GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 297,148
Threads: 114,113
Posts: 2,150,345
Welcome to our newest member, zfypwtnz
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-17-2011, 01:15 PM
deacon14 deacon14 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
Rushing as a Sophomore

I go to a small-medium sized southern school (Wake Forest), and we have deferred rush. Due to many circumstances last semester, Formal recruitment did not work out as I'd hoped.

Many (most) of my friends joined sororities, and I'd still like to be a part of my school's greek system. We have both fall (informal) rush and formal rush in the spring. I know that informal rush is a lot less, well, formal (duh) than formal recruitment, but I am also aware that there are fewer spots in each sorority, making it a much more competitive process.

I am faced with two options--fall recruitment and spring recruitment. I would rather do formal recruitment in the spring because I feel as if I would have a better chance at getting one of the houses I want in the Spring. I also would like to use this semester to meet more people and bring my GPA up a few points. However, I'm not sure on Wake's general opinion on sophomores rushing in the Spring. Does anyone know if this is looked down upon? Would I need more recs this year?
I'm a little embarassed to go through formal recruitment again--I know it sounds stupid, but rush was pretty difficult last spring and I just want some input on it before I decide either way.

Any advice from anyone would be much appreciated Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-17-2011, 09:19 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,304
Did you drop out or were you cut from all the groups?

If you are already thinking of the "houses you want" at a competitive campus like WFU, you most likely will not have a successful recruitment - fall OR spring.

If you have close friends in sororities, let them know that you're rushing.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-17-2011, 10:17 PM
deacon14 deacon14 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
i dropped out of the rush process because i was cut from all sororities except 1, and i truly felt uncomfortable at that house. i did not accept a bid or go to pref night. i didn't mean to state that i already have "favorite houses," there is really just one house where i felt extremely uncomfortable and the rest i am happy to keep an open mind about. i have had a few of my upperclassmen friends say that i should rush again, but i know i need to take what they say with a grain of salt. there were a lot of factors that went into why i was cut from some places. i didn't take the time to get to know the sororities last year as i should have, or work extremely hard on my gpa. that is what i was hoping to do this semester.
thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-18-2011, 09:02 AM
als463 als463 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon14 View Post
i dropped out of the rush process because i was cut from all sororities except 1, and i truly felt uncomfortable at that house. i did not accept a bid or go to pref night. i didn't mean to state that i already have "favorite houses," there is really just one house where i felt extremely uncomfortable and the rest i am happy to keep an open mind about. i have had a few of my upperclassmen friends say that i should rush again, but i know i need to take what they say with a grain of salt. there were a lot of factors that went into why i was cut from some places. i didn't take the time to get to know the sororities last year as i should have, or work extremely hard on my gpa. that is what i was hoping to do this semester.
thanks for your input!
Well, then I don't feel sorry for you. You had the opportunity to join one and you turned it down. Just think, that ONE chapter you turned down (most likely do to be ranked lower) is ranked very high at other universities. If only one sorority wanted you---what makes you think that you deserve a better sorority the next time around? If you didn't have a good GPA and didn't care enough to get to know the sororities (especially the ONE you thought you were too good for), then I don't feel sorry for you. Going Greek at ANY school is an honor.

I just wanted to add that ALL of the NPCs have "higher-ranked" and "lower-ranked" chapters but, my belief remains the same---EVERY NPC has something to offer.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-18-2011, 09:23 AM
DubaiSis DubaiSis is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Back in the Heartland
Posts: 5,379
Yes, but how do you really feel? Not that I disagree...
__________________
"Traveling - It leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller. ~ Ibn Battuta
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-18-2011, 09:29 AM
als463 als463 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Yes, but how do you really feel? Not that I disagree...
Hahahah, that's why I like you DubaiSis. It could be ANY NPC that she turned down and I still feel like some of these girls who go through recruitment and think they are "too good" for whatever GLO--should really be ashamed of themselves. I am only talking about NPC and not NPHC because they have a different way of joining but, I still think highly of the NPHC, as well. Everyone needs to stop with this, "I didn't feel a connection" b.s. they hand out. We are all intelligent people on this forum. You don't think we can read between the lines? If only ONE chapter called you back--I'm thinking it's not because you "couldn't feel a connection" but, you chose to not return because they weren't popular enough for you.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-18-2011, 09:35 AM
deacon14 deacon14 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
I just want to say that the only reason I came onto this website was for constructive advice on what I should do about my rushing situation. als465, I find your post incredibly assumptive and hurtful. In fact, the sorority I was left with was not one which I deemed "not good enough" in any way--I actually have many friends in that sorority--rather, I did not want to invest time and money (as every sorority requires) in a sorority that did not absolutely make my heart sing, and I do not regret my decision at all--if given the same situation again, I would have done the same thing.
Thank you for your input, but I believe I will be seeking advice on the subject from other sources. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Splash Splash is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 365
Could you do both? Could you do fall informal and if you end up with a bid to a group, you could join and if you don't, you could do formal in the spring? I would get recs in both situations because why not?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-18-2011, 10:33 AM
als463 als463 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon14 View Post
I just want to say that the only reason I came onto this website was for constructive advice on what I should do about my rushing situation. als465, I find your post incredibly assumptive and hurtful. In fact, the sorority I was left with was not one which I deemed "not good enough" in any way--I actually have many friends in that sorority--rather, I did not want to invest time and money (as every sorority requires) in a sorority that did not absolutely make my heart sing, and I do not regret my decision at all--if given the same situation again, I would have done the same thing.
Thank you for your input, but I believe I will be seeking advice on the subject from other sources. Best wishes.
It didn't make your heart "sing" and that's why you didn't choose to take a bid? I still don't buy it. You have tons of friends in that sorority yet, it wasn't for you? Yeah, it still sounds like the "popularity" factor was what made you choose to not accept a bid. I still don't feel sorry for you.

