GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,208
0 members and 2,208 guests
No Members online

Old 03-07-2007, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

so much for not getting my hopes up....

rush is winding down and bid day is coming all too soon. I know i'm not supposed to get my hopes up but... how is that at all possible!? i want it so bad! the scenarios are running through my head... and i don't believe that i got this far. im terrified, im anxious, and im clueless!

any words of wisdom?
anything?

advice is much appreciated!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

i don't understand your post.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Take deep breaths, be yourself at whatever parties you have left, and don't stress about it. Occupy yourself with something else, hang out with friends, just don't talk about it. You'll only make the waiting worse for yourself.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
i don't understand your post.
Translation:
"Rush is coming to a close and soon it will be bid day. I feel that I am not supposed to get my hopes up, but nonetheless I find myself doing so. I find myself going over a plethora of options in my mind. I'm nervous about the outcome.

Any advice, words of wisdom, etc. for the last days of recruitment would be much obliged."
Old 03-07-2007, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are still attending recruitment events, be sure and be yourself. Smile-- it makes you appear interested. Answer questions in complete sentences, rather than answering yes or no. Ask your recruiter about herself and her interests, as well as questions about sorority programs, socials and events. Get a feel for the ladies you meet as your potential friends.

Look around at the PNMs attending parties with you. Chat with them in between events. These ladies are your potential future sisters.

If you are enjoying a sorority event or really liking a sorority, tell your hostess-- I'm having such a great time at XYZ! You have made me really comfortable/at home here.

If you're not enjoying a chapter, grin and bear it. You may not love it, but there are women there who have pledged their hearts to it, as well as PNMs who like it. Keep any opinions to yourself and ignore gossip and rumors. Make your own choices and allow others to do the same. Don't be swayed by the opinions of friends or relatives or the gossip among the PNMs. Join the sorority where you are most comfortable.

Cuts happen for a variety of reasons. Return to the max. number of parties to which you can attend each day, be pleasant inside and outside at the events, do well in school and be a lady. This includes the way you dress. You don't need to turn into a fashion plate, but dress the part-- be classy and look your personal best whether you are at a recruitment event, out on the town or going to class. If you are cut by a chapter you liked, I still encourage you to see recruitment through the end. Recruitment is only one week of your life and you have really only had the most limited interactions with the sororirites. If you get cut by a chapter you liked, it is ok to be disappointed, but keep in mind you've really only chatted with a few of the members for maybe an hour at most! Keep it in perspective.

Find a few chapters you really like each day, rather than just one that you absolutely must-have. Keeping an open mind to this way of thinking will help you to have the best recruitment possible.

Last of all, have fun and make new friends! Once events are over for the day, try to do something else and not dwell on recruitment or talk about it too much. Read a book. Go shopping. Do homework. Hang out with some friends. Play a sport.

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2007, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you for the advice, you're right - need to stop thinking about it. it's a stressful time is all. im sure many of you have been there as well. i have had a great time with rush and if nothing else i am happy to have seen what greek life is really about. i have a new respect for the members of greek life at my college. i see now that going into rush i was naive to everything that sororities have to offer, and i am so glad that i participated.

wish me luck
Old 03-07-2007, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! Try not to sound so discouraged. If you let on to the girls that you're scared you're not getting a bid or that you're miserably awaiting bid day, they may not be very excited about you. Stay positive, upbeat and cheerful! Make them see what you're all about. Push the fear to the back of your mind and just concentrate on getting to know the girls and having them get to know you.

Please keep us posted and let us know the outcome! Hang in there!
Old 03-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

thanks for the translation, dgdramadawg. i could not tell whether this pnm was still in the running or if she had been released from recruitment.

good luck to you, pearle23.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearle23 View Post
thank you for the advice, you're right - need to stop thinking about it. it's a stressful time is all.

I think every potential new member stresses during this period... the night before bid day and during that day before bids are handed out is the worst! But it seems like you are taking the right stuff away from recruitment, whether or not you pledge.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Just hang in there and take the excellent advice everyone has offered. Keeping that open mind is essential. It is hard to not have favorites - we all did, but remember that each sisterhood has similar things to offer (ritual, membership for life, social events, leadership opportunities) and being greek is the goal. Be true to yourself and you will be happy! Good luck - we are all wishing you the best!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

rush the first week of March?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
rush the first week of March?
If the school she's in has trimesters, it's possible. Spring rush didn't even start here yet...we just started the spring tri on Tuesday!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 03-09-2007, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck and keep us updated.

Take a breather!
Old 03-10-2007, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

hi everyone!

sooo... i GOT IT!
i am so excited about this, thank you everyone for keeping me calm!
i will be pledging AOII !! WOOHOO!
Old 03-10-2007, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

congratulations to you & AOII!!!