GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 298,758
Threads: 114,169
Posts: 2,150,992
Welcome to our newest member, arshitoni
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-13-2011, 02:49 PM
knight_shadow knight_shadow is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
I understand. When I was at TAMU, the Greek life office split groups pretty much as NPC/NIC/IFC or "other", which at the time was the NPHC. Maybe now they are more "organized"?
Our Delta chapter is at TAMU, and from what I understand, the campus is much more open to the idea of the "others" than when it was founded.
__________________
*does side bends and sit-ups*
*doesn't lose butt*

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-13-2011, 04:15 PM
LatinaAlumna LatinaAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: CA
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
In Texas (for the most part), all non-NIC/NPC/NPHC groups are looped into "other/multicultural" councils. The multicultural groups don't seem to be the ones that have issue with this -- it tends to be other NALFO/LGLO/HLGLO groups that cause problems.
I can see the LGLOs having an issue with this because the term "multicultural" does not describe their focus, or for the most part, membership demographic.

Quote:
I'm not sure if looping smaller organizations in with the larger ones will end well. That's one of the large complaints I remember hearing about NALFO. I can see organizations like ODPhi, KDChi, SLB, SLG, and others coming together, as we seem to be moving in similar directions. I can't see some of the smaller organizations benefiting from being looped in with groups like these.
Since there are four major orgs. that were founded as LGLOs but now have a different emphasis, it is conceivable that they might want to start their own umbrella organization--but what would that be? Since I'm not a member of one of the forementioned orgs., I can only speculate, but I don't think a new LGLO umbrella would fit the bill, nor would a new MGLO council necessarily be appropriate. The only direction I can see these orgs moving toward is being part of the IFC/NPC councils on campus, while making an emphasis on their various special interests during recruitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I have a few thoughts about this in general.

First, I don't know what NALFO does. But I also don't know what the NPHC does. I actually think the NPHC is less effective now since its reorganization than it was before.

Second, I don't think it matters that an organization has opted to become multicultural as long as it takes the proper steps to be that: constitutionally, programmatically, and leaving NALFO.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I do see NALFO doing things which are good, such as the awards. I think having an organization of peer organizations helps to maintain standards, incentivize strong programs, and to increase awareness and support of LGLOs on the campuses which need to be educated about them.
In part, this is what NALFO was/is supposed to do:

NALFO was/is supposed to be a solution to the issue of "which council should we join?" for LGLOs. In the 1990s, when LGLOs began to really see a surge in expansion across the country, it became apparent that most universities did not know how to handle these new chapters (which were not members of the NPHC and were resistant to becoming affiliate members of the local IFC/NPC councils). NALFO was/is supposed to be a way to satisfy university requirements of being a member of a council, while still giving chapters the ability to maintain their own customs, traditions, etc. (especially with regard to the new membership process). It was/is also supposed to promote collaboration among the member organizations and foster unity. To a certain degree, I believe NALFO has been a positive force for LGLOs, but the bottom line is that it started off with way too many organizations. NALFO has been around in some form for about 12-13 years now, and I think it could have been further along in some of its objectives had it started off with a smaller group of orgs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
Just curious - how will this be determined?
This is a great question, and it is something that should have been clearly defined by NALFO a long time ago. As a LGLO member, I can say what this phrase ("Latino Fraternal Organization") means to me, but it can be interpreted differently depending who you talk to, and/or depending on an organization's agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
Now that Gamma Eta is part of the NMGC, I could see other Latino-based, multicultural orgs (biting my tongue so hard lol) following suit.
I did not know that. I'm not sure if you can share, but was there much controversy? (I'm guessing they had to be voted in by the current member organizations.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post

Like LatinaAlumna said, though, this is likely due to the fact that many of the groups have internal turmoil.

Re: Finally: I agree. As I stated earlier, a lot of the negativity I heard from NALFO was due to the fact that the groups didn't seem like peers (outside of their histories). There were large historically LGLOs, small historically GLOs, large current LGLOs, and small current LGLOs. Obviously, these groups wanted to do what was best for them, but it didn't help NALFO as a whole.

