GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,388
2 members and 2,386 guests
aidancahvsoz240, PrettyBoy

Old 06-14-2009, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

How much is appearance weighed during rush?

Hi. I'm currently a sophomore and plan to rush in the fall. I was just wondering how much appearance is weighed when it comes to rushing, in your sorority or in general? That is, weight-wise. I know that appearance isn't everything and personality carries a long way too, but I'm a bit nervous about the pictures I see of sororities on my college campus, through the Greek website at my school. My body type doesn't seem to fit in with the majority of the girls in sororities! I'll admit that out of everything there is to worry about rush that this is what I worry most about (and it's quite silly), but I've learned that first impressions are made on appearance alone in the first 7 seconds of meeting and we girls alone are very judging by nature. I know that there's a lot more to it, like how you carry yourself and confidence, but it's just so nerve-wracking. I especially freak out when I see pictures of girls in bikinis at some event... I've never worn a bikini in my life.

On an off-note, so maybe my question can be answered better, I'm a bigger girl. I weigh 170 at 5'9" and have been losing weight since January (successfully have lost 23 pounds, for health reasons). I'm still working out now and plan to continue to lose some weight throughout the rest of summer (hopefully 10 - 15 more pounds). Any help would be appereciated!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-14-2009, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diet coke View Post
Hi. I'm currently a sophomore and plan to rush in the fall. I was just wondering how much appearance is weighed when it comes to rushing, in your sorority or in general? That is, weight-wise. I know that appearance isn't everything and personality carries a long way too, but I'm a bit nervous about the pictures I see of sororities on my college campus, through the Greek website at my school. My body type doesn't seem to fit in with the majority of the girls in sororities! I'll admit that out of everything there is to worry about rush that this is what I worry most about (and it's quite silly), but I've learned that first impressions are made on appearance alone in the first 7 seconds of meeting and we girls alone are very judging by nature. I know that there's a lot more to it, like how you carry yourself and confidence, but it's just so nerve-wracking. I especially freak out when I see pictures of girls in bikinis at some event... I've never worn a bikini in my life.

On an off-note, so maybe my question can be answered better, I'm a bigger girl. I weigh 170 at 5'9" and have been losing weight since January (successfully have lost 23 pounds, for health reasons). I'm still working out now and plan to continue to lose some weight throughout the rest of summer (hopefully 10 - 15 more pounds). Any help would be appereciated!
Nobody on here can tell you how sororities choose their members, that is private information, however, a sorority choosing based solely on appearance and weight issues seems highly unlikely. Unless you roll up to recruitment in stained overalls, knotty hair, dirty white flip flops and no makeup on..that is a different story lol. I think sororities are more concerned with how put together a woman is..not her weight b/c trust me I would rather take a girl that weighs 200lbs with an awesome personality that dresses cute and stylish over a skinny stuck up beeyotch..but that's just me

Oh and P.S...I would'nt consider 170 for a girl who's 5'9" bigger...just so you know I would worry so much...be confident!!! Good luck
Old 06-14-2009, 07:40 PM

Member Selection info is private, so no one can tell you exactly how sororities select members or anything.

I will say this though, appearance is important, but moreso in terms of being "put together." It's more about how you carry yourself, not how much you weigh.

And really, there are alot of size 2 girls who don't get a bid because their personalities suck.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-19-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

First, different chapters have different membership selection procedures. Second, the importance of weight may vary among the individual members of a chapter. Third, membership selection is private, so no one can say for sure.

Like others have said, make sure you look polished during recruitment, neatly styled hair, flattering clothing, etc. When you look your best, you'll feel more confident and your personality will shine.

Last edited by violetpretty; 06-14-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

So I really wouldn't go crazy trying to lose weight for recruitment because it's really not that serious.
I disagree.

I'm not saying, "lose weight because sororities don't like fatties," I mean it more in that if it takes losing that extra 10-15 pounds this summer for the OP to be that much more confident in her own skin and less self-conscious, then that's what it takes. Sometimes a few extra pounds lost can really make the difference between a confident young woman who carries herself gracefully and a wallflower. If she's self-conscious about her weight, it will show.

