GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 299,944
Threads: 114,202
Posts: 2,151,438
Welcome to our newest member, sdfvcgfhgj
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 05-26-2009, 08:02 PM
IUHoosiergirl88 IUHoosiergirl88 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
This member of Sigma Kappa thanks you for not joining us & gracing us with your presence.

No comment from the ADPi peanut gallery...

As for the other person talking about sophomore recruitment...it's brutal. In my Rho Gamma group, several sophomores did get bids, but the number that were either cut or dropped were much higher. Most of those sophomores are now very bitter towards the greek system and greeks in general, and that's how many students on campus are. If they were cut, they think sorority women are, well, [insert stereotypes and swear words here] who hated them and only look at looks, etc. If you're going to rush at IU, I would HIGHLY suggest you do it as a freshman, that's my only regret about my greek experience thus far. I think that recruitment would've been less stressful and emotional than it was, even though it all worked out for me
__________________
First. Finest. Forever. <>ALPHA DELTA PI <>
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 AM
megmc megmc is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10
hello!

No backhanded compliments intended, I truly meant to say "thank you" for joining ADPi, I get the letters asking for monetary help for the chapter and that's just why it's nice to say "hey" to someone who has joined because those of us who were members back in the dorm days are all rooting for the chapter. As for telling my tale, I was meaning it as a way to show what it was like...yes, gulp...20 YEARS ago, ha ha, meaning many things have changed! ADPi has a house now, Sigma Kappa isn't even there anymore and AOPi is a totally new chapter, which is why I talked about those houses (there were actually others that I didn't care for which are still there but I didn't discuss). And yes, I was a total underdog since we lived in the dorms at the time yet we had a blast, so all I was saying was "congrats" and "yay to ADPi at IU" and that furthermore I know from first-hand experience it's a tough rush at IU. It's all good! Hope you have a great experience! :-)
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-27-2009, 12:51 AM
megmc megmc is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10
hey, at least I'm laughing, right? I have no problems laughing at myself, in fact I do it all the time! :-)
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-27-2009, 01:09 AM
als463 als463 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by megmc View Post
hey, at least I'm laughing, right? I have no problems laughing at myself, in fact I do it all the time! :-)
You have to honestly understand how you offended people on this forum. I can see why BetteDavisEyes was irritated that you would talk about the various GLOs on the IU campus, as if there was nothing wrong with doing that. As a member of Phi Mu, which happens to be a group at IU, I would be very upset if you spoke that way about my GLO, as well. Please watch what you say on here because you essentially put down some great NPC organizations (because in my eyes-EVERY NPC is great) by talking about your past. We all have those undesirable chapters on our campuses but, talking about it on a public forum can be bad news for those chapters.

On GC, we try to let girls know that they should be thankful and happy if they get a bid to ANY of the NPC organizations because they all have something great to offer. When you come on here and talk about the undesirable chapters at a particular school-well, that's just upsetting.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-27-2009, 01:46 AM
megmc megmc is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10
Sincere apologies, then. I thank you for shedding light on what this forum does and doesn't stand for. I'm new to the site and had only gone onto it to see about news re. ADPi at IU. I know for a fact they have some fantastic girls because I see it in the newsletter I receive. I wasn't trying to pull them down whatsoever by thanking someone for joining, quite the contrary.

However, for the other chapters I mentioned, I do entirely realize now that I was mistaken for doing so. (In fact, it's funny because Phi Mu was my favorite going thru rush back in the day, before I found ADPi that is!) My bad, and my mistake for sure for mentioning those details. It's ironic, because I have actually been DYING to connect with some AXDis, AOPis, Tri Sigs (who were in the dorms with us) or Sigma Kappas from IU back then to swap tales, as it would make for a great story actually in a war-story way. Many funny stories there I'm sure!

Anyway, on a serious note, please accept my apologies for offending anyone. I have literally barely thought about my sorority since I graduated, but for the wonders of Facebook I've reconnected (happily so!) and it's made me prouder than ever to be a member of ADPi at IU, so that's why I posted. But admittedly I didn't think about the rules and regulations of the board.

Above all, though, I do thoroughly enjoy laughing at myself every day, and hope everyone--whether they're a TriDelt, an Alpha Phi, or an ADPi (and I'm a legacy or member of all, so there is no bias or resentment at any direct shout-out there, ha!) has a laugh daily. Because that's what's really important, isn't it?

And Phi Mu at IU, you guys seriously rock. I remember fondly going through rush there when it was the first year you had gotten your house, and I still 20 years later remember one member telling me stories during rush about their experience living at the dorms, it was hilarious. Because IU rush is IU rush, I did end up getting cut from Phi Mu at the tail end, but I always admired that "laugh at yourself" spirit--and I hope that NO one takes themselves too seriously, because in the end you'll just be miserable, no?

