GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,290
Threads: 114,210
Welcome to our newest member, bvelsyusasd9291

Old 08-14-2011, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
To say I would be babbling out of my ass after 16 parties basically doing the same thing is an understatement.
No kidding! At least it's over the course of 2 days. The Open House round (today and tomorrow) is 23 parties over 2 days. Exhausting...
Old 08-14-2011, 11:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
No kidding! At least it's over the course of 2 days. The Open House round (today and tomorrow) is 23 parties over 2 days. Exhausting...
When I was a collegian at Illinois, we had 19 groups, but then we had associate members of the CPH, so they each got to make a presentation. There were 23 rounds in all. That said, I was in a chapter that would have had to double-rush if they hadn't spread it out more like that, so we were thankful that the larger number of parties meant fewer women at each one.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
To say I would be babbling out of my ass after 16 parties basically doing the same thing is an understatement.
I hear you. We had 6 rounds on day one and I was barely mentally present at the last one. I applaud anyone who has a double digit.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But you wouldn't be because you wouldn't attend all 16 - member or PNM. The members do not work all the parties as the chapter have too many members to do that. They won't all fit in the house with the PNMs. So you get some parties off. And the PNMs can't attend that many parties no matter how many invites they get so it's cut down for them too.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:31 AM

Do the members just break up into, say, 3 groups and A & B do the first party, B & C do the second party, so on and so forth?

That does make more sense considering the size of the chapters. (Avoiding overly nebby membership selection question here.)
Old 08-15-2011, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is a senior active at Bama and all members are required to be at all parties. Hers is one of the larger chapters too. They were told Panhellenic would fine their sorority if all members were not in the house by a certain time each day. I remember that panhellenic had very strict rules about this in my day. They didn't want random actives out and about amongst the PNMs where they could potentially influence them.

Where is the information coming from about only some members going to certain parties? While it is true that once in the house there may be some dividing up of who fully participates in each party, it is my understanding that all actives must physically be in the house during rush.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

that would make more sense. maybe in the ice water rounds those not participating in a certain party will stay upstairs?
Old 08-15-2011, 11:48 AM

Being physically in the house wouldn't necessarily be the same as going to/participating in every party. I assume the girls who are "off" for a party are hanging out in their bedrooms or the kitchen or something. That's what Titchou is talking about.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
Actually, I think there are 5 extra. If I'm correct, I think they can go to a max of 11 parties and there are 16 party times.
Thanks for the correction, Shirley, you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA2 View Post
My daughter is a senior active at Bama and all members are required to be at all parties. Hers is one of the larger chapters too. They were told Panhellenic would fine their sorority if all members were not in the house by a certain time each day. I remember that panhellenic had very strict rules about this in my day. They didn't want random actives out and about amongst the PNMs where they could potentially influence them.

Where is the information coming from about only some members going to certain parties? While it is true that once in the house there may be some dividing up of who fully participates in each party, it is my understanding that all actives must physically be in the house during rush.
During DD's last year - which was admittedly 6 years ago! - I think the seniors had to be there for the open house days, but then they were pretty much excused for the rest of the week. They couldn't come in and out of the house or be on sorority row, but they didn't have to recruit.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Banned

I will never stop being amazed at the level coordination you're talking about. They have 250+ members in those (relatively) little houses all the time?! Plus advisors, parents and PNMs. It's like throwing a party in the Tokyo subway and still making sure everyone has a good time.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Being physically in the house wouldn't necessarily be the same as going to/participating in every party. I assume the girls who are "off" for a party are hanging out in their bedrooms or the kitchen or something. That's what Titchou is talking about.
Basically, being "off" meant you got to go to the back of the line, and only pick up a girl if there were that many (and there should not be that many). My sophomore year, my rush partner and I were doing too well to get a round "off".
Old 08-15-2011, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

You wouldn't have 250 girls, because you less one class. So minus however many seniors graduated in spring.

My daughter is sophomore, and this is her first recruitment as a member. I know they have all worked very hard to make this a successful week for all involved.

I know a young lady from home going through at Bama, so this is year 2 of anxiety for me. I'm also looking forward to Delta Gamma's colony recruitment, I couldn't believe there was no DG chapter when my daughter chose Alabama for school. It's the first thing I looked for.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

As you probably know, this is a recolonization for Delta Gamma. They had a chapter at Bama years ago.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I know, so glad DG is returning. Alabama needs 2 or 3 more chapters to even make a dent in the large pledge classes. I wonder who will be next to colonize, and if anything is in the works?
Old 08-15-2011, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

They could add all the rest of NPC groups and still have large chapters. I don't know who will be next and what about housing? When the new houses are built, I suppose newer groups could take over those existing houses but after that??? As Dr. Witt increases enrollment, rush is going to continue to grow. It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out.