GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,125
1 members and 2,124 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 09-27-2009, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedRover
A Friend Fraternity Recruitment Story ... With A Twist

My friend, who I will call J.D., said I could share his fraternity recruitment story as long as I didn't reveal the university he attends or the fraternites involved.

J.D. knew he wanted to be a part of the Greek community as a part of college life. He asked around and read copies of the campus newspaper during freshman orientation. His intuition told him that XYZ fraternity would be the best fit for him.

J.D. attended as many recruitment (aka rush) events at as many houses as his schedule permitted. As his intuition told him, he really wanted to be a member of XYZ but kept his options open for ABC or DEF.

One of XYZ's philanthropic activities is helping out at a local soup kitchen that serves the homeless in the area. XYZ included a trip to the soup kitchen on its schedule of rush events. So when the trip to the soup kitchen was scheduled, J.D. showed up at the house. In fact, he was the only "rushee" who showed up; he said that he guessed that other potential members went to play miniature golf or paintball at the other houses. J.D. said that he had a great time with the active brothers at the soup kitchen.

A couple of days later, J.D. got invited to the invitation-only dinner that XYZ hosts before it awards bids. During the dinner, the rushees are asked to stand and discuss which XYZ rush activity meant the most to them. While the other potential members discussed the smokers or the ball games, J.D. said his favorite experience was the trip to the soup kitchen; J.D. told me that he knew that if he said the soup kitchen trip that the XYZ brothers would definitely remember him one way or the other when it came time to vote on bids.

Needless to say, J.D. got his bid to XYZ. He accepted and pledged XYZ.

Fast forward a couple of months. He was walking back from a bar with Bill, one of the officers in XYZ who had a bit too much to drink that night. Bill and J.D. were talking about their rush experiences, when Bill told J.D. that a number of brothers were less than enthusiastic about giving a bid to J.D. at first. However, Bill said J.D. won over a number of the brothers when he was only one to show up for the visit to the soup kitchen. Bill added that J.D. won over more brothers when he talked about the soup kitchen visit at the dinner.

J.D., now a office in XYZ, hints in the strongest way possible to potential members who might not get a bid from XYZ that the soup kitchen activity during rush can make all the differnce in getting a bid
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )