GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,169
Threads: 114,215
Welcome to our newest member, gfhghtytuj

Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Y'all stay calm! Most of the people I knew who were heavily cut the first day fared much better in AU recruitment than people whose heavy cuts came the second day.

ETA: Wareagle, find something to do today so you won't think about it! Go out to the mall or downtown and find something cute to wear to the first game! Or were you planning to buy anyone back at home some Auburn shirts?

Last edited by carnation; 08-10-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

wareagle, don't be discouraged, remember that it only takes one. take the day to de-stress and remember that the houses that you are going back to tomorrow WANT you.

good luck to you, and lavalier and Gamomof2's daughters!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

And you can put a positive spin on it. If they were going to cut you eventually anyway, this allows you to focus all your attention on a smaller group of chapters, and hopefully be less frazzled, tired, distressed, etc.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
And you can put a positive spin on it. If they were going to cut you eventually anyway, this allows you to focus all your attention on a smaller group of chapters, and hopefully be less frazzled, tired, distressed, etc.
a great way to look at things. wareagle, when i am down or stressed, a little exercise always helps. maybe you could go to the campus gym and run on the treadmill for a little bit. good luck to you!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Just think - you may have one up on the girls who will be attending the same parties tomorrow. You will be well rested and have your thoughts better collected! Stay calm and recruitment on!
Old 08-10-2011, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Wareagle: Hang in there (and tell your room-mate to hang in there too)! You got some great advice already from the previous posters and you should take it. Just remember that the chapters have to make big cuts as part of the process. Believe me, it is not a personal attack on you.

The big thing is to take advantage of the options you still have. That means:
1. Get rested and put a positive spin on things. If you go back to your remaining chapters sulking and resentful that does not help you and doesn't help the chapters you visit, as they won't see the real you. I like the idea of heading to the gym. Seeing some of those good looking Alabama guys working up a sweat should improve your mood. (Yes ladies, inappropriate, but it would definitely cheer me up!)
2. Give the chapters who invited you back an objective look. I didn't go to Auburn but I know it has one of the strongest Greek systems in the country. The chapters who asked you back offer some great opportunities. Try to see those as objectively as possible.

Hang in there! We are rooting for you from our keyboards!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Whew, it has definitely been hot. I was insanely lucky enough to receive 12 invites back today! Wareagle, there were a lot of girls in my group who were cut pretty heavy today, but all the sororities are so fantastic I feel honored to be invited back to any and my friend told me that as long as they want you they're worth a shot. It does worry me that I wasn't cut as heavy today... but I'm just going with it and having a great time. Everyone is SO nice!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

WHen my daughter (an out of state pnm) went through recruitment two years ago, her biggest cuts were early on but she kept her favorites right through to the end. One of her now best friends and sisters was disappointed by some of her cuts early on but stuck it out and now is one of the strongest sisters in the chapter. They never would have become such good friends if she had caved. Remember that the girls that you eventually pledge with will become the strongest part of your college life so do not get discouraged! The girls going through recruitment with you are the cream of the freshman class and will be great sisters wherever you end up if you do not give up!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Old 08-10-2011, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, should that be the outcome, you can deal with that too. But one thing at a time. All you need to focus on right now is rush. If that end comes too soon, THEN you can start thinking of other clubs and organizations you can get involved in.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter got 9 invites. Three of her four early favorites are still on the list. She was a little disappointed that two of the ones she really liked are no longer on her list, but went off to her first party excited about her opportunities. Another long two days ahead for those of us waiting for information.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

good for her!! continued good wishes.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone with any news this evening? My daughter really enjoyed today more as she began to see the personalities of each house through their philanthropies. The decorations and cute touches were really impressive...the crafts were fun.... overall - much more relaxed and natural. Hope tomorrow is a wonderful day for all the girls!!! (especially for you Wareagle!!!)

Last edited by Lavalier; 08-10-2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: adding sentence
Old 08-10-2011, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Daughter had 7 parties. Two of which were awkward ones from Monday and today's parties helped turn that around. Definitely said it was a slap not to get invited back to two groups that she thought she had a connection and good rapport with.

She said that the crafts were fun and one in particular touched her heart. She has the last 2 parties tomorrow and has said that those two groups went well the first time and she could only see her view of them getting stronger.

On our other front her friend at Valdosta started her rush tonight with Philanthropy. There are 6 sororities at this school. So one night for each round. Last night they had a quick "kick-off" party where the sororities came in and sang a song for all the girls then left. Their Gamma Chi's explained everything to them about the week and then had a dinner for them. She said she never knew sitting down talking to someone could be so exhausting.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamomof2 View Post
Daughter had 7 parties. Two of which were awkward ones from Monday and today's parties helped turn that around. Definitely said it was a slap not to get invited back to two groups that she thought she had a connection and good rapport with.

She said that the crafts were fun and one in particular touched her heart. She has the last 2 parties tomorrow and has said that those two groups went well the first time and she could only see her view of them getting stronger.

On our other front her friend at Valdosta started her rush tonight with Philanthropy. There are 6 sororities at this school. So one night for each round. Last night they had a quick "kick-off" party where the sororities came in and sang a song for all the girls then left. Their Gamma Chi's explained everything to them about the week and then had a dinner for them. She said she never knew sitting down talking to someone could be so exhausting.
Thanks for the update! Best of luck to your daughter and her friend!