GreekChat.com Forums

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 168,796
Threads: 108,097
Posts: 2,097,726
Welcome to our newest member, uajuxytr
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-04-2012, 05:02 PM
AnchorAlum AnchorAlum is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Back home in FLA
Posts: 669
You know what? I've lived all over this country and what I've found is that the GREEK system is strong in a lot of places. From New York to California, from Wisconsin to Texas and back home to Florida.

Some of the groups I've seen mentioned in this thread are indeed stronger in some states than others. Some of the groups mentioned are part of campus life. That seems to be the best way to phrase it.

At the end of the day we're all fond of our group and have great memories of our collegiate days. This "strong" and "best" business belongs on that silly site that shall not be named.

Also, this southern lifelong thing is over-rated. It was over with Grandma. All it does is bring a smile to someone's face when you find out that you were part of the same GLO. Since I lived all over the country, I can say that with certainty.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-04-2012, 05:07 PM
psusue psusue is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 666
[QUOTE=ASTalumna06;2129835]

AST also has A LOT of chapters in PA. I think nearly a third of our chapters are located in the state.

I agree, AST is at a lot of PA schools. I think this makes sense though because both of our sororities were once Association of Education sororities and therefore both would be at schools that were once teacher colleges (i.e. many Pennsylvania schools).


Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
But mostly I'd like to see us back at all 12 of the Big 10 schools. (It's 12 now, right?) We have been at all of them at one time or another.
It's 12 now. And Alpha Xi is already at Indiana, Purdue, Penn State, University of Illinois, Ohio State, Iowa, and University of Nebraska- Lincoln. There's just U of Minnesota- Twin Cities, U of Wisconsin- Madison, Michigan State, Michigan, and Northwestern to go!


Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
I'm not sure that any organizations really have a "stronghold" in CA based on TriDeltSallie's example of Chi Omega in Arkansas. There are a lot of organizations with many strong chapters in California, and you can't just compare 10 chapters in CA to 10 chapters in Georgia - the populations and number of universities are very different for those states. You really need to consider density vs. raw numbers.

ETA: For Example, Alpha Phi has 23 chapters in California (DG has 19, Theta and Gamma Phi each have 18, etc.). Now compare that to Phi Mu's 10 chapters in the state of Louisiana, when the next most prolific organizations have 4 chapters each.

Then you also have to take into consideration the prestige and size of the University, the strength/size/prestige of the overall Greek life at the University, and the strength of the chapter at that University. I think it's very misleading for us to look at a map and declare strongholds without really knowing the situation in that area.

Anyway, Greek life isn't the same in California as it is in the South. It's not as big a deal post-graduation, and which organization you were a member of will have very little influence on your career or social standing in your community (aside from the obvious alumnae connections and leadership skills developed, but that's different from influence/reputation based soley on WHICH organization you joined).
Agree to all of this. That's why I struggle with saying that PA is a 'stronghold' for Sigma, because being Greek here just isn't the same as being Greek in the South, especially after college, IMO.
__________________
sigma sigma sigma
beta upsilon
ever true

Last edited by psusue; 03-04-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Apparently I cannot count.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-04-2012, 08:00 PM
28StGreek 28StGreek is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 183
Speaking of strongholds as well as 'Southern' Greek Life, I wonder if the conference realignment could do anything to alter the Greek environment at Mizzou. With PNMs who would have chosen a pre-alignment SEC school, deciding to go to Mizzou. I know they already have a huge Greek community there, and Sorority recruitment is thriving and pretty competitive (in the 'Southern' sense of the word). And as for active chapters, the campus does have all the GLO's associated with the South.

A part from the Greek community at USC being traditionally very strong and 'Southern' in a lot of ways, I've always wondered if the fact that Texas has the largest out-of-state population here, and perhaps that has influenced the way the Greek community at SC has developed in recent years.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-04-2012, 08:35 PM
als463 als463 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sweet Tea Heaven
Posts: 2,197
[QUOTE=psusue;2129922]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post

AST also has A LOT of chapters in PA. I think nearly a third of our chapters are located in the state.

