GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,091
Threads: 114,207
Posts: 2,151,491
Welcome to our newest member, bpitypitt4437
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-19-2011, 02:50 AM
hornqvist27 hornqvist27 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
Hardly drink.. should I even bother?

First of all, I just want to say that I know absolutely nothing about the recruitment process of Fraternities. However, Iím extremely interested in joining a frat at my school.

The problem here is that I hardly drink, and Iíve been drunk once and I hated it. Iím interested in joining a frat because of things far beyond partying and drinking, because I see the long term benefits and bonds that are formed. I go to parties, I have fun, and my best friend from high school was a borderline alcoholic lol. Its nothing that I havenít seen before, and I actually enjoy being around it. But as for consuming, its just not for me. (I do drink casually, but not enough to become intoxicated)

Also, Iím a sophomore. I read somewhere that could hurt? Not sure why. But my grades are solid. Basically Iíve realized after about a year of school that Iím not happy with the routine Iíve settled into and the people Iím surrounded by. I have no problem meeting people, but the friends Iíve made just arenít like me. I like sports, I like to play basketball, I like girls. Most ĎGDIsí are just.... well.... nerdy, and not like me. Odds are if youíre reading this, youíre in a frat/surrority and you completely love it (Iíve never heard of anyone regretting joining). Imagine living in a new city feeling completely out of place. And if I just say Ďscrew ití and start drinking heavily, Iíll feel like Iíve lost a bit of my individuality which I value highly.

So basically, I just want to know more about recruitment. The main frat around here looks like Alpha Tau Omega. Although thereís a loooot more (University of Tennessee). If I stick to my guns, will that automatically kill my chances? Or should I just not bother, and continue to hate my friends? ha

Be brutally honest. If you need more information for some reason, ask. And if you read all of this, I appreciate you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-19-2011, 04:47 AM
excelblue excelblue is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornqvist27
First of all, I just want to say that I know absolutely nothing about the recruitment process of Fraternities. However, Iím extremely interested in joining a frat at my school.
Glad you're interested. It differs depending on the school, but for most campuses, it's basically up to the individual fraternities to do recruitment. I heavily suggest consulting with your school's Greek Life Office for more information.

The usual case is that you meet people from the chapters you're interested in, and if they think you're a good fit, they will offer you a bid, or a formal invitation to join.

Also, please be aware that there are people who may find "frat" to be offensive. It's advised that you say the full word: fraternity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornqvist27
The problem here is that I hardly drink, and Iíve been drunk once and I hated it. Iím interested in joining a frat because of things far beyond partying and drinking, because I see the long term benefits and bonds that are formed. I go to parties, I have fun, and my best friend from high school was a borderline alcoholic lol. Its nothing that I havenít seen before, and I actually enjoy being around it. But as for consuming, its just not for me. (I do drink casually, but not enough to become intoxicated)
I actually don't drink either. To be completely honest, there are some chapters that only drink and party (those don't stay around long), but there are at least as many that are about the friendships/bonds and live up to their values. If you join one of those (which I recommend), they will respect your desire to not drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornqvist27
Also, Iím a sophomore. I read somewhere that could hurt? Not sure why. But my grades are solid. Basically Iíve realized after about a year of school that Iím not happy with the routine Iíve settled into and the people Iím surrounded by. I have no problem meeting people, but the friends Iíve made just arenít like me. I like sports, I like to play basketball, I like girls. Most ĎGDIsí are just.... well.... nerdy, and not like me. Odds are if youíre reading this, youíre in a frat/surrority and you completely love it (Iíve never heard of anyone regretting joining). Imagine living in a new city feeling completely out of place. And if I just say Ďscrew ití and start drinking heavily, Iíll feel like Iíve lost a bit of my individuality which I value highly.
If you're truly a good fit for a chapter, why wouldn't they give you a bid? Chapters often desire younger people because they can be a contributing member for a longer period of time, but sophomores are no issue. Don't worry about it.

Joining a fraternity is not about losing your individuality; it's about forming a brotherhood with people who share the same values as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornqvist27
So basically, I just want to know more about recruitment. The main frat around here looks like Alpha Tau Omega. Although thereís a loooot more (University of Tennessee). If I stick to my guns, will that automatically kill my chances? Or should I just not bother, and continue to hate my friends? ha

Be brutally honest. If you need more information for some reason, ask. And if you read all of this, I appreciate you.
I suggest that you check out all the chapters that you think you may be interested in. Even if you don't get bids from them, you will likely still end up with new friends.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-19-2011, 09:45 AM
LaneSig LaneSig is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,883
There are fraternity members who choose not to drink or just 1 or 2 drinks and not get drunk. I was one of them. It will depend on your attitude. If you are at a rush party and it comes up, a good reply is: "I like having a good time, but I just don't care to drink. It's just not for me." This is also a good attitude to have if you get a bid and pledge. If you tell the brothers: "Y'all are a bunch of drunks - I'm so much better because I don't drink" (example, not saying that's your attitude), you'll either find yourself without a bid or a very lonely member.

Like I said, I was one of several members of my chapter who chose not to drink or drink very little. None of us made a big deal about it and none of the drinking brothers ever gave us grief over it. In fact, on a road trip to another chapter, a brother from that chapter began pressuring me to drink and made some mocking comments. Two of my chapter brothers stepped in and let the guy know that his actions weren't cool and very un-brotherly. It was good to know that they had my back.
__________________
Sigma Chi. Friendship, Justice, and Learning since 1855.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-19-2011, 03:27 PM
hornqvist27 hornqvist27 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
Wow, thanks guys. Its really awesome to hear that there are some guys like me that got in and enjoyed every bit of it. I want that to be me.

