GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 299,927
Threads: 114,203
Posts: 2,151,437
Welcome to our newest member, ygumbrxprl
» Online Users: 249
1 members and 248 guests
vuwhgotjfk
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Kirain Kirain is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31
How to impress a frat?

So I'm a third year and I'm not a transfer student. My friends from freshman and sophomore year didn't like the greek system so I was always scared of rushing. Long story short, I decided it's time for me to do things for myself and stop thinking what other people thought.

So anyways, I approached one of the top houses today and I could tell they weren't too enthusiastic about me. I went in not realizing they were one of the top houses and I'm not sure if I left an impression. They asked if I played any sports (which I didn't) and one of the bros completely turned his back on me to chat with a couple freshman. In the end, two of the bros told me I should go to info night and stuff but I could tell they just told me because they were polite.

I don't even know if I would want to join them even IF I got a bid from them (I heard they do some serious hazing stuff) but I wish I could at least be in good standings with them so I can have more options.

So suggestions on how I can impress these "cool kids from high school" type of frat?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-27-2011, 07:04 PM
BraveMaroon BraveMaroon is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 746
For starters, don't refer to them as a frat.
__________________
Live with Heart

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Kirain Kirain is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
For starters, don't refer to them as a frat.

What's that suppose to mean?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-27-2011, 07:34 PM
DeltaBetaBaby DeltaBetaBaby is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ILL-INI
Posts: 7,176
Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirain View Post
So I'm a third year and I'm not a transfer student. My friends from freshman and sophomore year didn't like the greek system so I was always scared of rushing. Long story short, I decided it's time for me to do things for myself and stop thinking what other people thought.

So anyways, I approached one of the top houses today and I could tell they weren't too enthusiastic about me. I went in not realizing they were one of the top houses and I'm not sure if I left an impression. They asked if I played any sports (which I didn't) and one of the bros completely turned his back on me to chat with a couple freshman. In the end, two of the bros told me I should go to info night and stuff but I could tell they just told me because they were polite.

I don't even know if I would want to join them even IF I got a bid from them (I heard they do some serious hazing stuff) but I wish I could at least be in good standings with them so I can have more options.

So suggestions on how I can impress these "cool kids from high school" type of frat?
Why do you want to impress a fraternity that isn't interested in you? Why don't you look at other groups that may actually like you?

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 09-27-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-27-2011, 07:35 PM
AnotherKD AnotherKD is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirain View Post
What's that suppose to mean?
*supposed

Also, it is "fraternity", not "frat". That's what it is supposed to mean.
__________________
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-27-2011, 07:39 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirain View Post
So suggestions on how I can impress these "cool kids from high school" type of frat?
You're in college. Stop acting like you're in high school. Find a fraternity (calling it a frat is tacky and trashy) with brothers (calling them bros is tacky, trashy and overly familiar) that are interested in you and what you have to offer.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil

Last edited by 33girl; 09-27-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-27-2011, 07:41 PM
knight_shadow knight_shadow is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Why do you want to impress a fraternity that isn't interested in you? Why don't you look at other groups that may actually like you?
I agree.
__________________
*does side bends and sit-ups*
*doesn't lose butt*

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-27-2011, 09:09 PM
thetalady's Avatar
thetalady thetalady is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Big D
Posts: 2,606
I have decided that all of these newbies who come on & start their posts with "So..." followed by a completely ridiculous question are the same troll. Notice how many of them do that?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Kirain Kirain is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I have decided that all of these newbies who come on & start their posts with "So..." followed by a completely ridiculous question are the same troll. Notice how many of them do that?
I am asking a legitimate question. I know the people on here have said why not just join the fraternity that you like and one that likes you back...but honestly, everyone wants to be in a good respected fraternity. That means top houses are more desirable even if the initial connection isn't all that great. It's natural, just like people want to rub shoulders with celebrities, rushees want to be associated with top houses.

Obviously a fraternity's social status isn't everything. But it does make a difference, say for example if their personalities seem just "ok" but I got a bid for the top houses, I would probably pick that over a fraternity with "great" personality but gives out bids to everyone.

Last edited by Kirain; 09-27-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Kirain Kirain is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
You're in college. Stop acting like you're in high school. Find a fraternity (calling it a frat is tacky and trashy) with brothers (calling them bros is tacky, trashy and overly familiar) that are interested in you and what you have to offer.

Thank you for being helpful. I did not know that, I will refer to them as fraternity from now on.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-27-2011, 09:56 PM
MysticCat MysticCat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: A dark and very expensive forest
Posts: 12,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirain View Post
I am asking a legitimate question. I know the people on here have said why not just join the fraternity that you like and one that likes you back...but honestly, everyone wants to be in a good respected fraternity. That means top houses are more desirable even if the initial connection isn't all that great.
No, honestly everyone does not. You want to be in the fraternity where you fit best. Who cares if that's not the "top" house. (And whose opinion of "top" counts?)

Bottom line -- you won't impress them by trying to impress them. It doesn't work that way. Be yourself, or both you and they are in for disappointment later. If you want brotherhood, then go for the group where you think you'll find that and where they see that potential in you. But if all you want is status and image, then by all means focus on the "top" house.
__________________
AMONG MEN HARMONY
1898
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-28-2011, 12:39 AM
DrPhil DrPhil is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Find a fraternity (calling it a frat is tacky and trashy because the particular council-conference-culture of fraternities that you are talking about do not use "frat")....
There you go.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-28-2011, 01:12 AM
jazing jazing is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 358
Better suggestion ...

Join a fraternity for the brotherhood, and make it have that star image.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-29-2011, 04:36 PM
steveg steveg is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 17
Joining a "FRATERNITY" can be life changing!

Why?

You meet guys you know now and after graduation. It is called networking.

But, while they may not be one of the large ones, the important part ie do you fit with them?

That is important.
What can you give them and visversa?

Hey, I only know it was uplifting for me!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-29-2011, 04:55 PM
DubaiSis DubaiSis is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Back in the Heartland
Posts: 5,383
If there are more than just a few fraternities on your campus, there are probably a few "top" chapters, a few "bottom" chapters, and several chapters that would be perfectly respectable. Cast a wider net.
__________________
"Traveling - It leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller. ~ Ibn Battuta
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need HELP! What questions/answers to ask/give to impress the members during RUSH? frat Fraternity Recruitment 8 09-15-2009 12:48 AM
Frat on BET BluBlaZon Phi Beta Sigma 1 07-18-2006 12:27 AM
If I were a frat guy... DZbabeMKB Delta Zeta 3 02-22-2005 07:55 PM
What's up Frat? Stacy Waldon Phi Beta Sigma 13 04-10-2002 05:16 PM
FRAT Cyrus Recruitment 3 10-22-1999 08:15 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.