This could apply to things other than weight, too.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

If you (or any woman) commits to taking care of her health it pays off in the long run. Learning about nutrition, portion sizes, and how to handle situations where you don't prepare food is a good life lesson, and for many it will result in natural healthy weight loss and increased health. Pair that with drinking water, vitamins, and some physical activity daily (even walking counts if done long or fast enough), there are benefits with skin and hair for those who are at a weight or size that is healthy for them.

Also when this goes for women of all ages, DO NOT BE A SLAVE TO NUMBERS ON CLOTHING! You will make yourself crazy and it is pointless to wear something ill fitting or unattractive because one mostly wears one size and this garment is different. Even more so for shoes. It is beneficial to have good undergarments, shoes that actually fit (no one can tell if that shoe is a 7 or 10), and if something needs to be taken in, up, down or what not, see a tailor.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
I disagree.

I'm not saying, "lose weight because sororities don't like fatties," I mean it more in that if it takes losing that extra 10-15 pounds this summer for the OP to be that much more confident in her own skin and less self-conscious, then that's what it takes. Sometimes a few extra pounds lost can really make the difference between a confident young woman who carries herself gracefully and a wallflower. If she's self-conscious about her weight, it will show.

This could apply to things other than weight, too.
agreed! as long as you're losing healthily, of course. unhealthy methods will take their toll on your appearance in other ways.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongreek View Post
agreed! as long as you're losing healthily, of course. unhealthy methods will take their toll on your appearance in other ways.
Exactly what I was going to add - don't starve yourself or work out 10 hours a day or take laxatives. These things tend not to have a good effect on your personality and if you're crabby because you haven't seen a sandwich for 3 weeks, it won't matter if you lost the last 15 pounds.

Make sure you dress for your body type - don't try to dress like the 5'1" girls who are 95 lbs soaking wet. Even when you do lose all the weight you want to, there are some "young" styles (particularly nowadays) that are not becoming at all for taller women - no matter HOW thin they are - and should be avoided. (Been there done that, I'm 5'8".)
Old 06-14-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
If something needs to be taken in, up, down or what not, see a tailor.
Agree! You'd be surprised what a needle and thread can do.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
No matter what your size--LOOK POLISHED AND PUT TOGETHER!
Looking tore up from the floor up ain't gonna cut it...period!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkle555 View Post
Nobody on here can tell you how sororities choose their members, that is private information, however, a sorority choosing based solely on appearance and weight issues seems highly unlikely. Unless you roll up to recruitment in stained overalls, knotty hair, dirty white flip flops and no makeup on..that is a different story lol. I think sororities are more concerned with how put together a woman is..not her weight b/c trust me I would rather take a girl that weighs 200lbs with an awesome personality that dresses cute and stylish over a skinny stuck up beeyotch..but that's just me

Oh and P.S...I would'nt consider 170 for a girl who's 5'9" bigger...just so you know I would worry so much...be confident!!! Good luck
Good job losing 23 lbs so far! From a medical perspective, 170# for a 5'9" woman is nearly a normal weight. Make sure you have a reasonable goal for your weight loss and keep up the good work! I hope you find a group of sisters who will accept you for you no matter what your weight might be.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

totally agreed with the above posters.

I think the best thing you can do for any woman going through rush - is to be as polished as you can and be confident
Old 06-15-2009, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

You're going to be rushing as a Junior. At many schools that's going to be a much bigger issue to overcome.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Serious note: All stated above are true and I would follow that advice.

Funny side note: A close guy friend of mine said he likes 'bigger chicks' because the 'bigger the cushion, the better the pushin'. So, just stay healthy and don't worry about your weight.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Also when this goes for women of all ages, DO NOT BE A SLAVE TO NUMBERS ON CLOTHING! You will make yourself crazy and it is pointless to wear something ill fitting or unattractive because one mostly wears one size and this garment is different.
This is SO true. Every company's sizes are different. Heck, I have tried on what i thought were two pairs of the same pants in the same size and both fit differently! In pants, for example, I have anything between a 6 and a 12. It just depends on the style, company, fit, design, etc. (It's annoying as heck, because I can't buy anything without trying it on...)