GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 933
1 members and 932 guests
No Members online

Old 08-14-2011, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

University of Missouri Recruitment 2011

1600+ girls move in Sunday, August 14th, and recruitment begins Monday, August 15th. Are there any Mizzou parents or PMs out there who would like to share their recruitment stories as they unfold? My daughter is going through as a sophomore - a bit more challenging but not impossible. I will try to share her updates as I get them.

Here are the 14 chapters at Mizzou:
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Phi
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Phi Mu
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Zeta Tau Alpha

I thought I would use code names for the chapters based on sterling silver patterns (inspired by A Southern Belle Primer ). These are, of course, in a different order than the list above.
Rose Point
Chantilly
Strasbourg
Candlelight
Repousse
Eloquence
Old Master
Burgundy
Buttercup
Chrysanthemum
Grande Baroque
Fairfax
Acorn
Francis I

I can tell you that my daughter is a legacy to two chapters - Grande Baroque and Repousse. However, one of those chapters has reported that its legacy enrollment is double this year's chapter quota . My daughter is well aware that being a legacy does not guarantee anything and that cuts will be heavy. The other thing I'll share is that last year, as a freshman, she made some very good friends in Rose Point, and they are really pulling for her.

That's all for now - I'd love for any and all to join in the discussion!

Last edited by MizzouMom; 08-15-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

How exciting! Best of luck to your daughter. My daughter starts rush in two weeks. I'll be following your daughters story.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm curious to know if you are a Grand Baroque or a Repousse or is it someone else in your family? If your are a member is that making it more difficult for you? Are you secretly hoping she'll pledge your chapter?
Old 08-14-2011, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes - my daughter is a legacy to one of the chapters through me, and the other through my mother. I would be delighted if she chose my chapter, but equally as happy if she found a home in any of the other 13 chapters - they are all outstanding, and if she is happy, I am happy!

Information from the greek life director at today's parent meeting:
  • Official number of PMs is 1652.
  • Historically, 85-87% of PMs get bids.
  • Most PMs who drop out of recruitment are not actually released - they choose to drop out.
If I've done my math correctly and the 85-87% figure is true this year, new member classes should be ~100! I can't even imagine.

All PMs have a meeting tonight at 7:00, and open house parties start tomorrow. The schedule is as follows:
  • Monday and Tuesday - Open House (visit all 14 chapters)
  • Wednesday - Sisterhood Day (up to 11 parties)
  • Thursday - Philanthropy Day (up to 7 parties)
  • Friday - Preference Day (up to 3 parties)
  • Saturday - Bid Day
Old 08-14-2011, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, Candlelight is my pattern (inherited from my maternal grandmother), and Strasbourg is my mother's pattern, so those are my two picks for now.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

My pattern (which I've given to Gypsyboots) is Grande Baroque - so that's who I am hoping is Gamma Phi!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

i love your code name choices!!! i am really looking forward to reading this-what fun. best wishes to your daughter!!.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

My pattern is Old Master. I also have my late MIL's silver since ex did not want to take it when he left. That is Grand Baroque.

DaffyKD
Old 08-14-2011, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll root for Fairfax. (12 place settings of which I inherited from my grandmother. They were married in 1909, but FF wasn't issued until 1910...I think she purchased it later.)

And I'll enjoy this thread, remembering my Mizzou rush experience oh-so-long ago.

Last edited by AGDAlum; 08-16-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: update information
Old 08-15-2011, 07:41 AM
GreekChat Member

First day of open house is today! The weather looks to be cooperative all week - highs in the upper 80s. As we have all been reminded this summer, it could be much worse! All of the PMs met last night at Jesse Auditorium and the Panhellenic Counselors (pi chis) provided some entertainment. My daughter reported that she enjoyed meeting all the girls in her group, and that there are several other sophomores. She also said that four girls who were registered for her group hadn't reported in as of last night. I wonder if this is common? Maybe some register to hold a spot and then decide against participating. Anyway, a busy day ahead with seven parties, the last of which is Grande Baroque, one of her legacy chapters. She promises to call tonight with details!

Last edited by MizzouMom; 08-15-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm rooting for Acorn! It's my silver pattern that I inherited from my grandmother...I've got a complete set of service for 12 of it!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
Well, let's see...
I'm a good northerner, so I had to get out my "Southern Belle Primer" to go over the patterns again to see what I think I'd like.

They don't show Candlelight or Fairfax, so I don't know about those.

I know I'd have to have a Reed & Barton... so that means Francis I or Burgundy. Based on the descriptions, I think I'll go for Francis I.

However, I was also drawn to Acorn's description: "Acorn: Georg Jensen. Beware of the Acorn girl. This pattern is lovely but foreign (it comes from Denmark). Girls who pick Acorn are rebellious. They march in parades and sometimes have been known to go to colleges in the East and drink beer straight from the can."
Schwartz, Maryln A Southern Belle Primer, Or Why Princess Margaret Will Never Be A Kappa Kappa Gamma (c) 1991

Too funny- "march in parades," "drink beer straight from the can!" The horror! AND FOREIGN!

So, go Francis I & Acorn!

TEII
Old 08-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Gotta hope that Grand Baroque is ADPi - or Eloquence. I was completely torn, and my mother's was discontinued.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Great idea to use sterling patterns for chapters! My younger sister (not Greek) got my mother's set of Grande Baroque because she got married first. Sigh - I wanted it.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

finished with day one of open house

I just spoke with my daughter, and she said she is having a great time! She is worn out after visiting eight chapters today. Fortunately, she has just six events tomorrow, so there is more break time built in. The sororities host 20 open house events over two days, and the PMs attend 14 events spread out over those two days. Here are her first impressions - some of the information is from our phone conversation, and some is from text messages she sent me throughout the day.

Acorn - connected with the girl who walked her in as they are both runners, also met a couple of other girls
Buttercup - talked about choir with one girl but otherwise she said the conversations with other girls were kind of generic
Candlelight - she sent me a text right after this party saying she "love love loved" Candlelight (then texted me three minutes later and said "did I mention I LOVE Candlelight?") - had a conversation with a girl she played soccer against in high school, said she felt like she really bonded with each girl she talked with
Old Master - she spilled water all over her leg at this chapter and said it was embarrassing, talked with three different girls
Burgundy - talked with the same girl the whole time, said they kind of ran out of stuff to talk about and she was kind of the one keeping the conversation going
Fairfax - described them as super nice and easy to talk to, spoke with five different girls and said that the president and vice president made a point of meeting her
Francis I - very friendly, saw a girl she knew but didn't get to talk with her, did get to meet several other girls
Grande Baroque - talked with the same girl the whole time, and said they bonded instantly (over a television show they are both "obsessed" with)

The chapters she felt the strongest connection with were:
Candlelight
Fairfax
Grande Baroque
Acorn

Tomorrow, she gets to visit her other legacy chapter, Repousse, and see her friends in Rose Point. She will also visit Chantilly, Eloquence, Strasbourg, and Chrysanthemum.