GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,218
Threads: 114,209
Posts: 2,151,522
Welcome to our newest member, Esdjfsakly
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:44 PM
TSteven TSteven is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
No one here believes a fraternity would send a letter like this. It isn't done unless you have some kind of local doing their own thing there. The only letter I can see someone sending you is a cease and desist if you're being even 10% as annoying, repetitive and obtuse as you are being here. It certainly isn't rush season and hasn't been for a while, so this shows me you've been pursuing this for quite some time.
To the bolded: IFC spring rush is actually happening now at many colleges. By now, I mean the start of the college's spring/winter semester/term.

And yeah, I have never heard of any NIC/IFC chapter sending this type of letter.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:53 PM
TSteven TSteven is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysammy225 View Post
I have to again state this, the fraternity wrote a letter and stapled it to his door in the dorms. It read "we reject you, we do not want any motherf***ing retards in our frat. dont dare showing your face. you do we will kick the s*** out of you go f****ing die. go sit in your special ed classes"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
If there was something on your dorm room door, that is not an official letter of rejection. That was people being mean. If such a mean letter on your dorm room door does exist, forward it to Greek Life/the national body of the fraternity for further investigation. That does not mean you will then be accepted by the fraternity but it means that the fraternity will be investigated and possibly punished.
^^ This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Five. If you sincerely were concerned about discrimination, why would you consult strangers on the internet instead of complain to your school? Obviously, it is a student organization so why not complain to the office of student life or whatever it is on your campus. They could investigate and get more facts than strangers on the internet could any day and actually act on them.
^^ And this.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-12-2012, 04:15 PM
knight_shadow knight_shadow is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
My mind ---> your fingertips
__________________
*does side bends and sit-ups*
*doesn't lose butt*

Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:22 PM
lucgreek lucgreek is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 501
I'm sure your school newspaper would love to see that letter and do a story on it.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Psi U MC Vito Psi U MC Vito is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nasty and inebriated
Posts: 5,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysammy225 View Post
What seriously? How stupid is this forum? ada and brown v. board would be some of the laws that are against discrimination? who doesn't know that there are laws against discrimination?
The person you are calling stupid is actually on the Bar of the Supreme Court. So I think he would have a general idea what he is talking about.
__________________
And he took a cup of coffee and gave thanks to God for it, saying, 'Each of you drink from it. This is my caffeine, which gives life.'
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01-12-2012, 06:29 PM
amIblue? amIblue? is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Shackled to my desk
Posts: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysammy225 View Post
you act as if you know something personal yet i see no presented evidence.

perhaps the belligerent answers are because the individuals themselves have a personal hatred of minorities, women or anyone with any disabilities and any question as to whether their own discriminatory actions are wrong responds with completely ignorant answers of "any organization and business can discriminate against anyone"



because they bullied the person? their behavior? because they admitted it?

i am just amused by how many people here are supportive of discrimination of all kinds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
How stupid are you? First of all, you were typing to an attorney. Second of all, you are the one who claims exclusion on the basis of discrimination.

If you are going to be all dumb and psycho over your rejection, at least use this as an opportunity to learn more about Greekdom. If you acted then as you are acting now, I can see how your rejection was well-founded.
Come on, DrPhil, you know you hate women and minorities. Just admit it.

__________________
Actually, amIblue? is a troublemaker. Go pick on her. --AZTheta
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 PM
AOII Angel's Avatar
AOII Angel AOII Angel is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Santa Monica/Beverly Hills
Posts: 8,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
The person you are calling stupid is actually on the Bar of the Supreme Court. So I think he would have a general idea what he is talking about.
And don't forget, he is the Chief Justice of Greek Chat!
__________________

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!




Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Old_Row Old_Row is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Consumer of Educational Resources
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
To the bolded: IFC spring rush is actually happening now at many colleges. By now, I mean the start of the college's spring/winter semester/term.

And yeah, I have never heard of any NIC/IFC chapter sending this type of letter.
Do you really think there's been time in this semester to conduct rush, hand out bids, and leave notes on someone's door because he's had enough time to annoy all of you because he's making an ass of himself? Your schools must start very early!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-12-2012, 07:29 PM
MysticCat MysticCat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: A dark and very expensive forest
Posts: 12,665
Court will come to order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysammy225 View Post
What seriously? How stupid is this forum? ada and brown v. board would be some of the laws that are against discrimination? who doesn't know that there are laws against discrimination?
Okay, first off: Brown v. Board of Education (which is a case, not a "law") or any other case that is based on constitutional rights only applies to the government (state or federal). Only the government is bound by the Constitution, so only the government can violate someone's constitutional rights. Public school. Yep. Private organization. Nope.

