GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 299,912
Threads: 114,203
Posts: 2,151,426
Welcome to our newest member, sdfghbj
» Online Users: 332
5 members and 327 guests
3lilac, sdfghbj, uyogcmjaba, Xidelt
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 01-04-2011, 12:27 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,354
That's past perp and on to creepy "Friends Till The End" territory. I would say she pretty much shot her chances for AI in ANY sorority.

This could never happen in our chapter - it's small enough (we never had over 60 actives) that a fake alum would get busted in 2.5 seconds. Ditto for the other chapters on our campus.

I actually have a chapter listing of all the women initiated into our chapter from when we did our centennial reunion, and when anyone asks to join our FB group, they need to give me their maiden name and pledge class...or you ain't getting in. If your HQ can provide such a thing, I would recommend it for whoever maintains membership in your chapter facebook group.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Chicago88 Chicago88 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
LOL! Well, I certainly don't need to live through my daughters, I have letters of my own! Most of these came through the chapters themselves as gifts on parents' days and others came from gifts straight from the groups' national websites.

However, the word "mom" somehow seems to be invisible to a few people, who come up and start doing cheers from that sorority or exclaim that they were an ABC at ThisorThat University.
AH I know you arent living vicariously through them
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-04-2011, 03:20 PM
honeychile honeychile is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Counting my blessings!
Posts: 26,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
That's past perp and on to creepy "Friends Till The End" territory. I would say she pretty much shot her chances for AI in ANY sorority.

This could never happen in our chapter - it's small enough (we never had over 60 actives) that a fake alum would get busted in 2.5 seconds. Ditto for the other chapters on our campus.

I actually have a chapter listing of all the women initiated into our chapter from when we did our centennial reunion, and when anyone asks to join our FB group, they need to give me their maiden name and pledge class...or you ain't getting in. If your HQ can provide such a thing, I would recommend it for whoever maintains membership in your chapter facebook group.
Hmmm... This is how it's supposed to work with ADPi, too! I know that Alumnae Associations are to do that, as we had a deactivated member try to join. She was given a second chance by EO, but blew that one, too. No more ADPi for her (I would hope!). I do hope that you contacted EO about this wannabe, so the other chapters can be warned.
__________________
~*~ honeychile - ~ *~"ADPi until I die!"~*~
Proud to be a Macon Magnolia
"Those who cannot remember the 90s are doomed to repeat it" 33girl
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-04-2011, 04:09 PM
KSUViolet06 KSUViolet06 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
That's past perp and on to creepy "Friends Till The End" territory. I would say she pretty much shot her chances for AI in ANY sorority.

This could never happen in our chapter - it's small enough (we never had over 60 actives) that a fake alum would get busted in 2.5 seconds. Ditto for the other chapters on our campus.

I actually have a chapter listing of all the women initiated into our chapter from when we did our centennial reunion, and when anyone asks to join our FB group, they need to give me their maiden name and pledge class...or you ain't getting in. If your HQ can provide such a thing, I would recommend it for whoever maintains membership in your chapter facebook group.
I'm admin for a few Sigma-related FB groups/events (one chapter specific and some not), and since those groups are closed/private, I use our directory (via SigmaConnect) to double-check peeps I've never heard of. I suggest that everyone else do the same. I've busted perps before and tend to pay more attention to this sort of thing than the average sister probably does.

Ex: A woman tried to join a group claiming to be an alumna from the 90s. I directory searched her--terminated her membership during her senior year. I denied her request. She messaged me asking why her request was denied. I told her why. Her response: "I don't care what HQ says. I was an officer for 2 years and spent thousands of dollars on Sigma. I'll always be a Sigma in my heart."

I couldn't do anything except LOL. This same woman has attempted to join the CLE alumnae chapter unsuccessfully, because well, "in your heart" means nothing to actual Sigmas. lol.
__________________
"Remember that apathy has no place in our Sorority." - Kelly Jo Karnes, Pi

Lakers Nation.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-04-2011, 04:10 PM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,126
Okay, I just got some more information from another active from this chapter. (hi,"Mischief"!) She told me this woman's name and that she's got ADPi stuff all over her Facebook and she does!!! Worse yet, she's friended several legit ADPis; I know one of them.

