GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 298,857
Threads: 114,171
Posts: 2,151,026
Welcome to our newest member, DanMyl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-14-2012, 05:36 PM
SageB11 SageB11 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Any encouragement?

Hi. I go to a predominantly white school that used to have a chapter in the early 2000s. I have no idea why the chapter is inactive or who the people were before that used to run the chapter. I do know that it is not suspended on put on probation. If I want to join, I will have to start the chapter again under a new charter and basically be one of the founding women. I have already started that process. I have done my research, and read so much about the Sorority. My sister is a part of it. My whole problem is I don't know what to expect. I do not expect you to tell me because that is not allowed but I do need some encouraging words. I am all for this sorority, I love what it stands for, I love the pride and joy of a probate and I love the strong ways of the females involved. Also I want to make my sister soooo proud because she takes pride in me and with me being her little sister. I was never interested in sorority life that's why I went to a school and didn't check its Greek History. She gave me pointers about sorority life in general and told me to pick the organization that best fits me. She also told me not to join a sorority only because she is in one (but no doubt that influenced my decision). I researched them all and of course I found the one I loved and related with.

Long story short, I want to join so bad and I want to finish. But I know myself and sometimes I feel like I cannot make it through the sands to get to the land. I feel like I would get lost in the darkness and not make it to the light. I have read about people who died and I do not want to die, I do want to lose, I do not want to slip. Sometimes I consider just enduring how people would see me as a "skater" if i sign the paper (which may not be an issue in my campus) because I will still be able to greatness. I want it as much as the next girl but I dont know how much I can endure physically. You have to be strong and I am but it is something I never touched. I want to bring what the founders brought, sisterhood, scholarship and service (especially on my campus) I want to show people the great deeds of this sorority and join the history and amazingness of this Org but I do not think that I will make it through. I cannot help but to think that. Reading the stories break my heart and if it breaks my heart now, how will I feel when I'm doing it? Any encouragement, advice? I know there is so much you can tell me, but I will appreciate anything.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-14-2012, 06:02 PM
DrPhil DrPhil is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageB11 View Post
Hi. I go to a predominantly white school that used to have a chapter in the early 2000s. I have no idea why the chapter is inactive or who the people were before that used to run the chapter. I do know that it is not suspended on put on probation. If I want to join, I will have to start the chapter again under a new charter and basically be one of the founding women. I have already started that process. I have done my research, and read so much about the Sorority. My sister is a part of it. My whole problem is I don't know what to expect. I do not expect you to tell me because that is not allowed but I do need some encouraging words. I am all for this sorority, I love what it stands for, I love the pride and joy of a probate and I love the strong ways of the females involved. Also I want to make my sister soooo proud because she takes pride in me and with me being her little sister. I was never interested in sorority life that's why I went to a school and didn't check its Greek History. She gave me pointers about sorority life in general and told me to pick the organization that best fits me. She also told me not to join a sorority only because she is in one (but no doubt that influenced my decision). I researched them all and of course I found the one I loved and related with.

Long story short, I want to join so bad and I want to finish. But I know myself and sometimes I feel like I cannot make it through the sands to get to the land. I feel like I would get lost in the darkness and not make it to the light. I have read about people who died and I do not want to die, I do want to lose, I do not want to slip. Sometimes I consider just enduring how people would see me as a "skater" if i sign the paper (which may not be an issue in my campus) because I will still be able to greatness. I want it as much as the next girl but I dont know how much I can endure physically. You have to be strong and I am but it is something I never touched. I want to bring what the founders brought, sisterhood, scholarship and service (especially on my campus) I want to show people the great deeds of this sorority and join the history and amazingness of this Org but I do not think that I will make it through. I cannot help but to think that. Reading the stories break my heart and if it breaks my heart now, how will I feel when I'm doing it? Any encouragement, advice? I know there is so much you can tell me, but I will appreciate anything.
Guess what happened 99 years ago?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-14-2012, 06:13 PM
SageB11 SageB11 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
I know it was founded.... but are you implying something else?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Spinderella Spinderella is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 49
In continuing your research, you will need to locate the local graduate chapter of the sorority. They directly influence any re-activation or chartering of a inactive or new chapters.

The grad chapter is typically responsible for

1. Fact finding to confirm that having a chapter on your campus is viable.

2. Identifying grad members who will directly take on the task of serving as advisors for the potential chapter reactivation/chartering.

3. Filing the proper paperwork with your university and the regional/national Grand Chapter.

4. Securing approval for the chapter from the university and regional/national Grand Chapter.

5. Working with young ladies, like yourself in whatever capacity is required to prepare for new member intake, once approved by regional/national Grand Chapter.

