GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 308,167
Threads: 114,820
Posts: 2,159,600
Welcome to our newest member, dbudzinski
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Animate Animate is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: 2 blocks from the end of the internet.
Posts: 747
General Convention moving...

Alpha Board is moving the General Convention from Phoenix to Las Vegas. More info coming.


I guess Skip is serious about this Arizona boycott.
__________________
Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name...I don't. That place is usually called work.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Little32 Little32 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: At my new favorite writing spot.
Posts: 2,253
Where is the like button?

It's the right thing to do.
__________________
You think you know. But you have no idea.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-01-2010, 08:06 AM
mccoyred mccoyred is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Greater Philadelphia Metro Area
Posts: 1,831
Definitely! It worked before, so lets pray that it works again.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-01-2010, 10:56 AM
ladygreek ladygreek is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: In the fraternal Twin Cities
Posts: 6,444
While I applaud the intent behind Alpha Phi Alpha's decision, I have to say I also applaud the intent behind Arizona's law. I am glad they are making reforms to it to clarify it. *minority opinion*
__________________
DSQ
Born: Epsilon Xi / Zeta Chi, SIUC
Raised: Minneapolis/St. Paul Alumnae
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-01-2010, 08:12 PM
mccoyred mccoyred is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Greater Philadelphia Metro Area
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
While I applaud the intent behind Alpha Phi Alpha's decision, I have to say I also applaud the intent behind Arizona's law. I am glad they are making reforms to it to clarify it. *minority opinion*
While I don't think anyone agrees with illegal immigration, this law is wrong on so many levels. My understanding of the most recent 'clarification' is that the police can only question immigration status through lawful contact, ie suspected criminal or civil infraction. I thought that was the status quo, but maybe I am wrong. If so, then what was the intent of the law but to muddy the waters and stick the taxpayers of Arizona with the expense of a federal function....?

ETA: Well thought out argument here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/randal..._b_559663.html

Last edited by mccoyred; 05-01-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-02-2010, 09:27 PM
ladygreek ladygreek is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: In the fraternal Twin Cities
Posts: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoyred View Post
While I don't think anyone agrees with illegal immigration, this law is wrong on so many levels. My understanding of the most recent 'clarification' is that the police can only question immigration status through lawful contact, ie suspected criminal or civil infraction. I thought that was the status quo, but maybe I am wrong. If so, then what was the intent of the law but to muddy the waters and stick the taxpayers of Arizona with the expense of a federal function....?

ETA: Well thought out argument here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/randal..._b_559663.html
Yes it is a well thought our argument and one sided. To be fair I would like to read one from the other side. Seriously, as I have gotten older I have become less likely to jump on a bandwagon especially when I am not directly impacted.

I do not know much about Arizona, and as neither a Dem, nor a Repub I really don't want to make a judgement based on politically, partisan arguments.
__________________
DSQ
Born: Epsilon Xi / Zeta Chi, SIUC
Raised: Minneapolis/St. Paul Alumnae
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!

Last edited by ladygreek; 05-02-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-02-2010, 11:01 PM
DrPhil DrPhil is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
I do not know much about Arizona, and as neither a Dem, nor a Repub I really don't want to make a judgement based on politically, partisan arguments.


I am also neither a Dem nor a Repub and know that all of the naysayers are not making political, partisian arguments.

For instance, discrimination based on outcome and racial profiiling are consequences that I deducted before even reading opinion articles and without even caring about which crazy side of the aisle proposed this new law. My conclusion was based on history and trends and patterns regarding what similar laws and practices have resulted in. That has nothing to do with politics and partisanism, which are both bullcrap as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who can get their head out of the asses of politics can see how a law that makes sense in theory (because, as Soror said, despite the supposed benefits of immigration, most people don't agree with illegal immigration or even an ill-prepared influx of legal immigrants) can be the dumbest thing ever in practice.

ETA: If AZ was just trying to bring attention to the issue and the gov't to act, OKAY. There's a reason why they're making changes to this law. Another example of how intent and outcome are usually completely different.

Last edited by DrPhil; 05-02-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-02-2010, 11:31 PM
mccoyred mccoyred is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Greater Philadelphia Metro Area
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Yes it is a well thought our argument and one sided. To be fair I would like to read one from the other side. Seriously, as I have gotten older I have become less likely to jump on a bandwagon especially when I am not directly impacted.

I do not know much about Arizona, and as neither a Dem, nor a Repub I really don't want to make a judgement based on politically, partisan arguments.
Point taken. I am neither a Repub or a Dem myself. IF I find a well thought out argument from the other side, I will post it. In fact, ANYONE who finds one from the other side, please post! I really would like to see an intellectually defensible argument of support for this law.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Professor Professor is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 1,977
I agree that something must be done to address illegal immigration but I'm not sure this law is the solution. It was not long ago when freed AA slaves had to carry a pass card. I see this law as an opportunity to profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
While I applaud the intent behind Alpha Phi Alpha's decision, I have to say I also applaud the intent behind Arizona's law. I am glad they are making reforms to it to clarify it. *minority opinion*
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-19-2010, 05:53 PM
ladygreek ladygreek is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: In the fraternal Twin Cities
Posts: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
I agree that something must be done to address illegal immigration but I'm not sure this law is the solution. It was not long ago when freed AA slaves had to carry a pass card. I see this law as an opportunity to profile.
It was VERY long ago that freed slaves had to carry pass cards. That is a poor and exaggerated analogy. I don't see it as profiling when someone is stopped for a violation and then can't produce a driver's license or any other proper identification.
__________________
DSQ
Born: Epsilon Xi / Zeta Chi, SIUC
Raised: Minneapolis/St. Paul Alumnae
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-24-2010, 01:54 AM
mccoyred mccoyred is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Greater Philadelphia Metro Area
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
It was VERY long ago that freed slaves had to carry pass cards. That is a poor and exaggerated analogy. I don't see it as profiling when someone is stopped for a violation and then can't produce a driver's license or any other proper identification.
Soror LG, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I find this analogy very apropos.

In both cases, the suspicion is not based on what someone has done, but what they look like they might be ( a slave as opposed to a FPOC or an illegal immigrant as opposed to a citizen). In the case of the recent law, they are issuing 'clarifications' so that if someone is stopped for a possible violation THEN they can be questioned. Frankly, that is what the current federal law is so why was the state law required! Where Arizona went off track is that there was originally no restriction in this law that the stop must be for a suspected violation.

Correct me if I am wrong but how do you stop someone who might look like they are an illegal immigrant? Even the law's proponents don't even know what an illegal immigrant looks like. In Arizona, they are presumed to look Mexican.

Illegal immigrants come from all countries around the globe. Natural born citizens are from all ethnic backgrounds. You have people like Ken Salazar, current SecInt, who is of Mexican descent but whose family has been in this country since before many Western states were states!

This law sets a dangerous precedent. I pray the current boycott works as well as the boycott over the MLK Holiday worked...only more quickly.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General Convention 09: New Orleans Phrozen1ne Alpha Phi Alpha 9 07-26-2009 10:11 PM
2008 General Convention MIDWESTDIVA Alpha Phi Alpha 4 06-16-2008 09:39 AM
2007 General Convention Senusret I Alpha Phi Alpha 11 08-14-2007 07:50 PM
General Convention enlightenment06 Alpha Phi Alpha 31 08-30-2003 04:12 AM
Moving On Up greeklawgirl Alpha Gamma Delta 9 06-17-2002 09:04 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.