I am stunned by the nerve of this woman.
__________________
"Yo ho, yo ho, over the raging seas we go! Yo ho ho ho, wherever the four winds blow!
HEY!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Shellfish Shellfish is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 555
Phi Mus, do you have an online or print membership directory like the ones mentioned in this thread? I've been wondering about someone who has posted here. (Poor Phi Mu: they've had more than their share of phony members on GC lately.)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-04-2011, 08:49 PM
BabyPiNK_FL BabyPiNK_FL is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Posts: 1,863
There is a look up. I have requested out of it for personal reasons, but I can still be found on our "Bloom" which is like Myspace, but for Phi Mus only.
__________________
I am not my hair. I am not this skin . I am the soul that lives within.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-05-2011, 06:53 PM
BabyBearADPi BabyBearADPi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 20
My chapter is a very small one and we don't receive much help from the local alumnae chapter. Most of the help we do get is from our recent alums and advisors. We all felt like that lady was creepy...she stayed on our hall (we don't have a house at my university) with a sister during recruitment! Not only did she add active sisters, she also friended many of our recent alums who were still students. After we got word from EO that she was not a sister, our chapter advisor told us all to defriend and block her on facebook. She apparently has several different profiles under various names that are close to the name she introduced herself under. On her facebook page she had pictures of founder's headstones and her doing diamonds (by herself) beside them, from an alumnae bbq and from the ADPi museum at EO.
That lady went to some incredible lengths to appear 'legit'! Gah! It still makes me mad!
__________________
"It feels like I'm all the way back where I come from."
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-05-2011, 07:12 PM
U Go Glen Coco! U Go Glen Coco! is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fetch-Ville
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBearADPi View Post
My chapter is a very small one and we don't receive much help from the local alumnae chapter. Most of the help we do get is from our recent alums and advisors. We all felt like that lady was creepy...she stayed on our hall (we don't have a house at my university) with a sister during recruitment! Not only did she add active sisters, she also friended many of our recent alums who were still students. After we got word from EO that she was not a sister, our chapter advisor told us all to defriend and block her on facebook. She apparently has several different profiles under various names that are close to the name she introduced herself under. On her facebook page she had pictures of founder's headstones and her doing diamonds (by herself) beside them, from an alumnae bbq and from the ADPi museum at EO.
That lady went to some incredible lengths to appear 'legit'! Gah! It still makes me mad!
Does ADPi have a Sister Directory you can access online?

Why the heck would you let some random person in your homes without verifying them first? Sorry you girls had to go through this, but I just don't get how anyone could just let her in like that.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Alumiyum Alumiyum is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBearADPi View Post
My chapter is a very small one and we don't receive much help from the local alumnae chapter. Most of the help we do get is from our recent alums and advisors. We all felt like that lady was creepy...she stayed on our hall (we don't have a house at my university) with a sister during recruitment! Not only did she add active sisters, she also friended many of our recent alums who were still students. After we got word from EO that she was not a sister, our chapter advisor told us all to defriend and block her on facebook. She apparently has several different profiles under various names that are close to the name she introduced herself under. On her facebook page she had pictures of founder's headstones and her doing diamonds (by herself) beside them, from an alumnae bbq and from the ADPi museum at EO.
That lady went to some incredible lengths to appear 'legit'! Gah! It still makes me mad!
Creeptastic. Who let her on the hall? On the bright side, stalking is a form of creepy flattery.
__________________
IIII IIII IIII

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-05-2011, 07:59 PM
BabyBearADPi BabyBearADPi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by U Go Glen Coco! View Post
Does ADPi have a Sister Directory you can access online?

Why the heck would you let some random person in your homes without verifying them first? Sorry you girls had to go through this, but I just don't get how anyone could just let her in like that.
I have no idea how she got so close to any of us but yes, we are all at fault for letting it happen. I know that I initially assumed that she had been checked out by our advisors and our chapter's executive members... Obviously I was wrong!
__________________
"It feels like I'm all the way back where I come from."
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-06-2011, 01:07 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBearADPi View Post
I have no idea how she got so close to any of us but yes, we are all at fault for letting it happen. I know that I initially assumed that she had been checked out by our advisors and our chapter's executive members... Obviously I was wrong!
Out of curiousity, how old was she?
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-06-2011, 02:21 PM
honeychile honeychile is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Counting my blessings!
Posts: 26,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Out of curiousity, how old was she?
Roughly mid- to late forties.
__________________
~*~ honeychile - ~ *~"ADPi until I die!"~*~
Proud to be a Macon Magnolia
"Those who cannot remember the 90s are doomed to repeat it" 33girl
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-06-2011, 10:10 PM
sanjiyan69 sanjiyan69 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 500
Send a message via AIM to sanjiyan69 Send a message via Skype™ to sanjiyan69
Just started reading this and WOW. There are some crazy people here. I think they just want some attention they never received back then...

Luckily we never had anyone pretending to be brothers....not sure what would happen to those guys if they tried us and get busted.
__________________
Proud to be a Chopper since 2002!

ΛΧΑ

My facebook
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Regina.George Regina.George is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago88 View Post
Speaking of that I saw a "Tri Delt Dad" shirt today in the airport. I wouldn't mind my mom wearing a shirt or two but when you have your daughers sorority letters and under neath it saying like "ZTA MOM" I find that weird. Like living vicariously through your daughter.
You aren't Greek. You have no idea what these things may mean to an organization. You really need to step away from the keyboard and worry about your recruitment.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phony Pony Wearers Unite CrimsonTide4 Delta Sigma Theta 28 04-09-2005 08:22 PM
Wisc. Acacia + computer = phony tickets hoosier Greek Life 11 09-17-2004 12:59 PM
Phony Credit Cards? Kevin Chit Chat 9 12-10-2003 12:42 AM
Phony as... honeychile News & Politics 10 09-13-2003 03:03 PM
Fake? Dreamerchick Recruitment 6 08-18-2001 05:53 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.