GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,131
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodap
» Online Users: 1,249
2 members and 1,247 guests
navane, Yodap

Old 08-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

I know. And heaven knows, Miss Bowl Queen with a 2.0 is more desirable to many chapters than a normally attractive legacy with great activities and a 4.0, lol!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Part of the education of our sorority members has to be to instill a more panhellenic spirit. I believe myself second to none in my love for Gamma Phi. However, I know that each and every one of the other 25 NPC group could offer my daughters every bit as much love, leadership training, sisterhood and fun as Gamma Phi.

I still hope to get at least one Gamma Phi, but if I don't, I'm okay with that. My youngest wants to go to a school which doesn't have Gamma Phi, so she'll probably end up a ZTA, Phi Mu or Chi O (if really great recs and contacts count)- or maybe even one of the others. I would be thrilled no matter which one.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:28 PM
NUKaydee

What about the legacies that clearly don't fit in with the chapter? Or the legacies with not-so-great GPAs and no activities. My chapter would definitely chose a gorgeous, 4.0 GPA, student leader over a legacy with mediocre grades, no activities, who doesn't seem especially interested in us. I think it goes both ways. Just because you're a legacy, doesn't mean you deserve to be a member of a chapter. Yes, we may give you the benefit of the doubt or an extra chance, but if a legacy doesn't click with us, we won't give her a bid.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

At the school I help out with, it's always interesting to see what organizations have more legacies come through because it's listed on their registration. There are 2 organizations that always have 10-20 legacies come through every year, where as other chapters might only have about 5 max. This campus's quota is typically in the 30-45 range.

I have also seen PNMs not list their legacy affiliation because they either did not want to be part of that group on this campus or they felt that they wanted a fair shot at all groups. Then on bid day, you come to find out from an alum or the PNM herself that she was a legacy.

I also can't stand "legacy poaching". Mainly going after a legacy of your rival just because you want to screw them over. If the legacy really likes the other group than that's fine and it's her decision.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUKaydee View Post
Yes, we may give you the benefit of the doubt or an extra chance, but if a legacy doesn't click with us, we won't give her a bid.
And that's all I'm asking.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
I do recognize and agree with you that a "top rushing chapter" usually pledges their own legacies, but that never stopped me from trying!
This is something I try to educate my girls on every year. Just because a PNm is a legacy to another chapter on campus does not mean we give up on her. We just recruit her harder. Just like with us, she is not guaranteed a bid to her legacy chapter and she should be warmly recruited at our functions.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again: according to my observations, the alumna who throws the biggest hissy fit about her daughter being cut is typically the one who has been the LEAST involved in the sorority (not in an alumnae chapter, doesn't volunteer) and is the least familiar with our policy.
Quoted because I think it's awesome.

There is a relatively recent thread about NPC legacy policies. Most NPCs state that "An ABC legacy deserves serious consideration because she is familiar with ABC, has grown up in an ABC environment, etc." But, how much does JessicaLegacy really know about ABC if all her mom did was look at her ABC scrapbook and reminisce about her college days? Her mom did not display a lifelong commitment to ABC or even, truly, lifelong membership. There will probably come a time when those legacies are not as sought after.

The legacies a chapter works for will be the "mega-legs" (as coined by a Phi Mu in another thread)-those legacies whose mom is a dedicated alumnae member who served on boards, worked with collegiate chapters, was involved with the alumnae chapter, etc. MegaLegLindsey has grown up in an ABC environment, is familiar with ABC, and has seen true lifelong membership and dedication displayed to her.

MegaLegLindsey is the true definition of a legacy whereas JessicaLegacy is the exact opposite.

Which legacy deserves more consideration when there are more legacies than quota? I think the choice, for most chapters, is clear.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

The sad thing is that many of us have seen many MegaLegLindseys cut for no discernible reason other than "she was looking across the room", etc.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
The sad thing is that many of us have seen many MegaLegLindseys cut for no discernible reason other than "she was looking across the room", etc.
my favorite explanation is :"we thought she would feel more comfortable elsewhere."
Old 08-09-2011, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^I am almost speechless to those statements.

I know all NPCs have different policies, but aren't chapter advisers involved on some level when it come to legacies? If not, the adviser could at least council the chapter on how to consider legacies. Keeping MegaLegLindsey as long as a chapter can without having to bid her (ie--cut before prefs) is a courtsey, I think, was earned through her mom's dedication.

If I am able to continue to stay involved with AGD, I would hope my involvement would cause a chapter to give my (not yet conceived) daughter serious consideration.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
my favorite explanation is :"we thought she would feel more comfortable elsewhere."
This was a quote from a southern belle: "Her star would shine brighter in another chapter"
Old 08-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Or no chapter because everyone thought, especially since her mom was MegaAlum, that she would be pledging her legacy chapter.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Or no chapter because everyone thought, especially since her mom was MegaAlum, that she would be pledging her legacy chapter.
that is what usually ends up happening, especially if the legacy chapter strings her along until the day before prefs and then releases her.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
If not, the adviser could at least council the chapter on how to consider legacies. Keeping MegaLegLindsey as long as a chapter can without having to bid her (ie--cut before prefs) is a courtsey, I think, was earned through her mom's dedication.
If the chapter is really not interested in the legacy, this would almost be worse. You're taking away a visit to a chapter that may love to have that woman and you are stringing her along.

----
When I was president, we always reviewed the legacy policy at important points during recruitment and the subsequent membership selection process, but that was as far as I went to "force" it.

I think if a girl only gets a bid because she's a legacy, you start down a bad road. If Legacy has a bad experience in her chapter (because she really doesn't belong there), you risk alienating both her and her active mother or sister. It's better for her to find a fit where she truly belongs.

If that's the legacy chapter, wonderful. That's where I'm hoping my daughter(s) will end up. However, I'd rather have the opportunity to bond with my daughters over our fabulous experiences as sorority women than over a dismal experience as a member of my sorority.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 08-09-2011, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
If the chapter is really not interested in the legacy, this would almost be worse. You're taking away a visit to a chapter that may love to have that woman and you are stringing her along.
Of course, there are obviously these cases and cases where the legacy isn't interested in the chapter. I was looking at it from the stand point that the chapter should make every effort to get to know the legacy. (And, now I'm remembering that most NPCs have in their policy that the legacy must be invited to at least one invitational round)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
However, I'd rather have the opportunity to bond with my daughters over our fabulous experiences as sorority women than over a dismal experience as a member of my sorority.
YES! This is a perfect way to put it.