GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 296,916
Threads: 114,111
Posts: 2,150,259
Welcome to our newest member, wsetfwedf@yopma
» Online Users: 299
2 members and 297 guests
oboissonnedmu, pedapete
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 01-10-2012, 01:20 PM
dandrewporter dandrewporter is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
Okay. Love the input. Though some of it is mislead. I would like to note that I said I was going to play devil's advocate. I believe everyone was playing nice with the girl in the other thread. You may have not liked my comment, but it's the other side of the argument.

Back to this thread. I know about the process of NPC - They've already approached the right people and on the right track. The comment that was given from MY ADMINISTRATION was the fact that though there might be some interest on campus. KKG is a sorority that they are not extremely familiar with.

ALSO! Just so we can clear some of the air of sexism...I (as a gay man) am not interested in ever dating a sorority girl. K thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-10-2012, 01:26 PM
knight_shadow knight_shadow is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,119
If you all have already approached the appropriate people, you should have been told next steps.

As others have stated, you don't just pick which GLO you want at your school. The school has to be open for expansion and the organization has to decide whether or not it wants to come to your school. You can get all the KKG information in the world, but if the group is not interested in your school, it's not going to happen.
__________________
*does side bends and sit-ups*
*doesn't lose butt*

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-10-2012, 01:43 PM
dandrewporter dandrewporter is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
If you all have already approached the appropriate people, you should have been told next steps.

As others have stated, you don't just pick which GLO you want at your school. The school has to be open for expansion and the organization has to decide whether or not it wants to come to your school. You can get all the KKG information in the world, but if the group is not interested in your school, it's not going to happen.
WHY ARE PEOPLE RESTATING THE OBVIOUS!
This topic was meant to gain information about KKG. Traditions, Philanthropy involvement, and other things that these girls do.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-10-2012, 01:45 PM
knight_shadow knight_shadow is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrewporter View Post
WHY ARE PEOPLE RESTATING THE OBVIOUS!
This topic was meant to gain information about KKG. Traditions, Philanthropy involvement, and other things that these girls do.
THE OBVIOUS CHOICE IS GOING TO THEIR WEBSITE

But if you bring up a topic on a message board, you're going to get responses. Take what you're given and keep it moving.
__________________
*does side bends and sit-ups*
*doesn't lose butt*

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-10-2012, 01:47 PM
AOII Angel's Avatar
AOII Angel AOII Angel is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Santa Monica/Beverly Hills
Posts: 8,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrewporter View Post
WHY ARE PEOPLE RESTATING THE OBVIOUS!
Yet you persist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrewporter View Post
This topic was meant to gain information about KKG. Traditions, Philanthropy involvement, and other things that these girls do.
www.kappakappagamma.org
__________________

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!




Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-10-2012, 01:50 PM
amIblue? amIblue? is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Shackled to my desk
Posts: 2,869
Interestingly enough, according to Murray State's website, three of the five sororities on campus are having Informal Recruitment this spring. It doesn't appear on the surface as if the sororities are bursting at the seams and that there's actually a need for another organization.

The organizations on your campus are fabulous. They have strong traditions and wonderful philanthropies. I'd also be willing to assert that on the whole, they do lots of the same things that Kappas do.

Sounds like a case of women who didn't get bids to the group they wanted.
__________________
Actually, amIblue? is a troublemaker. Go pick on her. --AZTheta

Last edited by amIblue?; 01-10-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-10-2012, 01:58 PM
naraht naraht is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Rockville,MD,USA
Posts: 2,936
Is it the schools Panhellenic or the Dean of Students(/equivalent) who get the final say? Obviously if the school says no extension, it really doesn't matter what the Local Panhellenic does, but has anyone seen a situation where the Dean of Students would like to have additional NPC sororities on campus but the existing NPC chapters have a majority vote against expansion? (and what happens then?)
__________________
Because "undergrads, please abandon your national policies and make something up" will end well --KnightShadow
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-10-2012, 02:06 PM
dandrewporter dandrewporter is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
thanks guys. I love all of the first hand responses. it's cool.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-10-2012, 02:14 PM
dandrewporter dandrewporter is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Interestingly enough, according to Murray State's website, three of the five sororities on campus are having Informal Recruitment this spring. It doesn't appear on the surface as if the sororities are bursting at the seams and that there's actually a need for another organization.

