GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,665
2 members and 1,663 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Y'all gotta TELL me when you're talkin' bout Chi O!

Old 03-13-2008, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
That is, however, the official public story given by Alpha Chi Omega for their name. Whether there's more to the story, only Alpha Chi Omega's sisters know, and I'm sure none of us expect them to tell.

Like Kappa Alpha (Society or Order) and Kappa Alpha Theta? Or Kappa Alpha Psi? Or Alpha Kappa Alpha? Or Pi Kappa Alpha?

Sigma Phi and Sigma Phi Epsilon?

Delta Phi and Delta Phi Epsilon? Or Alpha Delta Phi?

Kappa Sigma and Phi Kappa Sigma?

Sigma Kappa and Phi Sigma Kappa?

Phi Mu, Phi Mu Delta and Phi Mu Alpha?

There are lots of these coincidences. I wouldn't read too much into them.
Ditto. And some of my favorite coincidences...

Zeta Phi Beta
Zeta Beta Tau
Zeta Tau Alpha

(If there was only a Zeta Alpha Phi, the circle would be complete.)

and...

Phi Kappa Psi
Phi Kappa Sigma
Phi Kappa Tau
Phi Kappa Theta
Old 03-15-2008, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

REcently D Phi E has noticed that the service fraternity is becoming more like a coed social organization, and they have done some advertising on UTube....using some of our sisterhood pictures and such. It's very interesting and funny to me, but not really in a good way.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Ditto. And some of my favorite coincidences...

Zeta Phi Beta
Zeta Beta Tau
Zeta Tau Alpha

(If there was only a Zeta Alpha Phi, the circle would be complete.)

and...

Phi Kappa Psi
Phi Kappa Sigma
Phi Kappa Tau
Phi Kappa Theta

And don't forget these as well......
- Alpha Delta Phi (ADPhi)
- Alpha Epsilon Phi (AEPhi)
- Alpha Epsilon Pi (AEPi)
- Alpha Delta Pi (ADPi)
- Alpha Omicron Pi (AOPi)

Also, I just found out that there is a local fraternity @ SUNY-Geneseo called Zeta Beta Xi (ZBXi) that has the same colors and similar crest as ZBT.

Last edited by DEVODUDE; 03-16-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
And...
Alpha Phi
Alpha Phi Omega
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Tau Omega

I guarantee there was no connection between these four when they were founded.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVODUDE View Post
And don't forget these as well......
- Alpha Delta Phi (ADPhi)
- Alpha Epsilon Phi (AEPhi)
- Alpha Epsilon Pi (AEPi)
- Alpha Delta Pi (ADPi)
- Alpha Omicron Pi (AOPi)

Also, I just found out that there is a local fraternity @ SUNY-Geneseo called Zeta Beta Xi (ZBXi) that has the same colors and similar crest as ZBT.
Plus.....
- Alpha Gamma Rho
- Alpha Gamma Delta
- Alpha Xi Delta
- Alpha Phi Delta
- Alpha Detla Gamma
- Phi Alpha Delta (Pre-Law)
Old 03-16-2008, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denitta View Post
REcently D Phi E has noticed that the service fraternity is becoming more like a coed social organization, and they have done some advertising on UTube....using some of our sisterhood pictures and such. It's very interesting and funny to me, but not really in a good way.
wow.. that's messed up they are using pics of women in your organization w/o their permission to promote their own org
Old 03-18-2008, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Truly messed up, I agree.^^
Old 03-19-2008, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVODUDE View Post
Zeta Beta Xi at SUNY Geneseo began as a chapter of ZBT, but they went local shortly after chartering.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Zeta Beta Xi at SUNY Geneseo began as a chapter of ZBT, but they went local shortly after chartering.