Again, as you have said, do you homework.

Another suggestion, go online, look at the websites of other local undergraduate chapters and see who is the grad advisor. If you begin conversations with that person, perhaps they can give you guidance in working on what you can, and determining what is NOT your responsibility in achieving your dream to get a chapter reactivated/chartered on your campus.

Be professional when you speak to this person and be prepared to discuss what you can bring to DST, your academic achievements to date and your willingness to be a hard worker. Keep yourself busy with other things and do not allow yourself to become consumed with this activity. Do what you can, but don't lose sight of getting the most stellar gpa you can at your university.

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-04-2012, 07:01 PM
SageB11 SageB11 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Thanks so much! That was entirely helpful!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Spinderella Spinderella is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 49
You are welcomed. I am not a Delta, but I have observed more than enough to offer help to others who aspire to be.

Once you're in...can't do nothing for ya man!! LOL!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-05-2012, 01:15 PM
als463 als463 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinderella View Post
You are welcomed. I am not a Delta, but I have observed more than enough to offer help to others who aspire to be.

Once you're in...can't do nothing for ya man!! LOL!!
While some of your advice may seem to be good, I have to admit that if someone who was NOT a member of my GLO attempted to give out "advice" regarding how to attract members of my sisterhood for potential membership, I would be really upset and annoyed. You say that you are NOT a Delta but, you have "observed more than enough to offer help to others who aspire to be," and I feel like that will not sit well with ACTUAL Delta Sigma Theta members.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-05-2012, 01:39 PM
DrPhil DrPhil is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageB11 View Post
Thanks so much! That was entirely helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinderella View Post
I am not a Delta.
......
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Spinderella Spinderella is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
While some of your advice may seem to be good, I have to admit that if someone who was NOT a member of my GLO attempted to give out "advice" regarding how to attract members of my sisterhood for potential membership, I would be really upset and annoyed. You say that you are NOT a Delta but, you have "observed more than enough to offer help to others who aspire to be," and I feel like that will not sit well with ACTUAL Delta Sigma Theta members.

If a non-greek asks a good question and gets a 'grasshopper type answer' from a greek, I will attempt to answer the question.

I think it is deplorable for people to be left in darkness about something that really needs more light shined on it. Way too many people spend their college and some adult years chasing something that if given proper information, they could have made alternate decisions or handled things differently for themselves.

I'm all about the candidates or people who think they want to be candidates.

Once you get there, I can't do nothing for you man. UNLESS you want to denounce...

Have a nice day.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-06-2012, 03:43 PM
knight_shadow knight_shadow is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,119
How do you know that there isn't protocol in place dictating what can and cannot be said? It doesn't matter what you think is deplorable -- Greeks are going to follow the rules of their respective I/HQs.
__________________
*does side bends and sit-ups*
*doesn't lose butt*

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Old_Row Old_Row is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Consumer of Educational Resources
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinderella View Post
If a non-greek asks a good question and gets a 'grasshopper type answer' from a greek, I will attempt to answer the question.

I think it is deplorable for people to be left in darkness about something that really needs more light shined on it. Way too many people spend their college and some adult years chasing something that if given proper information, they could have made alternate decisions or handled things differently for themselves.

I'm all about the candidates or people who think they want to be candidates.

Once you get there, I can't do nothing for you man. UNLESS you want to denounce...

Have a nice day.
All that advice you just gave didn't do you a lick of good in your eternal search to become a Delta, did it?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Spinderella Spinderella is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
All that advice you just gave didn't do you a lick of good in your eternal search to become a Delta, did it?

I learned that it is for some, not all, and definitely not me. Therefore, my eternal search is for something totally different.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-06-2012, 05:48 PM
als463 als463 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinderella View Post
I learned that it is for some, not all, and definitely not me. Therefore, my eternal search is for something totally different.
Then, why don't you take that "eternal search" you have and go search another website where you DON'T give advice about an organization where you are not a member. So, if Tiger Woods tries to give advice to Tom Brady about how he can win the Superbowl, does that mean (as a Golfer and not a Football player) his advice would even be relevant? I don't think so. You are NOT a member so, you should probably just allow the ladies of Delta Sigma Theta answer (or not answer) future aspirants (if that is the word). You have no reason to be dispensing advice that you clearly didn't take. It's actually quite shocking that you are not a member. How could they not want you?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Old_Row Old_Row is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Consumer of Educational Resources
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinderella View Post
I learned that it is for some, not all, and definitely not me. Therefore, my eternal search is for something totally different.
Because people who have given something up always spend time hanging out on and giving out uneducated advice on message boards focused on the thing they gave up.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Old_Row Old_Row is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Consumer of Educational Resources
Posts: 490
Before it suddenly disappears ............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinderella View Post
Dear Sisterfriends,

It is now the end of May. Together, we all received our rejection letters in early March. The line that we were not selected for crossed into the Ďland of Blah Blahí in mid-April. Letís move on with our lives. Please stop calling me to replay why you think we didnít make it. The why is no longer important at this time, because knowing why wonít change things.