I think I'm gonna go for it in the spring. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-19-2011, 03:29 PM
hornqvist27 hornqvist27 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
I also was unaware that 'frat' could be offensive. Thats good to know lol thanks for the heads up.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-26-2011, 11:45 AM
dmasterson dmasterson is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5
I also found that getting drunk was not really "me" and in general would not drink. When you are meeting members during rush I would be open and honest and politely (but firmly) decline offers to drink. If they don't back down or continually insist that you drink that is probably a warning sign that that particular chapter is not for you in the long run. If I met a potential new member who was interested in joining, didn't drink much, and had solid grades I would bid them in a heartbeat as it's those men that help build a lasting chapter and bonds. Men that simply continue the stigma generated from Animal House and want to do nothing but drink are the ones that can ruin a chapter. Good luck!
__________________
ΘX
Η Chapter re-founding father
The University of Rhode Island
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-26-2011, 05:43 PM
lucgreek lucgreek is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmasterson View Post
If I met a potential new member who was interested in joining, didn't drink much, and had solid grades I would bid them in a heartbeat as it's those men that help build a lasting chapter and bonds. Men that simply continue the stigma generated from Animal House and want to do nothing but drink are the ones that can ruin a chapter. Good luck!
Not always true.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-27-2011, 12:55 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucgreek View Post
Not always true.
The I would bid them in a heartbeat part or they're the ones who build a lasting chapter/heavy drinkers ruin it part?

I completely agree that there are people who joined with no intention other than partying and ended up being the most dedicated brothers or sisters around. To dismiss someone because his/her intentions aren't completely lofty and high-minded is silly.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-27-2011, 01:29 PM
DTD Alum DTD Alum is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 238
Frankly, call me crazy but I also think a chapter NEEDS some extremely fun guys who are all about partying and aren't planning on holding offices. It keeps the morale up and makes events, well, fun! You can have all the high achievers in the world, but if you are pledging mostly guys who are not into partying it's going to feel more like a business than a fraternity. There were guys in our house who never held a position who gave more to their fraternity than some who did simply because they brought a level of energy, extroversion and novelty that we would have lacked otherwise.

That being said, if you don't drink it's not going to be a problem for a lot of chapters. We definitely pledged guys who didn't drink, some stayed sober until graduation and some developed into borderline alcoholics one month into pledging. If you're worried about peer pressure, take a close look at the chapter vibe. Some chapters are going to have a much heavier focus on partying than others.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-27-2011, 01:31 PM
DTD Alum DTD Alum is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by excelblue View Post
I actually don't drink either. To be completely honest, there are some chapters that only drink and party (those don't stay around long), but there are at least as many that are about the friendships/bonds and live up to their values.
Oh come on, you know as well as anybody that that is not true.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-27-2011, 02:19 PM
lucgreek lucgreek is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The I would bid them in a heartbeat part or they're the ones who build a lasting chapter/heavy drinkers ruin it part?

I completely agree that there are people who joined with no intention other than partying and ended up being the most dedicated brothers or sisters around. To dismiss someone because his/her intentions aren't completely lofty and high-minded is silly.
The 'heavy drinkers ruin it' part.

Some of my chapter's most dedicated, hardworking people have been ridiculous party animals. Some of our most worthless members have been those who don't party/drink.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-25-2011, 04:41 PM
jazing jazing is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 358
In my current pledge class, we have a 24 year old, a 17 year old, and several kids who just had their first drink at the bid party (including myself). If you want tojoin a frat understand there are parties, and drinking does occur. However, most times your pledge will be dry.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-25-2011, 05:08 PM
knight_shadow knight_shadow is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
In my current pledge class, we have a 24 year old, a 17 year old, and several kids who just had their first drink at the bid party (including myself). If you want tojoin a frat understand there are parties, and drinking does occur. However, most times your pledge will be dry.
That depends.
__________________
*does side bends and sit-ups*
*doesn't lose butt*

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-25-2011, 05:13 PM
jazing jazing is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
That depends.
ATO and ADA are the only wet pledges on campus. Of course, there are times when you might be allowed.

Chapters had some trouble with facebook several years back ... risk management is very important.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-25-2011, 05:22 PM
knight_shadow knight_shadow is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
ATO and ADA are the only wet pledges on campus. Of course, there are times when you might be allowed.

Chapters had some trouble with facebook several years back ... risk management is very important.
Yes, risk management is important, but that doesn't stop college students from doing dumb things. Even if chapters are dry on paper, some folks still bend the rules. So, it depends.
__________________
*does side bends and sit-ups*
*doesn't lose butt*

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I bother trying? superstars333 Sorority Recruitment 34 07-13-2008 07:30 PM
Should I even bother because I'm so much older? chellybelle84 Recruitment 14 06-19-2006 09:15 PM
GDI...does it bother anyone else? stargirl725 Greek Life 53 10-17-2005 10:06 AM
Tell me if this would bother you. Blue Violet Greek Life 33 11-13-2002 02:30 PM
should i bother? scaredperson Recruitment 6 07-08-2002 12:02 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.