So, if you're dealing with a private organization, you've got to find some other law that says a private organization cannot discriminate against you for whatever specific reason. The ADA won't get you where you need to be: It prohibits discrimination in employment and discrimination by public entities (schools, government offices, public transportation, public parks, etc.), public accomodations (hotels) and commercial facilites (restaurants, stores, movie theaters, etc.). It does not apply to membership in private organizations.

And by the way, asserting (correctly) that the situation you've described doesn't violate the laws you think it does does not equate to being "supportive of discrimination of all kinds." This forum is not that stupid.
__________________
AMONG MEN HARMONY
1898

Last edited by MysticCat; 01-12-2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typos fixed
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-12-2012, 07:33 PM
ThetaPrincess24 ThetaPrincess24 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 5,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
Do you really think there's been time in this semester to conduct rush, hand out bids, and leave notes on someone's door because he's had enough time to annoy all of you because he's making an ass of himself? Your schools must start very early!
It is possible with good planning! My alma mater has spring informal this week for both sororities & fraternities. Monday was the first day back from break. My chapter had functions Monday & Tuesday evening. We gave out bids Tuesday and yesterday and filled all of our spots. I cant speak on rationale for the fraternities, but most of the sororities on campus will hold functions immediately upon returning to campus in order to remain competitive and to recruit the most desired PNMs before someone else does.
__________________
Kappa Alpha Theta-Life Loyal Member
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Psi U MC Vito Psi U MC Vito is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nasty and inebriated
Posts: 5,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
And don't forget, he is the Chief Justice of Greek Chat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Court will come to order.

Okay, first off: Brown v. Board of Education (which is a case, not a "law") or any other case that it based constitutional rights only applies to the government (state or federal). Only the government is bound by the Constitution, so only the government can violate someone's constitutional rights. Public school. Yep. Private organization. Nope.

So, if you're dealing with a private organization, you've got to find some other law that says a private organization cannot discriminate against you for whatever specific reason. The ADA won't get you where you need to be: It prohibits discrimination in employment and discrimination by public entities (schools, government offices, public transportation, public parks, etc.), public accomodations (hotels) and commercial facilites (restaurants, stores, movie theaters, etc.). It does not apply to membership in private organizations.

And by the way, asserting (correctly) that the situation you've described doesn't violate the laws you think it does does not equate to being "supportive of discrimination of all kinds." This forum is not that stupid.
*Doink Doink*
__________________
And he took a cup of coffee and gave thanks to God for it, saying, 'Each of you drink from it. This is my caffeine, which gives life.'
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,083
How did I miss this?

Sammy, legalities aside (and legally, you have zero case, so shut up about that).

When you claim you went on some sort of letter-writing campaign, come on dude, that's just desperate and pathetic looking. Stop it.

We're private organizations with private selection criteria. You're not changing anyone's mind here or probably anywhere else. Go join some student organizations or something.
__________________
SN -SINCE 1869-
"EXCELLING WITH HONOR"
S N E T T
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:15 PM
TSteven TSteven is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
Do you really think there's been time in this semester to conduct rush, hand out bids, and leave notes on someone's door because he's had enough time to annoy all of you because he's making an ass of himself? Your schools must start very early!
Yes.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:17 PM
DTD Alum DTD Alum is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysammy225 View Post
I have to again state this, the fraternity wrote a letter and stapled it to his door in the dorms. It read "we reject you, we do not want any motherf***ing retards in our frat. dont dare showing your face. you do we will kick the s*** out of you go f****ing die. go sit in your special ed classes"
Absolutely never happened.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 PM
amIblue? amIblue? is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Shackled to my desk
Posts: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD Alum View Post
Absolutely never happened.
I think perhaps one of his other personalities wrote it. We've seen the OP, his friend, and some law student already.
__________________
Actually, amIblue? is a troublemaker. Go pick on her. --AZTheta
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discrimination? Coconuts88 Kappa Alpha Theta 6 01-31-2007 02:39 AM
Hiring Discrimination chideltjen Careers & Employment 18 03-01-2005 01:52 PM
Discrimination zetasigma955 Lambda Chi Alpha 5 02-07-2004 03:30 AM
Discrimination... DeltAlum Chit Chat 25 01-11-2004 02:16 AM
Discrimination? AKA2D '91 Alpha Kappa Alpha 17 03-14-2001 11:32 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.