Here is some constructive advice: Don't whine and cry on an internet forum when you didn't get a bid to a sorority that didn't make your heart "sing" when there are tons of qualified PNMs that are coming on here to share that they weren't even given a bid to anywhere. Those are the girls I feel sorry for! There are tons of women who would have jumped at the chance you had. You chose not to take it and now come on GC to whine that your heart didn't "sing" or something.

If you choose to go somewhere else to talk about how bummed out you are that (while other girls are heartbroken they didn't get a bid ANYWHERE) you only got a bid to ONE sorority that didn't make your heart "sing"--then, that's fine with me! Please, go do that!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Splash Splash is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 365
Read the first post. She didn't whine or complain or bash anyone at all. And it doesn't matter if she was dropped by every sorority or refused to join every sorority except one, she can still rerush if she wants to. She made the decision best for herself and I for one am glad she gave that spot to a girl who really appreciated it. She could have infused her question with past bitterness and immaturity, but she didn't. And she never asked anyone to feel sorry for her.

Last edited by Splash; 08-18-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-18-2011, 11:42 AM
DGTess's Avatar
DGTess DGTess is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 905
Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
Read the first post. She didn't whine or complain or bash anyone at all. And it doesn't matter if she was dropped by every sorority or refused to join every sorority except one, she can still rerush if she wants to. She made the decision best for herself and I for one am glad she gave that spot to a girl who really appreciated it. She could have infused her question with past bitterness and immaturity, but she didn't.
+1

We all know it's a "mutual" selection process. Mutual means both of them have to have the desire to continue.
__________________
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population.-Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-18-2011, 11:56 AM
shirley1929 shirley1929 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
+1

We all know it's a "mutual" selection process. Mutual means both of them have to have the desire to continue.
I have to agree here. First off, she didn't receive a bid from the one house (sounds like she got invited to pref and did not go, which I would have advised her to attend just to make sure her mind was made up). Second, had she gone to pref and signed the card (ostensibly they have guaranteed placement, though I don't know for sure) she would have been bound for one year to that house that she was more than unsure about. Thus, she wouldn't be able to go through informal right now.

Furthermore, by withdrawing, she freed up a slot for someone that house did make her "heart sing". I really see nothing wrong with any of it.

OP - I say go for informal and just see what happens!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-18-2011, 01:02 PM
MaggieXi MaggieXi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 790
My information comes second hand from my cousin who an alum of Wake and a sorority member.

She said that some sophmores do receive bids every year, but not all who register will be placed. The sophmores who do get bids are usually well known by the sisters in that group specifically, have stellar grades and are very involved with the school and have not rushed previously. The ones who have rushed previously tend to be scrutinized a little more. It's not impossible, but you have to be the all around total package and be willing to take the invites/bid you are given and roll with it and make the best of your particular situation.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Optimus Prime Optimus Prime is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon14 View Post
I just want to say that the only reason I came onto this website was for constructive advice on what I should do about my rushing situation. als465, I find your post incredibly assumptive and hurtful. In fact, the sorority I was left with was not one which I deemed "not good enough" in any way--I actually have many friends in that sorority--rather, I did not want to invest time and money (as every sorority requires) in a sorority that did not absolutely make my heart sing, and I do not regret my decision at all--if given the same situation again, I would have done the same thing.
Thank you for your input, but I believe I will be seeking advice on the subject from other sources. Best wishes.
Will you also get mad when they give you their opinion as well? You asked for it, and got it, so don't be mad. Not everyone is going to give you a lollipop when you are sad. Go through informal and if it doesn't work out, give formal another shot. You turned down the one sorority that was willing to give you a chance and that is not easily forgotten. They probably won't give you a chance again. You can't be picky when your chances are slim.
__________________
“You may look around and see two groups here: white collar, blue collar. But I don’t see it that way, and you know why not? Because I am collar-blind." -Michael Scott
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-18-2011, 01:44 PM
deacon14 deacon14 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
thank you everyone for your input! MaggieXi, your post was especially helpful. I'm still yet undecided on whether I will do formal or informal recruitment, because I would really like to bump up my GPA before rushing again. I have a couple weeks to decide, though. And, Optimusprime, I must add that I am not at all angry at anyone's opinions--I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't a) being whiny and looking down upon organizations or b) asking anyone to feel sorry for me in the first place. Just wanted to see if anyone knew the formal rush climate for a sophomore. thanks again everyone for your input! hope you all have a great year!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rushing as a Sophomore?! calicutie13 Recruitment 11 07-20-2011 08:49 AM
sophomore rushing, need help! lovely1919 Sorority Recruitment 15 07-21-2010 04:04 AM
Sophomore Rushing UT happyunlessbore Sorority Recruitment 11 07-03-2010 01:27 PM
Sophomore Rushing luvedward Sorority Recruitment 29 01-15-2010 01:15 PM
Rushing as a sophomore demonice Fraternity Recruitment 5 02-16-2009 02:12 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.