The organizations on your campus are fabulous. They have strong traditions and wonderful philanthropies. I'd also be willing to assert that on the whole, they do lots of the same things that Kappas do.

Sounds like a case of women who didn't get bids to the group they wanted.
The harsh truth is that this may be a bit accurate (now that I think about it)
but if she pursues the expansion then I am going to still help out the best I can.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-10-2012, 02:22 PM
DubaiSis DubaiSis is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Back in the Heartland
Posts: 5,376
I would strongly suggest she work within the system she's got. We try to tell girls this over and over again, but if she has a group of friends who want to start a sorority and there's a sorority that is struggling for members, if they all joined that sorority both problems would be solved. That is of course assuming the sorority WANTED all those girls, but I think you get the point. A small chapter can change its persona pretty quickly with the addition of a handful of strong pledges. And being too good for any of these excellent sororities is short-sighted.

If you want to build your reputation as a leader among Panhellenic circles, work on that. If you can play a role in achieving parity at this campus that would be something to be proud of.

Try reading this thread: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=37621
__________________
"Traveling - It leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller. ~ Ibn Battuta

Last edited by DubaiSis; 01-10-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-10-2012, 02:23 PM
psusue psusue is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 666
I was simply going to ask, how many of these women have gone through recruitment with the groups that exist now? How many dropped out, at what rounds, did any receive bids, why did they decline them, etc? If none have been through recruitment, maybe they don't know what they're missing. If some have and were sour grapes about the results, I just don't know if that's going to add positively to Panhellenic unity and pride no matter what (if any sorority) does colonize.
__________________
sigma sigma sigma
beta upsilon
ever true
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-10-2012, 02:56 PM
TSteven TSteven is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Interestingly enough, according to Murray State's website, three of the five sororities on campus are having Informal Recruitment this spring. It doesn't appear on the surface as if the sororities are bursting at the seams and that there's actually a need for another organization.
For what it is worth, it is not unusual for one or more Murray State chapters to have informal recruitment in the spring.

My understanding is that most of the chapters are "right at" or “slightly over” total after fall rush. But after fall graduations, random early alum status, and with members studying abroad, any given chapter may be under total by a few members at the start of the spring semester. But still not enough "overall" to warrant expansion.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-10-2012, 03:25 PM
amIblue? amIblue? is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Shackled to my desk
Posts: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
For what it is worth, it is not unusual for one or more Murray State chapters to have informal recruitment in the spring.

My understanding is that most of the chapters are "right at" or “slightly over” total after fall rush. But after fall graduations, random early alum status, and with members studying abroad, any given chapter may be under total by a few members at the start of the spring semester. But still not enough "overall" to warrant expansion.
I wasn't trying to throw shade on the chapters with my comment. I was just trying to say that if a campus needed a new organization, there wouldn't be that many informal recruitment opportunities.
__________________
Actually, amIblue? is a troublemaker. Go pick on her. --AZTheta
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-10-2012, 03:55 PM
DeltaBetaBaby DeltaBetaBaby is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ILL-INI
Posts: 7,176
Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I wasn't trying to throw shade on the chapters with my comment. I was just trying to say that if a campus needed a new organization, there wouldn't be that many informal recruitment opportunities.
You are spot on. The criteria is "needs a new chapter", not "a new chapter wouldn't hurt anyone".
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-10-2012, 04:29 PM
TSteven TSteven is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I wasn't trying to throw shade on the chapters with my comment. I was just trying to say that if a campus needed a new organization, there wouldn't be that many informal recruitment opportunities.
I didn't think you were. And as DeltaBetaBaby noted, you were spot on.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting new chapter at GMU Corsulian Pi Lambda Phi 9 11-05-2015 10:14 PM
Starting a new chapter omegamerk Fraternity Recruitment 0 07-10-2008 10:23 PM
Starting a chapter adele87 Zeta Tau Alpha 3 04-13-2007 05:50 PM
starting a new chapter/rechartering an inactive chapter Quala67 Alpha Phi Omega 22 04-06-2005 02:38 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.