They began as an "Interest Group," before they decided to convert to a local Fraternity. It never gained colony or chapter recognition status, according to the Northeast Expansion Committee.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MsDGP007 Send a message via Yahoo to MsDGP007
Smile

First of all, let me begin by saying I love my sisterhood with all my heart. But it is pretty murky territory when it comes to fraternal insignia. My own sorority is only one letter different from Delta Gamma in name and our colors are not the same but similar (ours are pink, sky blue and white...theirs are pink, blue and bronze). Not to mention our actual colors are the same (in interpretation...if not by name exactly) as Gamma Phi Delta, Beta Phi Omega, and others I can't think of off the top of my head. Then our mascot, the White Bengal Tiger is the mascot for at least 4 other multicultural organizations (Lambda Psi Delta, Delta Xi Phi, Lambda Fe Uson, and Delta Sigma Chi...that I know of).

Our sorority was founded in 1998; the internet was around...but not every fraternity or sorority was online back then. The NPHC/IFC/NPC groups sure...but not the non-affiliated ones. Even so, it's hard to figure out exactly what was in our founder's minds....I mean we, of course, are taught the meaning behind our insignia. But they had to come up with everything by themselves -- (and I'm not saying they were not original) and they were also going on a lot of precedent. Sometimes, you have to realize there is no reason to re-invent the wheel. If they did a pick-and-choose type-thing...I do not know. But ultimately, it all comes together into something unique.

When I pledged back in 2001, I did not do all this research into other organization's insignia; I was too busy trying to learn and master my own!

I don't know -- personally I've never encountered any beef about my sorority's insignia (LOL...maybe that may change now! ). And I'm definitely not condoning copy-cats...don't get me wrong there! I guess I'm just saying that colors and symbolism....even the letters themselves are not all there is to a sisterhood or brotherhood. It's petty to think otherwise; that's all I'm really try to say.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
I read that thing about Alpha + Kai + Omega on AXO's national website, so I'm sure that's true. I don't know about Chi Omega, though. Probably just a coincidence.
The Chi Omega website also confirms the previously stated origin of their name.

As for AOII and ADPi, there is really no relationship. ADPi started as the Adelphian society then changed to ADPhi then ADPi once they realized that ADPhi was a men's fraternity as well. AOII, however, was always AOII and had the name prior to ADPi changing to greek letters from the Adelphian Society. From the appearance of our symbols, etc., there are no other similarities between the two groups.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 03-24-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to haywoodjackson Send a message via AIM to haywoodjackson Send a message via MSN to haywoodjackson Send a message via Yahoo to haywoodjackson
That's exactly what I was thinking! I know there's not a problem with another organization duplicating any of the Divine 9 orgs...but again with today's technology and means of communication, there really should be no reason why there should be another organization with another. That's pretty funny that I went to this topic, 'cause I was talking to him about this with my frat bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNYC2 View Post
i understand back in the days when communication was more difficult, but today with the advent of the internet and other forms of communication, there should be no reason for groups to have more than one name. if you're gonna have a 3 letter org, there are 13824 possible letter arrangements. i know there are bout probably between 200 & 300 already taken up by Social, Honorary, Music, Service & Professional orgs, but you still got a whole lot left to choose from.
#4 Short Circuit
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc
Omicron Xi Lambda Chapter
Prince Hall Affiliated Free & Accepted MASON
Old 04-17-2008, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I was surprised to learn a couple months ago that there is a Kappa Delta (local) fraternity at Pomona College. I worked with a girl who goes to Pomona over my winter break, and she noticed me wearing my letters one day, so she told me about them. Apparently they were founded before Kappa Delta Sorority, and they still exist today.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterChild View Post
I was surprised to learn a couple months ago that there is a Kappa Delta (local) fraternity at Pomona College. I worked with a girl who goes to Pomona over my winter break, and she noticed me wearing my letters one day, so she told me about them. Apparently they were founded before Kappa Delta Sorority, and they still exist today.
It says here Kappa Delta Fraternity was established in 1903.

You guys were first, 1897.
Closed Thread