Take stock of your life; we are still beautiful, we still contribute to society and we are actually financially richer. Even more so, if you count all the things the other women had to pay in becoming members and committing their lives to the most illustrious, dynamic, never duplicated sorority on Earth; the one and only Blah Blah Sorority, INNNNCORPORATED. God has a greater plan and being a member at this time, wasnít it.

If the money is still burning a hole in your piggy bank, either donate it to your favorite charity, pay off some bills or go buy something very very nice for yourself.

If you Sisterfriends are the true hearts that I think you are, you will take time to reconnect with old girlfriends and other sisterfriends who are already in your lives. You will find that you are already part of your own sororities, in which, if you are as diligent as I am about picking my friends, you will already have some 'sho-nuff got ya' back women in your life.

Keep serving your community doing the things that make you feel good. Just because it was classified as self-serving doesnít mean you didnít ultimately help someone. Get over that point. Your time was and still is valuable to all people you helped. When you feel the time is right, then you can switch community service to be more reflective of what is needed.

But I implore you; search your heart before you do. Ask yourself 'Why would I feed the homeless, if I really like working with the kids in my school?' Keep in mind that women in the sorority do what they like and get involved in committees where their talents are best suited, too. Don't be fooled into thinking that members do 'painful' community/committee service work. And if it is painful, they do it with their sisters, so there is a bigger intrinsic joy. Don't go to the homeless shelter, by yourself, thinking it will get you brownie points if you would rather be somewhere else.

Sisterfriends, you are grown women, it is at this juncture of your life that you should be comfortable in your skin and happy in what you do. Donít let ANYBODY take that away from you, EVER. We are long past the ages of 19. Some longer than others.

So in summary, if getting a rejection letter is the only thing that bonds us, please donít call me anymore. But if you are calling to invite me to a community service project that you are doing, or to say that your kids are excelling/having problems and you wanted to share the joy or reach out for my help, most certainly, feel free to call at any time. I will be there for you. If you are calling to tell me a joke, make me smile, share your joys, please call me.

Donít call me to say that you saw such and such. Don't call to ask did I hear about certain unpublished events--if a member didn't call me (and I know plenty), then maybe I'm not invited. (Perhaps if a member didn't call you, maybe you aren't invited either, hmmm?) Donít call me to say you heard this, you heard that. Donít call to say such and such chapter might be doing something next year, letís try again. Donít call to say ďitís their loss, I really thought you would make it.Ē Do me and yourself a favor, lose my number, because on this matter, I donít give a rip. Life goes on and this is officially the summer of SPINDERELLA!!!!!

I will still Luv Ya, Sisterfriends!! (even from a distance)

PS Find some good-hearted Sisterfriends, go see Sex In the City on Friday and toss back some Cosmos. Youíll feel better! Make í08 YOUR SUMMER!


PS 2--If you find yourself at a public or private Blah Blah Sorority Innnnnncorporated event and you are still neurotic about what colors to wear, IT IS OKAY TO STOP WEARING BROWN AND GRAY!!! Add some new colors to your wardrobe...perhaps oranges (rust to peach), yellows (canary to gold), purples(orchid to deep rich purple), teals, or turquoise. Wear colors that will uplift your spirits. It may take some time to find these colors, but when you do, it will be that much sweeter to uniquely represent yourself while feeling good in a color that complements your beautiful skin tones. Gray ain't never did nothing for nobody.


Red, pink (all variations ranging from fuschia to mauve), burgundy, green (ranging from olive or lime) or royal blue are not the only color games in town.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Needing some encouragement ... LikeASista Alpha Kappa Alpha 19 08-20-2009 07:47 PM
I need some encouragement here! Rollergirl2001 Academics 10 11-27-2005 10:24 PM
Where does your encouragement come from? futurestar1 Alpha Kappa Alpha 16 05-07-2005 06:29 PM
Need encouragement CarolinaDG Delta Gamma 1 11-16-2004 04:57 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.