Fondly,

megmc
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 05-27-2009, 01:54 AM
megmc megmc is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10
p.s.: I don't even know what GLO means, that's who clueless I am/shouldn't be posting to a Greek site, ha ha!
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 05-27-2009, 11:49 AM
VandalSquirrel VandalSquirrel is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by megmc View Post
Sincere apologies, then. I thank you for shedding light on what this forum does and doesn't stand for. I'm new to the site and had only gone onto it to see about news re. ADPi at IU. I know for a fact they have some fantastic girls because I see it in the newsletter I receive. I wasn't trying to pull them down whatsoever by thanking someone for joining, quite the contrary.

However, for the other chapters I mentioned, I do entirely realize now that I was mistaken for doing so. (In fact, it's funny because Phi Mu was my favorite going thru rush back in the day, before I found ADPi that is!) My bad, and my mistake for sure for mentioning those details. It's ironic, because I have actually been DYING to connect with some AXDis, AOPis, Tri Sigs (who were in the dorms with us) or Sigma Kappas from IU back then to swap tales, as it would make for a great story actually in a war-story way. Many funny stories there I'm sure!

Anyway, on a serious note, please accept my apologies for offending anyone. I have literally barely thought about my sorority since I graduated, but for the wonders of Facebook I've reconnected (happily so!) and it's made me prouder than ever to be a member of ADPi at IU, so that's why I posted. But admittedly I didn't think about the rules and regulations of the board.

Above all, though, I do thoroughly enjoy laughing at myself every day, and hope everyone--whether they're a TriDelt, an Alpha Phi, or an ADPi (and I'm a legacy or member of all, so there is no bias or resentment at any direct shout-out there, ha!) has a laugh daily. Because that's what's really important, isn't it?

And Phi Mu at IU, you guys seriously rock. I remember fondly going through rush there when it was the first year you had gotten your house, and I still 20 years later remember one member telling me stories during rush about their experience living at the dorms, it was hilarious. Because IU rush is IU rush, I did end up getting cut from Phi Mu at the tail end, but I always admired that "laugh at yourself" spirit--and I hope that NO one takes themselves too seriously, because in the end you'll just be miserable, no?

Fondly,

megmc
Do you have a soon to be attending college daughter?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 05-28-2009, 12:03 AM
megmc megmc is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10
Sure do, VandalSquirrel--why, in fact, I have eight daughters entering college soon, all of whom will be attending rush at a college near you--be afraid, be very afraid! :-)
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-28-2009, 12:09 AM
violetpretty violetpretty is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: A state with a North-South identity crisis
Posts: 3,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by megmc View Post
Sure do, VandalSquirrel--why, in fact, I have eight daughters entering college soon, all of whom will be attending rush at a college near you--be afraid, be very afraid! :-)
QFP
__________________
Sigma Kappa
~*~ Beta Zeta ~*~
MARYLAND
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-28-2009, 12:23 AM
megmc megmc is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10
What for the record IS QFP anyway? ha ha ha! You guys are crackin' me up over here, I gotta tells ya's alls. Almost want to write a thinly veiled novel about it...would be CLASSIC fo sho.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-28-2009, 01:18 AM
VandalSquirrel VandalSquirrel is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by megmc View Post
Sure do, VandalSquirrel--why, in fact, I have eight daughters entering college soon, all of whom will be attending rush at a college near you--be afraid, be very afraid! :-)
Well I was asking a serious question, not sure why you felt the need to answer me in such a flippant manner.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 05-28-2009, 01:25 AM
megmc megmc is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10
And yes, I was serious. I have eight daughters entering college within the next eight years. Was just joking about be afraid aspect.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 05-28-2009, 01:40 AM
VandalSquirrel VandalSquirrel is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by megmc View Post
And yes, I was serious. I have eight daughters entering college within the next eight years. Was just joking about be afraid aspect.
I thought you meant 8 all at once. I'm not afraid of much, other than the movie Idiocracy coming true.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 05-28-2009, 01:49 AM
megmc megmc is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10
Well then, we have something in common after all! Very well!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 05-29-2009, 12:42 PM
IUGreekGirl IUGreekGirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bloomington, Indiana
Posts: 52
Ok GCers, lets try to stay on topic.
If you think some one is out of line then you can PM them, lambasting people for comments that come off as offensive doesn't have a place in this thread.
__________________
Indiana We're All For You
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
indiana university recruitment questions/advice hoosierlover78 Sorority Recruitment 70 01-08-2009 03:25 PM
Indiana University Spring Informal Recruitment Bubbly4546 Recruitment 4 02-06-2008 05:31 PM
Indiana University SECMom Sorority Recruitment 6 08-26-2007 08:46 PM
Indiana University of Pittsburgh? AGPhiBete Delta Gamma 1 02-17-2006 10:25 AM
Indiana University recruitment AZ-AlphaXi Recruitment 18 01-18-2004 10:20 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.