GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 297,034
Threads: 114,112
Posts: 2,150,311
Welcome to our newest member, aittytopy7812
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 04-20-2009, 01:24 AM
moe.ron moe.ron is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southeast Asia
Posts: 8,948
Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHISIGPSITRITON View Post
Christ sake man do you have any loyalty to your Fraternity? If its not a good fraternity then change it. You know America is in a rough spot right now, not the best place to live so why don't you move to France? Go apologize to your brothers right now you spineless punk!
I've lived in France, great place to live.
__________________
Spambot Killer
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-20-2009, 03:28 PM
frattylite frattylite is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2
If my organization found out that you were initiated into another fraternity, you would automatically be depledged or expelled, both as a constitutional issue but also as a matter of honor.

Even if you weren't initiated, most orgs would not want to take another group's "rejects," and so would probably blackball you.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Rahwyn Rahwyn is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2
Honestly im in a Fraternity myself. And i know plenty of members that have left Fraternities and joined others. I am not one of them nor do i support it. But hey S*** happens. They did get pledged really hard. However what we fail to understand is that Fraternities and Sororities dont stand for what they used to. I dont Care What fraternity your in, there is something that is lacking. Which is perfectly human. If you joined that organization as a freshman. You obviously matured into yourself and saw that the fraternity doesnt have much to offer you as you get older. After college life honestly you can "DROP" your letters and join another org as long as they are not in the same Council. Think about it. Who will really care and who will really know. You will be an Alumni with a job and the party days will pretty much be over. The question to ask yourself is will you be satisfied with your decision? Will it affect your personal life in any way? The bottom line is alot of people will say who will respect you, or who will take you seriously. But does it really matter after you graduate Undergrad. Are they in your shoes, NO, so they cant fully answer this question for you. Would you rather dismiss your "frat life" and hide it from your life or join something and be proud of it. Be a member that can make changes and offer something to Society. Thats my take.

RaH

P.S. And please i know MANY MANY orgs that has done this in IFC, NPC, NPHC, MCGC,IIRC and the list goes on.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 PM
magichat magichat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 89
How does somebody drop an NIC/IFC fraternity after college and join another one?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Elephant Walk Elephant Walk is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Occupied Territory CSA
Posts: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by magichat View Post
How does somebody drop an NIC/IFC fraternity after college and join another one?
I suppose he would be referring to NPHC...although you could get an honorary like Mike Huckabee.
__________________
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance it happens very far away way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-22-2009, 08:48 PM
nate2512 nate2512 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Deep South
Posts: 809
Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
I suppose he would be referring to NPHC...although you could get an honorary like Mike Huckabee.
or rudy.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-22-2009, 10:33 PM
unDOVEated1920 unDOVEated1920 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: dallas
Posts: 8
No you can't. Once youre in a fraternity that for life. How did you become a frat as a freshman? Must not be apart of the divine nine.
__________________
a lovely lady of zeta phi beta
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-23-2009, 05:00 AM
knight_shadow knight_shadow is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by unDOVEated1920 View Post
No you can't. Once youre in a fraternity that for life. How did you become a frat as a freshman? Must not be apart of the divine nine.
Exactly. Several organizations encourage members to pledge as early as possible. And not all organizations follow the "in it for life" mentality.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahwyn View Post
Honestly im in a Fraternity myself. And i know plenty of members that have left Fraternities and joined others. I am not one of them nor do i support it. But hey S*** happens. They did get pledged really hard. However what we fail to understand is that Fraternities and Sororities dont stand for what they used to. I dont Care What fraternity your in, there is something that is lacking. Which is perfectly human. If you joined that organization as a freshman. You obviously matured into yourself and saw that the fraternity doesnt have much to offer you as you get older. After college life honestly you can "DROP" your letters and join another org as long as they are not in the same Council. Think about it. Who will really care and who will really know. You will be an Alumni with a job and the party days will pretty much be over. The question to ask yourself is will you be satisfied with your decision? Will it affect your personal life in any way? The bottom line is alot of people will say who will respect you, or who will take you seriously. But does it really matter after you graduate Undergrad. Are they in your shoes, NO, so they cant fully answer this question for you. Would you rather dismiss your "frat life" and hide it from your life or join something and be proud of it. Be a member that can make changes and offer something to Society. Thats my take.

RaH

P.S. And please i know MANY MANY orgs that has done this in IFC, NPC, NPHC, MCGC,IIRC and the list goes on.
Umm...speak for yourself. There are several people here who don't feel their Greek experiences are lacking.

