GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 296,802
Threads: 114,103
Welcome to our newest member, DrIris

Old 04-26-2011, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

joining a fraternity after the military

Hey what's up guys, I'm currently active duty in the navy. I've had a strong brotherhood while in the Navy and I'm hoping to continue that in college once I get out. Ill be 21 going on 22 or 22 going on 23 when I rush, depending if I get an early out for education. Is that too old?

Btw, I'm looking at colleges down south(Auburn, alabama, fsu, UT)
Old 04-26-2011, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

No it's not too old. Yes, it may be a problem with some chapters, but just figure out that's going to be the fact and look elsewhere.

Most of your pledge class will be 18-19, with a couple that are a year or two older. They won't have the same life experience as you, and don't take that to mean you're in charge. Be equals with them and earn your place while learning what the chapter has to teach.

There'll be plenty of actives in the chapter that are 21-23, so it will not be weird at all. The point is more when you're 26-27 toward graduation. Even then, while a few years older you're still at the same life stage (college) that everyone else is. So, you may be a little different, but that's okay cause it comes with the benefits of your leadership and service experience as well. Just put that to good use as an active.

There's a lot of guys coming out to fraternities these days from the military. It's not quite as unusual as you'd think. There's also a lot of guys going from fraternities to the military after school, so it is better understood and respected. Actually, if you can find a chapter with a few guys going through ROTC or that are in the guard/reserve then that might be a good starting point to know your background can be an asset more than a liability.

Good Luck!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerfanfrommd View Post
Hey what's up guys, I'm currently active duty in the navy. I've had a strong brotherhood while in the Navy and I'm hoping to continue that in college once I get out. Ill be 21 going on 22 or 22 going on 23 when I rush, depending if I get an early out for education. Is that too old?

Btw, I'm looking at colleges down south(Auburn, alabama, fsu, UT)
Not being from the South would probably disadvantage you more than anything else at certain schools, in all honesty.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucgreek View Post
Not being from the South would probably disadvantage you more than anything else at certain schools, in all honesty.

Are they prejudice towards people from the north?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerfanfrommd View Post
Are they prejudice towards people from the north?
There is some of that. But the fact you will be missing out on summer rush parties where many groups at traditionally Southern schools do recruitment hurts you more. If you keep your options open (i.e. don't target only 'top tier' groups) and you're not an unlikeable person, you will have a better chance of joining greek life.