Several of the HLGLO groups have left the council, so that may be a step in the right direction to help the group regain focus.
Yep--these two points (internal turmoil and having orgs that are not truly peers) have contributed largely to the current state of NALFO.

I also agree that it was a positive step for some of the former NALFO orgs. to take a hard look at themselves and decide to pursue other options.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Monarca7 Monarca7 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 150
I understand what you mean NALFO needs to do more, but what can NALFO do? Honestly, outside the Northeast, Florida and parts of California NALFO orgs are rare. Hence the formation of a NALFO council would be to the contrary of organizational goal. Since I live in Texas I will use it as the example. Besides UT -Austin. Very few schools have enough chapters of NALFO orgs to form a council. As mentioned by Knightshadow you could form adhoc NALFO councils but why? There would be no benefit. If you would allow multicultural organization in anyway why wouldn’t you stay where you are? What are you really defining by forming a new council? Would it be just size? What is the common thread that they would be sharing? I’m just saying why I could easily understand the fact that there is no benefit to separating into a new council specifically in Texas.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Monarca7 Monarca7 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post


In part, this is what NALFO was/is supposed to do:

NALFO was/is supposed to be a solution to the issue of "which council should we join?" for LGLOs. In the 1990s, when LGLOs began to really see a surge in expansion across the country, it became apparent that most universities did not know how to handle these new chapters (which were not members of the NPHC and were resistant to becoming affiliate members of the local IFC/NPC councils). NALFO was/is supposed to be a way to satisfy university requirements of being a member of a council, while still giving chapters the ability to maintain their own customs, traditions, etc. (especially with regard to the new membership process). It was/is also supposed to promote collaboration among the member organizations and foster unity. To a certain degree, I believe NALFO has been a positive force for LGLOs, but the bottom line is that it started off with way too many organizations. NALFO has been around in some form for about 12-13 years now, and I think it could have been further along in some of its objectives had it started off with a smaller group of orgs.
Well said...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-13-2011, 04:50 PM
knight_shadow knight_shadow is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarca7 View Post
I understand what you mean NALFO needs to do more, but what can NALFO do? Honestly, outside the Northeast, Florida and parts of California NALFO orgs are rare. Hence the formation of a NALFO council would be to the contrary of organizational goal. Since I live in Texas I will use it as the example. Besides UT -Austin. Very few schools have enough chapters of NALFO orgs to form a council. As mentioned by Knightshadow you could form adhoc NALFO councils but why? There would be no benefit. If you would allow multicultural organization in anyway why wouldn’t you stay where you are? What are you really defining by forming a new council? Would it be just size? What is the common thread that they would be sharing? I’m just saying why I could easily understand the fact that there is no benefit to separating into a new council specifically in Texas.
There are many chapters of many LGLO/HLGLO organizations spread throughout the US. It's just hard to have a substantial impact because there are so.many.organizations out there competing for a small group of people and NALFO (in its current state) isn't really promoting the existing organizations.

And when I said UTA, I was referring to UT-Arlington, not Austin. I think there are a few campuses that could support a separate council with only LGLO/HLGLO organizations.
__________________
*does side bends and sit-ups*
*doesn't lose butt*

Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-13-2011, 04:53 PM
preciousjeni preciousjeni is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NooYawk
Posts: 5,504
Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
I did not know that. I'm not sure if you can share, but was there much controversy? (I'm guessing they had to be voted in by the current member organizations.)
That I couldn't tell you. Theta Nu Xi is not a member of the NMGC.
__________________
ONE LOVE, For All My Life

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Monarca7 Monarca7 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
There are many chapters of many LGLO/HLGLO organizations spread throughout the US. It's just hard to have a substantial impact because there are so.many.organizations out there competing for a small group of people and NALFO (in its current state) isn't really promoting the existing organizations.