And I think that we forget that people talk to one another. If you were a member of an organization, chances are other people knew you were a member. You might be able to slip through the cracks, but to say that there's no way to get caught is naive.
__________________
*does side bends and sit-ups*
*doesn't lose butt*

Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-23-2009, 05:43 PM
rhoyaltempest rhoyaltempest is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahwyn View Post
Honestly im in a Fraternity myself. And i know plenty of members that have left Fraternities and joined others. I am not one of them nor do i support it. But hey S*** happens. They did get pledged really hard. However what we fail to understand is that Fraternities and Sororities dont stand for what they used to. I dont Care What fraternity your in, there is something that is lacking. Which is perfectly human. If you joined that organization as a freshman. You obviously matured into yourself and saw that the fraternity doesnt have much to offer you as you get older. After college life honestly you can "DROP" your letters and join another org as long as they are not in the same Council. Think about it. Who will really care and who will really know. You will be an Alumni with a job and the party days will pretty much be over. The question to ask yourself is will you be satisfied with your decision? Will it affect your personal life in any way? The bottom line is alot of people will say who will respect you, or who will take you seriously. But does it really matter after you graduate Undergrad. Are they in your shoes, NO, so they cant fully answer this question for you. Would you rather dismiss your "frat life" and hide it from your life or join something and be proud of it. Be a member that can make changes and offer something to Society. Thats my take.

RaH

P.S. And please i know MANY MANY orgs that has done this in IFC, NPC, NPHC, MCGC,IIRC and the list goes on.
Please speak for yourself and your org only. You are not in everyone's organization to know if there's anything lacking or not. And most members don't see their organizations as little social clubs that they will leave whenever things aren't what they want them to be or when things change. Most members are in it for the good and bad times and understand that it is what you make it and things will change because life is always changing. Someone that just wants to up and leave their org because things changed or their situation changed was never really loyal to their organization in the first place. And please leave the NPHC out of this because if you knew anything about us you would know that most of our members take our organizations very serious and alumnae membership is on a totally different level for us and we are encouraged to become even more active AFTER we graduate. So if someone slips thru the cracks and happens to get into one of our orgs after being in another, they lied and they are taking big risks that their lie will come to light and there is always someone who knows someone else. Our circles are a lot smaller than you think but you're on the outside looking in so you really don't know of which you speak. One thing I've learned from being in my org 16 years now and being active as an alumnae is that the org is what you make it and if you're unsatisfied you work to change it. And it's more about what you put in so that you can get more out of it. You'd know that if you knew what you were talking about. You don't simply trade one in for another because guess what, one day the new org that you slipped into won't be all that you want either and then what...go to another? Again, speak for your org only.

And I seriously doubt you know PLENTY of members who've done this. Outright LIE.
__________________
ΣΓΡ
"True Beauties Wear 10 Pearls and 2 Rubies"

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 04-23-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-24-2009, 09:24 AM
MysticCat MysticCat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: A dark and very expensive forest
Posts: 12,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
And not all organizations follow the "in it for life" mentality.
Actually, every organization I know of follows the "in it for life" mentality. It's some members of some organizations that don't follow that mentality.
__________________
AMONG MEN HARMONY
1898
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 AM
knight_shadow knight_shadow is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Actually, every organization I know of follows the "in it for life" mentality. It's some members of some organizations that don't follow that mentality.
Oops. That's what I meant to say.
__________________
*does side bends and sit-ups*
*doesn't lose butt*

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-25-2009, 04:29 AM
JohnnyCash JohnnyCash is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: America's Penis
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by unDOVEated1920 View Post
No you can't. Once youre in a fraternity that for life. How did you become a frat as a freshman? Must not be apart of the divine nine.
*A part
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-25-2009, 07:12 AM
Senusret I Senusret I is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCash View Post
*A part
Just "part" -- generally doesn't need an article.
__________________
I am proud that my last post on this site was telling Kevin to suck my dick.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-01-2009, 09:04 AM
angelfireusanj angelfireusanj is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
NIC policy

Most of the groups I have seen are the "in it for life" category, if the members practice that is another story. As far as disassociating from a fraternity that is NIC there's a 5 year rule. I don't remember the exact phrasing but if you notify your national of disassociating, you can join another group after 5 years. The point being no one can force loyalty but we can make it practically impossible to make any switch. That being said, even if this guy stayed in college for at least another 5 years, it'd be pretty interesting to see them try and explain that he'd been in college for at least 6 years and wants to join a different org since he didn't care about the previous one. Sometimes, what seems like the easy way out is actually the hardest.

This post is only redundant to 15 of the past 20 or something posts, right?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-01-2009, 09:47 AM
knight_shadow knight_shadow is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfireusanj View Post
As far as disassociating from a fraternity that is NIC there's a 5 year rule. I don't remember the exact phrasing but if you notify your national of disassociating, you can join another group after 5 years.
I've never heard that one before. I've heard of several people jumping between NIC fraternities within 5 years, though.
__________________
*does side bends and sit-ups*
*doesn't lose butt*

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching to Deferred Recruitment lollik313 Recruitment 1 02-13-2007 10:17 PM
Advice on switching majors epchick Academics 46 07-04-2005 11:43 AM
switching organzations uda1girl2002 Alpha Kappa Alpha 1 11-22-2004 08:46 AM
Switching Family Trees ?!?! alphabug02 Greek Life 28 11-04-2003 10:11 AM
Switching Positions (it's not what you think) Dionysus Careers & Employment 3 10-30-2002 01:44 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.