I agree, AST is at a lot of PA schools. I think this makes sense though because both of our sororities were once Association of Education sororities and therefore both would be at schools that were once teacher colleges (i.e. many Pennsylvania schools).




It's 12 now. And Alpha Xi is already at Indiana, Purdue, Penn State, University of Illinois, Ohio State, Syracuse, Iowa, and University of Nebraska- Lincoln. There's just U of Minnesota- Twin Cities, U of Wisconsin- Madison, Michigan State, Michigan, and Northwestern to go!




Agree to all of this. That's why I struggle with saying that PA is a 'stronghold' for Sigma, because being Greek here just isn't the same as being Greek in the South, especially after college, IMO.
Though I have a bias regarding how much I love Syracuse University, it is not a Big 10 school. I'm assuming you were thinking of another school. In fact, Syracuse is leaving the Big East and moving to the ACC.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-04-2012, 09:53 PM
psusue psusue is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 666
[QUOTE=als463;2129974]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post

Though I have a bias regarding how much I love Syracuse University, it is not a Big 10 school. I'm assuming you were thinking of another school. In fact, Syracuse is leaving the Big East and moving to the ACC.
I fixed it. I guess I just thought they were Big 10 because we play them almost every year. Also, I cannot count.
__________________
sigma sigma sigma
beta upsilon
ever true
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 PM
28StGreek 28StGreek is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 183
[QUOTE=psusue;2130000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post

I fixed it. I guess I just thought they were Big 10 because we play them almost every year. Also, I cannot count.
With the crazy way conference re-alignment has been this year, its perfectly understandable to mix up a school's conference!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-04-2012, 10:53 PM
ProudandTrue ProudandTrue is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post

At the end of the day we're all fond of our group and have great memories of our collegiate days. This "strong" and "best" business belongs on that silly site that shall not be named.

^^^This.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-05-2012, 04:29 AM
DubaiSis DubaiSis is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Back in the Heartland
Posts: 4,100
Yes. While I can say where we have a lot of chapters, I can't say they are the chapters girls are beating down the doors to get in. I think Chi O has an unusual situation as was described above. Small state, big school, not a lot of in-state options, founding sorority chapter at a very competitive campus and not a lot of chapters at that school. That makes their density a lot stronger than just about any other scenario anyone could come up with. Even if, using Alpha Phi in California as an example, they ARE the chapter the girls are beating down the doors to get in at every one of their chapters, there are still a gazillion other schools there where they aren't represented, Greek life isn't the be all and end all of college life there, and I don't think founding chapters have the gravitas in California (a younger state) that they do in the Midwest and East. it's just a different scenario.
__________________
"Protect your dignity." Mariam Behnam
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-05-2012, 07:40 AM
als463 als463 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sweet Tea Heaven
Posts: 2,197
[QUOTE=psusue;2130000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post

I fixed it. I guess I just thought they were Big 10 because we play them almost every year. Also, I cannot count.
Wait, what do you mean we play them every year? Does SU play PSU in basketball? I know they don't play each other every year in football which is why they made a list of some special games where PSU will go against SU (like in 2013 in NJ). I'm excited for that game--and I will be there! I'll be cheering on both teams but, when it comes to football it's PSU and basketball is SU so, we will see.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 AM
wavycutchip's Avatar
wavycutchip wavycutchip is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: In the south
Posts: 161
Just a thought as a non Chi-O Arkansas Resident (and I love all my panhellenic Chi-O sisters!), yes Chi Omega at the University of Arkansas is very strong and since it was founded at Arkansas and there are 3 Chi Omega chapters in Arkansas (all still active) there are LOTS of Chi Omega sisters living in all parts of the state. All the Chi Omegas I know are all classy and wonderful women. And yes, when someone says they are a member of Chi Omega in Arkansas (and specifically Psi chapter - UA) there is a level of respect as the 1979 article says.

