GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 297,171
Threads: 114,113
Welcome to our newest member, banesscahvs1222

Old 11-02-2009, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I would have been terrified if we had to pass an exam - I was a COB - so I was a little behind the girls in my pledge class and had to catch up with our education program, which wasn't too difficult, but an exam might have thrown me over the edge.

I don't think the exams are right or wrong - just depends on the size of an organization, it's traditions and histories, and things like that. But I have to say that I am glad I didn't have to pass one, even though I feel like I know most of the things a girl in my sorority should know, including our history and relevant facts.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I see.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a Kappa educator introduced a version of "positive behavior intervention systems" into the organization.

Giving the new members the information to learn for a prize has a similar effect of giving them information for a quiz. Just that rather than punishing those that fail, you reward the ones who pass.

I think both have a place in fraternal and sororal education, just as they do in schools where I have seen PBIS introduced.
Therefore, punishing those who fail through the lack of a prize.

It's really all semantics and a psychological game.

Given the popular definition of hazing which confuses pledging with hazing in many instances, they are still being hazed even if they walk away smiling.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappamd View Post
I believe that Kappa defines hazing as any activity that is not required by ALL members (active or new member) and that is why exams are not allowed.
Quote:

Edit: Now that I think about it, isn't that the basic universal definition of hazing?
I went to the Kappa website on hazing, and here is the definition:
Kappa Kappa Gamma Hazing Policy
Hazing is defined as any activity or action taken with or without consent of the individual involved that produces mental, emotional, psychological or physical discomfort, intimidation, humiliation, degradation, embarrassment, harassment or ridicule. Such activities and situations include but are not limited to, blindfolding for any purpose; creation of excessive fatigue; physical and psychological shocks; treasure hunts, scavenger hunts or kidnaps; wearing apparel that is conspicuous and not normally in good taste: engaging in stunts or degrading or humiliating games and activities; and late work sessions.

Under examples, it specifies "Asking new members to pass a test for initiation."

Handled properly a test wouldn't have to be hazing, but perhaps some people crossed the line a few too many times and they decided to play it safe and discontinue it.

Last edited by thetygerlily; 11-02-2009 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Attempting to fix formatting
Old 11-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
Under examples, it species "Asking new members to pass a test for initiation."

Handled properly a test wouldn't have to be hazing, but perhaps some people crossed the line a few too many times and they decided to play it safe and discontinue it.
I read this and wouldn't assume they meant a NM test that was formally written and administered.** Actives can make testing conditions torturous but perhaps organizations should take that up with the chapters.

** "Test for initiation" could be "jog 300 laps to test your love for this organization."
Old 11-02-2009, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I see.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a Kappa educator introduced a version of "positive behavior intervention systems" into the organization.

Giving the new members the information to learn for a prize has a similar effect of giving them information for a quiz. Just that rather than punishing those that fail, you reward the ones who pass.

I think both have a place in fraternal and sororal education, just as they do in schools where I have seen PBIS introduced.

We used positive reinforcement in other ways as well (rewards for best class attendance that week, point system for attendance at non-required events, etc.) I don't know how other [Kappa] chapters run, but it worked for ours.

As for the lack of an exam, I know that when the day came for Initiation, we were just as well educated as any of the actives.

I also always thought that it was nice that our Founder's Day sat smack in the middle of the new member period, because it made a lot of the historical education seem a lot more tangible and relevant.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe that's the point- "test" can be interpreted so many ways they decided everyone would be better off to just ban them. Most of the testing situations I've heard of (again, from the men at my alma matter) were extremely lax- things like a couple of actives talking to each other and "accidentally" giving out the answers. So there it was more of a formality than actually testing knowledge.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I also always thought that it was nice that our Founder's Day sat smack in the middle of the new member period, because it made a lot of the historical education seem a lot more tangible and relevant.
Oh, that would've been nice! We had deferred recruitment so we only had CORs during the fall. Although for us because we had a term between graduation and recruitment, it was like the time to come together and resolidify as a chapter. So Founders Day fell during that time, which was pretty cool. I guess it's good at any time of the cycle!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I believe that Kappa defines hazing as any activity that is not required by ALL members (active or new member) and that is why exams are not allowed.

Edit: Now that I think about it, isn't that the basic universal definition of hazing?
To be honest, I've never heard anyone but members of NPC sororities define it that way. Most other definitions I have seen (and just about every legal definition I've seen) involve some element of physical or emotional harm, which, btw, the Kappa definition seems to do as well:

Quote:
I went to the Kappa website on hazing, and here is the definition:
Kappa Kappa Gamma Hazing Policy
Hazing is defined as any activity or action taken with or without consent of the individual involved that produces mental, emotional, psychological or physical discomfort, intimidation, humiliation, degradation, embarrassment, harassment or ridicule. Such activities and situations include but are not limited to, blindfolding for any purpose; creation of excessive fatigue; physical and psychological shocks; treasure hunts, scavenger hunts or kidnaps; wearing apparel that is conspicuous and not normally in good taste: engaging in stunts or degrading or humiliating games and activities; and late work sessions.

Under examples, it specifies "Asking new members to pass a test for initiation."
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe that's the point- "test" can be interpreted so many ways they decided everyone would be better off to just ban them.
Our test is nationally mandated (in our governing documents) and nationally standardized. The test that is given is the test published by our HQ; chapters cannot deviate from the National exam. A chapter advisor has to verify the scores, and as I said earlier, you have to get every question right to be initiated.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post

Our test is nationally mandated (in our governing documents) and nationally standardized. The test that is given is the test published by our HQ; chapters cannot deviate from the National exam. A chapter advisor has to verify the scores.
Same is true for us (except I am pretty sure they only need 85%). HQ must have scores before any NM can be initiated.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, whatever works. To each his own.

What was this thread about again?
Old 11-02-2009, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hey, whatever works. To each his own.

What was this thread about again?
Some chick got the SARS and flunked her sorority test.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Some chick got the SARS and flunked her sorority test.
I think it was TEH swine.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Why do I not remember taking an exam? Ok, so it was over 25 years ago.

Sisters, feel free to chime in. Was there a test?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

If every member takes an exam to be initiated, then its NOT hazing, even under Kappa's definition, because it would be required at some point, whether you were an active or a new member.

to each its own, i suppose. it sounds like more weight is given whether a NM shows up to their NM events/meetings than the exam. kinda like a class that gives more weight to class discussions and homework than the midterm and final.

to OP - feel better, through all of this.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Why do I not remember taking an exam? Ok, so it was over 25 years ago.

Sisters, feel free to chime in. Was there a test?
There was one for me and any new member classes that came in while I was an active. Our chapter advisor would come and "grade" them.

I don't remember anyone ever failing.