GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,627
0 members and 1,627 guests
No Members online

Old 01-07-2012, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geedprobz View Post
Whoa whoa whoa ladies no need to smack me haha that is in no way shape or form what I meant. I'm not trying to decieve people. What I meant by that is there were many posts talking about me transferring if I were to have took a bid this semester and transferred after initiating. However what I meant by starting fresh was if I transfer and rush again I will not be an active in a sorority currently. Make more sense? I would never try to be in two different sororities at once I'm not that silly!
Quote:
Starting fresh as in starting as an independent
Let me be clear: if you are initiated as a member of an NPC sorority you cannot ever be initiated as a member of any other NPC sorority. Once you're initiated you are a member for life, unless you resign your membership or are terminated. And even then, you were still initiated into an NPC sorority so you cannot ever be a member of any other NPC sorority.

So what exactly are you thinking that you can do? Are you not going to accept a bid at all (should you be offered one)? Or what? Maybe it's your writing that is causing all the confusion, so please clarify. Thanks.

and FWIW SMH = shaking MY head. Not yours.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Banned

I really don't see the point of rushing at all if you are seriously considering a transfer. It isn't fair to the women in the sororities and definitely not fair to any PNM whose spot you may take if you accept a bid you don't intend to commit to.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
Well, you can start fresh, there really isn't a big database of who was in XYZ sorority and therefore cannot go through formal rush at another school. But that is very dishonest to your previous group, and I would suggest not deceiving people like that.
Who would need a database to find this out? People talk and check girls out. Especially when it comes to transfers. You'd be amazed at how much you can find out from friends and facebook.

Like AzTheta said, you need to stay out of NPC threads because you have no clue what you are talking about.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

ay ay ay hehe ok let me try this again. If you will read my original post with my original questions i think a lot will be cleared up.
Is it really that bad that i'm giving my current school another chance? I want to stay there and I think greek life will open me up to new friends and will make my college experience there more enjoyable. That is why i'm considering rushing. I want to transfer ONLY if things do not get better this coming semester.
Okay and for the BIG topic of discussion haha Correct me if i am mistaken, but just because you accept a bid, doesn't mean you are initiated. There is a time period in between and you can drop before you are initiated and have no further permanent ties with that group. I want to try it out because I feel it will help me blossom in my current school so I will no longer want to transfer. If I was happy enough to initiate with that group, I wouldn't leave them.
My question was in fact, that if I didn't like my school after trying things out, if I even receive a bid at all, would it be impossible for a Junior (that is what i will be IF i transfer in the fall) to get a bid. The SEC school I am considering as an alternative has many options for greek life. Are ALL sororities that strict about receiving Jrs.?

Sorry if i confused you guys that was not my intention at all. The thread got turned to a topic I wasn't even considering (transferring WHILE initiated) which is why I brought up the fact that I will be "starting fresh".

Also, I would never try to decieve anyone. That is far far far from my character. And nothing is secret, people would find out (to the boy in this thread??) My boyfriend is in a frat and I know sorority life and Frat life is very different. Atleast at my school. You really shouldn't encourage someone to cheat. What if a pledge tried to sneak one on your frat?

Thanks you guys!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:00 PM

I will answer in red.

Quote:
ay ay ay hehe ok let me try this again. If you will read my original post with my original questions i think a lot will be cleared up.
Is it really that bad that i'm giving my current school another chance? I want to stay there and I think greek life will open me up to new friends and will make my college experience there more enjoyable. That is why i'm considering rushing. I want to transfer ONLY if things do not get better this coming semester. Is it a question of your academics? If your major doesn't have what you want or your school doesn't have your major, that's not going to "get better." If it's a friends problem, it might be remedied if you receive a bid, but sorority life will NOT make everything perfect, and you shouldn't expect it to. If it's a money problem, you should be aware by this point of how much you'll be able to fix it.

Okay and for the BIG topic of discussion haha Correct me if i am mistaken, but just because you accept a bid, doesn't mean you are initiated. There is a time period in between and you can drop before you are initiated and have no further permanent ties with that group. I want to try it out because I feel it will help me blossom in my current school so I will no longer want to transfer. If I was happy enough to initiate with that group, I wouldn't leave them. If your social/friends life is the ONLY reason you want to leave, that's fine. But again, don't put all the pressure on a sorority to make things not suck anymore. That is unrealistic.

Also, going into pledging with an attitude of "if this doesn't do enough for me, I can drop out" is not giving it your whole heart. Not giving it your whole heart is not going to have good consequences.

My question was in fact, that if I didn't like my school after trying things out, if I even receive a bid at all, would it be impossible for a Junior (that is what i will be IF i transfer in the fall) to get a bid. The SEC school I am considering as an alternative has many options for greek life. Are ALL sororities that strict about receiving Jrs.? SEC schools have many many many beautiful, accomplished, high-GPA FRESHMEN women chomping at the bit to join them. These freshmen women will, theoretically, provide them with 4 years' worth of involvement and dues. If you're only going to provide them with 2 years' worth of those things, you need to show that their ROI is going to be worth taking a chance on you.