However, I would say that it is 33 years later, and while Chi Omega is still lovely at UA - there are other houses on that campus that are FANTASTIC too! Ones that have been awarded the "top chapter" award by their perspective sororities, or have been there for over 100 years, or are newer chapters who do amazing things. I would also say that respect is earned, and not just given. In post-college life, I think it means a whole lot more what you are doing now (in regards to getting a job, being involved in community philanthropy/service organizations (jr. league/etc), etc) than what sorority you joined in college. The "aw" factor goes away pretty quickly if you don't have anything to back it up with.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-05-2012, 09:17 AM
NutBrnHair's Avatar
NutBrnHair NutBrnHair is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: TN
Posts: 6,896
Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
I am loving this thread! Thanks, TriDeltaSallie!
__________________
XΩ Alumna --34 Year member
ΦΑΘ Alumna
ΚΔΕ Alumna
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-05-2012, 09:22 AM
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: East of the sun, West of the moon
Posts: 3,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
You know what? I've lived all over this country and what I've found is that the GREEK system is strong in a lot of places. From New York to California, from Wisconsin to Texas and back home to Florida.

Some of the groups I've seen mentioned in this thread are indeed stronger in some states than others. Some of the groups mentioned are part of campus life. That seems to be the best way to phrase it.

At the end of the day we're all fond of our group and have great memories of our collegiate days. This "strong" and "best" business belongs on that silly site that shall not be named.

Also, this southern lifelong thing is over-rated.It was over with Grandma. All it does is bring a smile to someone's face when you find out that you were part of the same GLO. Since I lived all over the country, I can say that with certainty.
WORD!
__________________
"It is all AZTheta's fault" ~ DrPhil
"NonGreeks should not criticize certain aspects of Greekdom even if they've lurked and researched. NonGreeks are still nonGreeks." ibid
Miss Manners says your advanced degrees should be like silk underwear - it should be enough that you know you have them; there's no need to show everyone. SWTXBelle
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-05-2012, 09:31 AM
MysticCat's Avatar
MysticCat MysticCat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nerdvana
Posts: 12,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
Also, this southern lifelong thing is over-rated. It was over with Grandma. All it does is bring a smile to someone's face when you find out that you were part of the same GLO. Since I lived all over the country, I can say that with certainty.
And my lifelong experience of living in the South can say you're right, at least for my part of the South.
__________________
AMONG MEN HARMONY
1898
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-05-2012, 12:17 PM
ThetaPrincess24 ThetaPrincess24 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 5,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
And my lifelong experience of living in the South can say you're right, at least for my part of the South.
I can say that about Kentucky. Lexington & Louisville have a large Greek presence. You are likely to find other Greeks in most places, but you are just as likely to sit for an interview or meet with someone who is not Greek, and the mention of the fact you are Greek can result in weird looks or an "Oh that's nice." or "So what?" kind of reply. Unless you are a blue-blood or from a prominent/famous family in the area, being Greek doesn't carry that much weight here.
__________________
Kappa Alpha Theta-Life Loyal Member
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-05-2012, 12:28 PM
NutBrnHair's Avatar
NutBrnHair NutBrnHair is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: TN
Posts: 6,896
Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post

Also, this southern lifelong thing is over-rated. It was over with Grandma.
I disagree, my friend. It was just starting with grandma.
__________________
XΩ Alumna --34 Year member
ΦΑΘ Alumna
ΚΔΕ Alumna
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BLGO sorority and service sorority Nicole48 Greek Life 3 06-18-2011 05:53 PM
Local Sorority Joining A National NPC Sorority Mallorymu Introductions 1 04-23-2011 03:54 PM
question about local sorority affliating with national sorority skr002 Greek Life 13 07-27-2007 01:02 PM
MTV's Sorority Life: New season to have black sorority... Imperial1 Zeta Phi Beta 22 09-22-2003 10:16 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.