open to all the groups. They are all good. you can pm me if you would like.

BTW, I am not sure what you meant when you said that your ZTA cousin was a legacy, but I just wanted to clarify that ZTA does not consider cousins legacies-if that is what you meant.

...and to answer Carnation's question-a ZTA collegiate member may write a recommendation, however, she has to have an alumna sign the form with her. I realize that this does not apply to SUjuniorrushing, as her cousin has graduated.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 03-26-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

AnchorAlumna, I'm actually switching to English because I'm planning to go into court reporting after I graduate! Haha no bookkeeping for me! FSUZeta, well to be honest I have no idea. My cousin said she could write me a letter of recommendation but that's all she said. Does writing a letter of recommendation have any effect on getting a bid or anything?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
AnchorAlumna, I'm actually switching to English because I'm planning to go into court reporting after I graduate!!
Ahhhh, I'm so relieved. OTOH, with all the cuts going on, courts will be using video"tapes" for records instead of human recorders.
Quote:
Haha no bookkeeping for me!
Never say never. Sometimes you gotta take what you can get.
Back to the topic:
Quote:
Does writing a letter of recommendation have any effect on getting a bid or anything?
It absolutely doesn't guarantee a bid. But it might keep you from getting dropped right away. Better to have it than not. FSUZeta is right - all the Samford groups are good. Do NOT go in thinking you'll only accept A or B and not consider C, D, and E. You don't have as much power as you think.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 03-26-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe your cousin thought that you are a ZTA legacy. It can be confusing, but as I said previously, cousins are not considered legacies in ZTA, but definitely have your cousin write you a recommendation and work on getting recs. for the other sororities!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Ahhhh, I'm so relieved. OTOH, with all the cuts going on, courts will be using video"tapes" for records instead of human recorders.
Nah. Someone neutral still has to type the transcripts and certify them. Some courts use tape for some things, but we'll always need court reporters.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Possible. But then, I thought we'd always need local newspapers, reporters, and editors.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

No career is forever. If you can get a good 10 or 15 years out of it, I'd consider it a win. And advancements in government never happen very fast, even if it will save them truckloads of money. You should see the mountain of paper my travel agency has to send to the military every month as back up for the travel we sold. And we sent them electronic copies when the tickets were booked, just like everyone else in the world. There was HUNDREDS of dollars every month on something that is 100% unneeded. At least there is value in court reporters.

But back on topic, are you sure you're going to be a junior? Possibly with a transfer you'll be losing hours. Just make sure you register with correct information. No need to hamstring yourself if you don't have to.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone! I'll keep everything in mind and I'll end up having 50 hours transferred not including the hours I'm taking right now. So, including the ones I'm taking it'll be 65 if I pass my classes which I know I will. I'm guessing technically yes I'll be a junior when I transfer to Samford. Also, I have talked to my friend in chi omega and she said she's going to end up graduating this summer after her summer course! So, she'll be able to write me a recommendation, hopefully. I do appreciate everyone's advice! Y'all are all super helpful and sweet!!