And when I said UTA, I was referring to UT-Arlington, not Austin. I think there are a few campuses that could support a separate council with only LGLO/HLGLO organizations.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I was agreeing with you. What I meant was to form specifically a official NALFO council would be pointless if you let non-NALFO members in. What would be the point of having it in the first place? I understood when you said UTA you meant UT Arlington I mentioned UT- Austin as they have a few NALFO orgs. I understand there are alot of LGLO orgs out there but few have enough chapters at the same school to form an official NALFO board.

Sorry I didn't write more clearly btw "I graduated magna cum get it from the university of the streets" Hilariouse! LOL my girlfriend got sick of me repeating that to her!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-13-2011, 05:05 PM
knight_shadow knight_shadow is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,119
Oh, Ok. Makes sense.

And LOL @ the University of the Streets. I forgot where I found that, but it made me laugh too.
__________________
*does side bends and sit-ups*
*doesn't lose butt*

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-13-2011, 05:38 PM
LatinaAlumna LatinaAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: CA
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
There are many chapters of many LGLO/HLGLO organizations spread throughout the US. It's just hard to have a substantial impact because there are so.many.organizations out there competing for a small group of people and NALFO (in its current state) isn't really promoting the existing organizations.
Yes, and it could be. For example, we see the NPC and its "Go Panhellenic"-type promotion. NALFO could do something similar. Then again, it might not help the NALFO orgs. because students interested in "Latina/o interest greek life" often do not know the difference (at least, initially) between:

*NALFO orgs
*non-NALFO LGLOs
*orgs founded as LGLOs that now have a difference focus
*orgs founded as MGLOs that have a high percentage of Latina/o members
*orgs not founded with a Latina/o or Multicultural focus but that have a high percentage of Latina/o members

...and maybe they don't even really care.

We might say that perhaps NALFO should cease to exist. Even so, on many campuses we would still have "Latino Greek Council", and the question of "who should really be in that council?" remains.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Senusret I Senusret I is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,835
I secretly advocate for disbanding the NPHC or loosening the requirements so that more organizations can benefit it - and benefit us.
__________________
I am proud that my last post on this site was telling Kevin to suck my dick.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-13-2011, 05:47 PM
preciousjeni preciousjeni is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NooYawk
Posts: 5,504
Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I secretly advocate for disbanding the NPHC or loosening the requirements so that more organizations can benefit it - and benefit us.
Not much of a secret anymore!
__________________
ONE LOVE, For All My Life

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-13-2011, 05:47 PM
knight_shadow knight_shadow is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
For example, we see the NPC and its "Go Panhellenic"-type promotion.
This is what I was looking for when I was involved with NALFO.

Instead of "Interested in this type of organization? Here's ABC, DEF, and GHI. Take a look at them and find your fit!" NALFO came off as "Interested in this type of organization? Form your own and join us!"
__________________
*does side bends and sit-ups*
*doesn't lose butt*

Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Senusret I Senusret I is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
Not much of a secret anymore!
That's why Skip hates me. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
This is what I was looking for when I was involved with NALFO.

Instead of "Interested in this type of organization? Here's ABC, DEF, and GHI. Take a look at them and find your fit!" NALFO came off as "Interested in this type of organization? Form your own and join us!"
Oop.
__________________
I am proud that my last post on this site was telling Kevin to suck my dick.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-13-2011, 05:52 PM
knight_shadow knight_shadow is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Oop.
?
__________________
*does side bends and sit-ups*
*doesn't lose butt*

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Senusret I Senusret I is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,835
Oop is the sound a gay person makes when a wig has been snatched.


Note that it is not pronounced oo-oop.
__________________
I am proud that my last post on this site was telling Kevin to suck my dick.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where to buy Para for orgs under NALFO Blanca260 Greek Life 3 04-25-2011 11:08 AM
NPHC, NALFO, and similar orgs: Did you "rush" more than once? Senusret I Greek Life 40 07-20-2010 04:33 PM
Too many choices may cause groups to focus on looks AOII Angel Recruitment 22 05-04-2010 11:28 PM
Activitivism - No Orgs and Lots of Orgs SummerChild Alpha Kappa Alpha 5 06-13-2006 01:08 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.